Saturday, August 18, 2007

'Kyoozeen' is what they call it, Ma

My father was a ‘meat-and-potatoes’ kinda guy. You don’t hear that expression much any more, but that was what he was. The exotic in cuisine was something that, on his part, had to be regarded with caution and wariness. This was something especially apparent to me when I was a kid. We did not suffer any misapprehensions about culinary sophistication.

Dining for us called for nothing ‘foreign’ to be put on the table, especially in front of Dad. His idea of exotic was Franco-American Spaghetti. And, growing up in such a household it wasn’t until I was in high school that I first went to an ‘ethnic’ restaurant.

Meals in the family home were basic in nature. Granted, there wasn’t a lot of money to be spent frivolously, but even so, there was even less inventiveness or sense-of-adventure. Meatloaf, sausages and mashed potatoes, repellent canned peas, pork chops, macaroni-and-cheese (which was served far too often, leaving me disliking it to this day), and then the big Sunday roast. Sometimes beef, but more usually pork or lamb because they were cheaper. Maybe a chicken on rare occasions and, for some odd reason, chicken was considered almost a gourmet treat.

I’ll give Mom credit. She tried to educate our reluctant palates in the direction dishes she’d heard about, and she would doggedly follow recipes from Ladies Home Journal, McCall’s or Family Circle, and attempt to foist the concoctions on her family, only to be greeted with:

“What’s this stuff?”

“It’s called Beef Stroganoff.”

“I don’t like it.”

“You haven’t even tried it.”

“I still know I don’t like it. It looks like dog-food and smells like puke.”

We didn’t dine out much when I was a kid. We never went to fancy restaurants, and ‘never’ to foreign ones. In my home community, the Vancouver suburb of Burnaby, There were some basic places, a couple of Chinese joints (too foreign for Dad), and our 'mainstay.' Our mainstay was a place called Rob Roy. I doubt if there was a Scottish connection, somehow. I recall their slogan was “Coffee till the pot runs dry.” Not much of an enticement for me, since I didn’t consume much coffee at that age. If we were to go out en famille, it was usually to Rob Roy for some fare like the aforementioned meatloaf, or maybe a ‘hot roast beef sandwich’ on white bread, smeared with gloppy cornstarch thickened gravy. Never a hamburger. For some reason we never went for burgers when I was a kid.


Many years later I would marvel at the sophisticated tastes in dining of my stepdaughter when she was about twelve. She showed how cosmopolitan culinary tastes have become during my lifetime. For example, she not only loved sushi, but also could actually prepare it and use the correct terminology. But, she grew up loving exotic things like sushi (this was over a decade ago. I know sushi is not considered especially exotic these days and is indeed as common as, say, tongue-piercing, but when I lived with her it was still a little exotic) in an era where somebody going out for a bite can toss up among Italian, Thai, Indian, Vietnamese, or Szechewan.

Furthermore, my own tastes expanded hugely to the degree that what was once deemed foreign is now the norm, and I am always game for something new. Furthermore, there has been a bit of a quantum shift in what has become regular fare for me. When we were living in France last fall our two favorite restaurants were not Gallic haute cuisine places, but a Vietnamese eatery and an Indian joint. As the cultural mosaic in my part of the world has changed so much, those two places felt like we were eating at home.

Labels:

8 Comments:

Blogger jmb said...

Thank goodness we are not still stuck with the culinary delights (or not) of our youth.
I never even ate in a restaurant until I was about 19 or 20 and my mother was the worst cook in the world.
I love that we have such an interesting diversity of food and restaurants today. Sadly my shape is reflecting this.
regards
jmb

6:17 PM  
Blogger meggie said...

I agree with jmb, my shape reflects my love of wonderful diverse foods. I cant remember how old I was when I first went to a Restaurant, but I think I was about 18. I remember a girlfriend's family took her to a Hotel for a meal, so she & her brother would know how to behave! I bet the food was awful!
My husband grew up with very basic food prepared by his mother, & it has taken me years to educate his tastes, but he does love my cooking now...to the point he never wants to eat out!

1:21 AM  
Blogger Janice Thomson said...

I remember when I first left the farm for the bright city lights all I wanted was a good ole hamburger but everyone else wanted steak. Steak? Sheesh I had that lots at home. Mother rarely had hamburgers though she did know 101 ways to make meat-loaf LOL. My how things have changed these days...I too enjoy Indian cuisine. Fortunately a good friend in Mumbai has introduced me to some wonderful recipes.

7:15 AM  
Blogger laughingwolf said...

good read, ian, thx

mother was a great cook, influenced by multinational friends and neighbors, so we enjoyed many flavors, despite the lack of lucre, for the most part

and she did know how to improvise, from seemingly nothing but harvests from our bountiful garden, supplemented by fishing trips

nothing was ever wasted, foodwise

8:17 AM  
Blogger andrea said...

Very entertaining post, Ian. First, big congratulations on the post below! Secondly, since you're discussing eating out, the only places we went when I was a kid were fish and chips at Troll's (the originator, Joe Troll, fed me my first solid food: fries!) in Horseshoe Bay (we lived just up the hill) or hamburgers at the White Spot Drive-In in West Van. My dad was like yours and it affected everything we ate.

8:22 AM  
Blogger Jazz said...

Our home used to be very meat and potatoes. With more chicken though. Thank god Mr. Jazz woke me up to the delights of "foreign" cuisine.

8:53 AM  
Blogger CS said...

I was a picky eater as a young kid, but my mother was never afraid to try out new foods for us, and I am thankful for that. My own kids, who have travelled, have pretty sophisticated palates and happily eat all kinds of seafood including sushi (just today my 13-year-old was extolling the virtues of raw eel!) and willingly tuck in to many foreign foods. It sure makes my life easier.

7:37 PM  
Blogger heartinsanfrancisco said...

It was a great occasion when my family got take-out Chinese food, and I never had pizza until a high school boyfriend, who was Italian-American, took me for some.

It was instant love. (For him and the pizza.)

My mother also endorsed canned peas, which I hated. I think she considered them gourmet food because the brand name was Le Sueur. Her idea of spices ended with paprika.

I thought I hated everything until I grew up and found a whole world of exotic foods that had been kept from me, and I never looked back.

6:10 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home