Monday, August 06, 2007

Mary-Mary-Mary -- what a crummy party

Remember those horrible Mary Richards parties on the old Mary Tyler Moore Show? She would plan and plan for weeks and they would royally bomb. Nobody would have good time, and the entire atmosphere would be dismal and dreary with people starting to check their watches at 9 p.m. The parties were like that because they were ‘planned’. There was no spontaneity. Her guests felt forced. You can't force people to have fun.

People hate feeling forced, especially if they are being ordered to have a good time. For me, and I suspect for many of you, it just doesn’t work that way. You have probably found that your absolutely best times in life have been impromptu sets of circumstances in which everything just clicked into place.

It’s like planning for sex. You have soft music, maybe a comforting Jacuzzi bubble bath together, scented candles, champagne, sexy lingerie, and everything that should make for a carnal encounter par excellence. And it fizzles. What you recall, in fact, are those delicious encounters on a walk in the woods, or in a car, or someplace where you couldn’t wait (sometimes literally) to get your hands on each other and to come together with the most amazing fireworks. Those are the ones you remember because nothing was planned. Good old-fashioned horniness was allowed to prevail and it was wonderful.

So, the forcing thing, the planning thing, really gets my goat. Please, don't anybody try to demand that I have a good time, or even support your venture. Back in 1987 there was a thing called Expo in Vancouver. It was an extravagant world’s fair. The hype went on and on for months before the thing happened. I didn’t go.

I didn’t go because everybody, especially ‘officialdom’ told me I must. My late (and often lamented) mother-in-law told me I “should” go. Wow, “should”, that’s the kiss of death for me. “You’ll regret not going,” she said. I’ve never for a smidgen of a second regretted not having gone.

Now, we have the Olympics. We are constantly and consistently told that in Vancouver in 2010 the heavens are possibly going to open up and maybe Jesus himself is going to come down and bless these games, and that is what justifies spending 27 trillion of my tax dollars to hype this stuff and build the infrastructure. Infrastructure that is actually thoroughly needed for regular old folk to get by in life, but no, this infrastructure is for 2010.

And, they’re telling me I ‘must’ go. They’re telling me I ‘must’ support what they’re doing. Know what? I’m already not going. I am so not there, and won’t be in 2010, either.

The news came out last week that the Olympics organizers want to take more of my tax money so they can carry out telephone polls of the citizenry to find out how excited they are about the games. They want to, of course, hear very upbeat things about my passion for the extravaganza. I really, really hope they phone me so I can offer my views.

I don’t write any of this cynically. I don’t even object to athletic events. I often wander to the park down the way to watch the kids play Little League ball. I do that because nobody tells me I have to do so. It’s spontaneous.




Labels: ,

13 Comments:

Blogger meggie said...

A man after my own heart! I am sure we would get along famously. I felt like that about the Olympic Games here in Sydney. Never went near any of it, didnt want to read about it. The fact that it was sucessful only cheesed me off, in my perverse way.
I think the planned-to-death weddings are often the worst, or the ones that fail. That is why I refused to have one. We got married in a Registry Office, & I have never regretted it for one second. And 41 years later we are still together...but it might not last, everyone said it wouldnt!

2:15 PM  
Blogger Ian Lidster said...

I loved your comments. As for weddings, I feel that there is an inverse success rate in that the more extravagant the wedding, the less chance for success: My last wedding (8 years ago -- I have, alas, had three) was as low key as we could make it, and it was registry office like yours. Neither of us have ever been happier in a marriage than we are with this one. In our case, we're both three time losers, so nobody thought it would last. Seems to be just fine to me.
Ian

2:30 PM  
Blogger heiresschild said...

hi ian, i like spontaneity also. i have the normal day-to-day things i do, but it's nothing like breaking from regular routine and doing whatever.

also, you didn't miss by birthday; i just celebrate the whole month. my actual date is the 24th.

3:14 PM  
Blogger heartinsanfrancisco said...

I'm not very good at doing what I'm told I "should" either. As a child I was often forced to attend gatherings in which I had no interest and to add insult to injury, ordered to smile.

Of course I responded by scowling while crossing my arms tightly in front of me every time, to the chagrin of my mother, the smile monger.

And incidentally, I am presently married for the third time, too. As they say in fairy tales, the third time is Just Right.

11:15 PM  
Blogger geewits said...

I'm a huge Olympics fan, but I don't think I would want it to be here - although Dallas keeps trying. On the other hand, your whole rant was cracking me up because one of my favorite movies is "Meet Me in St. Louis," and you sound just like the dad ranting about the World's Fair. Seriously.
:)

11:56 PM  
Blogger Mel Avila Alarilla said...

Hi Ian,
Yes there is sheer thrill in spontaneity than in contrived activities. I agree with you that the best things in one's personal life are achieved through the spontaneous inspiration of a magic moment when one's creative genius takes over.

Great post. You turn an ordinary event into a significant one through your great insight and mastery of words.

Thanks for the post. Your style is vastly different from the usual blog posts. It is as if we are treated to a wide variety of wonderful features and anecdotes with a distinct personal touch from literary master.

God bless you with more with and wisdom to further fascinate your readers.

12:46 AM  
Blogger laughingwolf said...

i'm with you ian... i was living in vancouver in '87, and did not 'go' to the 'games', nor will i attend the olympics, any of them

like you, i prefer to watch the kids, but not for long... once the 'adults' start criticizing, i'm outta there grrrrrrrrr

4:04 AM  
Blogger Liz Dwyer said...

"maybe Jesus himself is going to come down and bless these games"

That was really funny.

I'm sort of glad LA didn't get the games because it would just make me angry to see improvements made to the city when they should be made for the people who live here all the time. To me, all the infrastructure stuff represents putting on a show, pretending you're something you're not, and I hate that.

5:16 AM  
Blogger Jazz said...

Of course if you go it'll cost you even more than those $27 tillion of yours they've already spent.

If I decide to go to the Olympics, can I change my mind and stop off in Comox instead?

11:27 AM  
Blogger Voyager said...

I love watching Olympic games, but I hate the vast resources spent on hyping them. And I won't go. Too expensive. You see better on T.V. anyway. Anyone want to rent my place during the games? I'm getting out of town.
V.

11:43 AM  
Blogger Janice Thomson said...

You are quite right Ian about spontaneity. It is indeed living in the moment that counts. One can plan all he wants but life has a way of conveniently interfering...and still we keep on planning things. Someday sharing a cup of coffee sounds good Ian - I think we are a lot alike.

5:17 PM  
Blogger Mari said...

FYI Expo was in '86 not '87. How could anyone forget? It was the most wonderful show on earth; truely a world class event and i'm sorry you missed it. Everyone who went came away with an undying love and respect for Beautiful B.C. and a closer feeling to the entire world. Your attitude is of a pompous boor; to say you have no regret for missing it is ignorant since you don't even know what you missed. Ditto your planning 3 yrs ahead to not go to the 2010 Olympics - would you go if it was impromptu and unplanned? Good grief. Now wouldn't that be a show for the world to see!
BTW check with your wife, re your fizzling out after the foreplay(bet shes not happy 'bout that!)Time to see the Dr......?

11:32 PM  
Blogger CS said...

I don't like being told what to do, ever. But planned events aren't always bad. I had a small wedding, loved the planning of it, had a great time at it. I'v ebeen to well-oragnized events that I've had a great time at. I kind of like it when someone has put some thought and effort into a romantic time with me. And I like spontenaity, too.

9:17 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home