Tuesday, August 21, 2007

The 'dudedom' that was Bob


Now let me tell the story, I can tell it all
About the mountain boy who ran illegal alcohol.
His daddy made the whiskey, son, he drove the load
When his engine roared,
They called the highway Thunder Road.
I only mention Thunder Road because it was on TCM last week and I hadn’t seen it since I was in high school. At that time, when I was 16 or so, I thought it was perhaps the finest film since Citizen Kane.
Actually, I thought it was better because, with the perceptions of an adolescent, Kane to me was a bit boring, and boasted no hot cars. You know, there was the sled, but that was about it. Thunder Road not only boasted hot cars, it primarily boasted Robert Mitchum. They broke the mold when they made Bob, and since he has shuffled off this mortal coil (probably swaggered rather than shuffled) there has been none to replace him.
It’s a sad commentary on contemporary culture to realize that nobody in the film biz has even a small percentage of the macho ‘dudeness’ of Bob. It was a demeanor that always suggested “I don’t give a shit,” and that was why his acting chops were superlative, always.
I was once told, when I was in my early 20s, that I looked “sort of” like Mitchum. It was a glorious moment for me, with my tender youthful ego. Mitchum wasn’t Hollywood collar-ad in appearance, like a Rock Hudson, for example. Instead, he was cool looking. Sleepy eyed and slow moving, the seeming lethargy could at once erupt into rage if the role called for it.
He was also a bad boy; busted for pot in the late 1940s back when virtually nobody toked, he drank; he allegedly caroused with assorted women (though always stayed married to the same one), smoked, and carried on as if he didn’t much care what others thought. In truth, he didn’t. Acting, to him, was a job and nothing more, and a dead easy one at that. So he said.
Part of his laconic tough-guy pose was just that. He was (despite a misspent youth that included time on a Georgia chain gang) a bit of a renaissance man. He wrote poetry and songs (including Thunder Road), was a student of dialects, and his Aussie twang in The Sundowners was flawless. Asked by David Lean when he wanted to cast him in Ryan’s Daughter, if he could do an Irish accent, Mitchum merely asked him: “Which one? There are dozens of them.” The scholarly Lean did not know that.
If I had to choose a favorite Mitchum flick, it would be The Night of the Hunter. Mitchum as the psycho fake preacher man (shown above) who is set on murdering two young children who knew he had killed their mom, is terrifying in this classy suspenser.
Later in life his past caught up with him, to a degree. On Johnny Carson one night, near the end of his life, Carson said: “I understand you stopped drinking,” Mitchum, looking a bit dissolute, dragged long on his Marlboro, and said: “Yeah – my wife said it was time I stopped being an asshole in public, so I quit.” That was a genuine Mitchum moment.
So, where are the Mitchums of today? They are rare. Nick Nolte has some Mitchum episodes, and Clint in his Dirty Harry days was worthy of holding Bob’s coat. But neither of them has been able to capture one important aspect of the Mitchum persona: a seeming lack of self-involvement that suggests: "Don't ask too much about me, because I won't tell you."

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Jazz said...

Nobody today is like Mitchum. Not a one of them. Today's Hollywood bad boys come across much more as the annoying brats they are. The aura is gone.

More's the pity.

12:07 PM  
Blogger Judy said...

Well, well, well... An interesting blog... ; )

I came over out of curiosity: Meggie said she'd come from your place, and I didn't even know who Meggie was. I've seen you here and there. Just never had a chance to come visit.

Good post, and ironically my current one hangs on a classic film and stars, though they are simply framing a more personal story. Hah! You're curious! (Be sure to view the video at the end).

And on another note, my father grew up on the same block as Jimmy Cagney (who also considered acting his "job"). They stayed in touch until Cagney's death.

Anyway (pardon my rambling), it's a pleasure to find your blog, and I'll come by again. You seem to have interesting things to say.

12:21 PM  
Blogger laughingwolf said...

bob was a good ol dude, and i enjoyed his flicks immensely

like jazz sez, today's 'actors' are not even worth mentioning

also miss the likes of david niven, lee marvin, bob taylor, burt lancaster, edward g. robinson, spencer tracy, gary cooper, and a few others i can't recall right now...

2:00 PM  
Blogger Big Brother said...

It wasn't just Bob, look at the female actresses. Is there any of the modern bunch who can even come close to an actress like Katherine Hepburn?

2:56 PM  
Blogger meggie said...

This is a very interesting post & tribute to Bob Mitchum. I like him too, & I agree, there are none to match him today.
I used to enjoy wathing Glen Ford--no one seems to have heard of him today!
I am a fan of yours, & have been recommending you!

3:38 PM  
Blogger CS said...

And did you know Thunder Road is based on a story that actually happened in Knoxville, Tennessee? The real name of the road is Kingston Pike, which doesn't sound nearly as dangerous.

7:25 PM  
Blogger Ian Lidster said...

Jazz: Annoying brats indeed. Bob was a 'man' for all his flaws.

ww: I did watch your video from one of my favorites and, Mitchum notwithstanding, Bogey was my cinematic favorite. Interesting about your dad and Cagney.

laughingwolf: Spencer Tracy in Bad Day at Black Rock. With one arm he brought the bad guys to their knees.

Big brother: How about Bette Davis, for example. Oh, and my adored Judy Holliday.

Meggie: The great unsung Glen Ford. Absolutely. Understated and riveing. Oh, and a Canadian, too.

cs: That's fascinating about Thunder Road. Actually, I was thinking about you when I wrote it, because I knew the scenario was not far from your neck of the woods. Would love to know more about that.

9:41 AM  
Blogger heartinsanfrancisco said...

Yes, Kingston Pike is still there, but it doesn't have the dangerous ring of Thunder Road. (Nearly every passageway in TN is called Something Pike or Ville, pronounced V'll.)

Robert Mitchum has no present-day descendants. Nor does Bogie. Sigh.

6:01 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home