Thursday, August 09, 2007

'Spending a penny' around the world



Years ago I was watching a TV newscast and one item concerned the events that day in Belfast, Northern Ireland. This was during the time of the ‘troubles’ so there were plenty of such news bites. The structure I saw in sheets of flame was the Belfast bus station.

Strange to see a place I’d been in the previous year being destroyed by an act of terrorism, and all I could think was, maybe it’s a good thing because that place had the vilest public toilets I’d ever encountered in my life. I don’t think they’d been cleaned since the Battle of the Boyne. But, when I was in there, it was one of those times in which desperation made one ‘grin and bear it.’

Anyway, that brief intro is designed to provide entrée into my subjet de jour, which is --, and if you’ll excuse the indelicacy – toilets. That is, restrooms, washrooms, loos, bogs, salles de bain, crappers, WCs, privies, johns, and whatever else your vocabulary includes in the realm of ‘spending a penny.’

I’m not going to ponder the workings of the great public conveniences around the world that I have experienced because that has already been done. Most, blessedly, are nicer than that old one in Belfast, and some, like the one at Fortnum and Mason’s in London, are quite exquisite. No, what I want to consider is the domestic lavatory and toilet.

You can tell a lot about folks by their bathrooms. Ours, for example, boasts a plethora of reading materials in the form of magazines. If you want to spend time there, then you can divert yourself while tending to nature’s demands. We also have ‘nice’ soaps like Pear’s and other glycerine types, as well as a handy bottle of Purell. I like towels, so we have matching towels. And, there is art on the walls to peruse. Not only art, but home-produced (as in, painted by me, as shown above) art. That’s the main bathroom. The ensuite is more our private domain and we find it personally welcoming, with its Jacuzzi jet-tub and pedestal basin.

Some people (maiden ladies, I think) are a bit euphemistic about the reason for the “smallest room in the house” and they attempt to disguise it’s functionality by putting cut little knitted covers for the spare toilet paper, designed to make you think it’s a blue poodle rather than tissue with which you wipe your bum. People who do this are the ones that have fluffy toilet seat covers, and a mat around the loo itself. Obviously they don’t have a male resident in the house who stumbles in there at 3 a.m. to have a leak and is determined to not turn on the light so that he won’t awaken completely. Just sayin’ …

Now, the toilet itself can be a puzzlement. The device (not invented by somebody named Thomas Crapper, despite that ongoing myth that is akin to the one that says the brassiere was invented by a German named Otto Titzling) goes back a long time, and the modern flushing sort, as we understand it, arose in Britain in the mid-19th century. Queen Victoria had them installed at the Royal palaces throughout the realm. Most of hers were quite exquisite blue and white porcelain (as in the commode shown above), and were manufactured by Hyacinth ‘Bouquet’s favorite potter, Royal Doulton.

That said, if the English invented the things, why are English toilets the crankiest and often least-efficient to be found anywhere? When we arrived in London last October Wendy, who’d never been to the UK, went to pee in our hotel room bathroom. I warned her that she mustn’t expect the toilet to operate in the manner she was used to at home. I knew that from experience. She tended to her task and when finished, I could hear her wrestling with the flush handle. “I give up,” she cried out. “I can’t get the (intercoursing) thing to flush.” I told her it was all in the wrist action. You must give it a smart turn and then let go. I showed her. It worked on just the second try. Weeks later, and after many hotel rooms, she finally mastered it. I don’t know why they are so (in North American eyes) awkward, but they are.

Of all my travels, the most modern and water-frugal loos I’ve encountered was on the Cook Island of Rarotonga. Now, one might think that on a tiny archipelago a million miles away in the South Pacific, such a thing might be rather rudimentary. Not so. These were high and low volume flush babies and every one we encountered worked like a charm. I almost felt ashamed in being a North American with our profligate toilets at home. I know you can get them here, but I’m yet to see any brand new houses in new developments sporting them. I don’t think that’s right, if we’re really serious about diminishing water supplies.

And, on that final ‘green’ note, I shall close. Actually (ahem) nature calls.

.

Labels:

12 Comments:

Blogger Voyager said...

Funny stuff Ian. The dual flush toilets are the only kind I saw in New Zealand, which presumably is why the Cook Islands have them.
You didn't mention the eastern toilets, the fanciest have porcelain footprints on either side of the hole. Ever tried using those at 3 a.m. in the dark?
V.

2:14 PM  
Blogger Tai said...

I once used a toilet in an S&M club in Vienna in which barbed wire had been encased in the clear plastic that made up the toilet seat.
(I think I've said to much already!)

5:37 PM  
Blogger geewits said...

How odd you posted this, apropos of nothing there was a toilet in one of my dreams this morning. I was in "my" bathroom (meaning in my dream it was my bathroom) changing clothes and I had one of those toilets with the silver button on top of the tank that I've had in hotel rooms. Those things flush at a super-sonic rate and are VERY loud. I have no idea why it was in my dream as a prop.

I like your cow.

11:01 PM  
Blogger laughingwolf said...

hahahaha good stuff ian ;)

i saw on the news where they charge about 50 cents use the 'public' toilet, forget where, but in europe somewhere [germany?]

best idea, to me, is the type that electrically zaps the contents, reducing water requirements almost totally, other than for washing your hands

4:16 AM  
Blogger Big Brother said...

Flushing English toilets. The flick of the wrist. Took a couple of tries before getting the trick. The eastern toilets, as voyager said, are the most interesting. But the most basic one was in the Khumbu region of Nepal. A shack with a plank floor and a simple hole in the floor with a pile of leaves to dump in the hole after. Don't miss the hole! Mind you when I was in the army we had the Basic Toilet Kit A1... a spade with a role of toilet paper tied to the end. ;o)

7:42 AM  
Blogger Jazz said...

Next time I get a toilet, it'll be the dual flush kind, simply because the regular low flow kind has to be flushed about five times to get "stuff" to go if you didn't only pee. Nasty things they are.

Can we ask what Tai was doing in an S&M club? Hmmmmm?

8:17 AM  
Blogger Janice Thomson said...

I have a friend in India(Mumbai) who showed me a picture of their loo...needless to say I am happy with the one I have LOL
Good post Ian. Oh, and love your cow pic.

8:40 AM  
Blogger CS said...

When I was there in the early '80's, it wasn't the English toilets that were the biggest problem, it was that bizarre waxed toilet paper I encoutnered everywhere. What kind of a crazy idea is that? I think reading material in the bathroom is more of a guy thing. But I do have art, and nice soap, and fluffy towels.

9:28 AM  
Blogger Ian Lidster said...

Voyager: I've not experienced the footprint toilets. I have enough trouble with the conventional kind at 3 a.m. when the light's out.

Tai: What I want to know, as does Jazz, was why you were in an $&M club. I mean, my dear, it just begs the question.

Geewits: Did Freud have anything to say about toilet dreams? Just asking.

Laughingwolf: I don't know whether I want something that electronically zaps while I am still sitting there.

BB: I didn't even go to 'rudimentary' just because it reminds me too much of that aspect of camping. Yes, soldiers have trenching tools for a reason, and it's not always about digging foxholes.

Jazz: We found the ones on Raro to be remarkably efficient, and when opting for the 'heavy-duty' mode, it was just fine. I just didn't want to know how they disposed of their sewage on such a tiny island, especially since we spent our days happily snorkeling in what seemed to be a crystaline lagoon.

Janice: The Third World is a whole other realm designed to teach us we should be grateful for what we have. Thank you for the cow-pic compliment. It amuses me, even if I was the one who painted it.

cs: Oh, how you take me back to my first trip to the UK decades ago. I'd forgotten about the waxy loo paper. On the Continent at that time the paper was like partytime crepe paper. Still pretty inefficient and harsher on the bum.

10:07 AM  
Blogger laughingwolf said...

i believe you zap the thing AFTER you get off, ian ;) lol

11:15 AM  
Blogger laughingwolf said...

http://www.envirolet.ca/

11:18 AM  
Blogger meggie said...

Oh dont get me started on the toilets of note! The Asian ones we encountered in Thailand were most disconcerting. Many had no footprints to stand in, & most involved using a small scoop of water to er... cleanse the bum!

Being from NZ & living here in Australia, it is now law for all new toilets to have the full & half flush as an endeavour to save the planet's water.

I do like your artwork in your toilet Ian.

Apart from a composting toilet,- which seemed to be malfunctioning!- in a place called Wonboyn, NSW Australia, the very worst ones I can recall were our toilets at the small country town where I went to school in New Zealand. Thankfully they are long gone!

7:07 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home