Thursday, August 02, 2007

Here's a toast to our 'Vera'




I think I got into Coronation Street when I was studying for exams in university. In fact “Corrie”, as the English call it, was quite a favorite among students at UBC at the time. Anyway, this only comes to mind because I saw an item that called attention to the fact that the actress who plays Vera Duckworth (Shown above with sometimes devoted husband, Jack) is retiring from the street at age 68.

Some, of course, are already saying that the ‘street’ won’t be the same without her. But, they said the same thing about the Ogdens, Elsie Tanner, Ray Langton, Len Fairclough, Annie Walker, Ena Sharples, Minnie Caldwell, and so forth.

The one they haven’t yet said it about is Ken Barlow. That is because he, or the actor playing him, has been with the series since the very first episode. In other words, he’s had a very secure acting career, if not a particularly varied one.

Ken Barlow. I think he’s been married about 14 times by now, which isn’t bad ‘bon vivancy’ for a guy who’s kind of a dweeb. I was once rather insulted when my mother said long ago that I reminded her of Ken Barlow. I asked her to explain. She said: “He was a teacher once, kind of an intellectual, became a journalist, and had an eye for attractive women.” Well, except for the foregoing criteria, I’ll have you know I’m not at all like Ken Barlow.

Anyway, CS continues to soldier on, though I rarely watch these days. Actually, I don’t like what it has become. In the old days it was a study of a stolid working-class neighborhood in Manchester. Folk were poor, but predominantly decent. They lived in grotty little flats and row-houses, didn’t have much in the way of pounds, shillings and pence to rub together; worked their asses off, sometimes drank too much at the Rover’s Return, sometimes screwed people they weren’t supposed to, sometimes married, sometimes divorced, sometimes died. Very much like real life of the day. Nowadays I find CS revolves too much around young people with too much money and too few brains, a non-existent values system, constantly ‘at it’ sexually with a host of sleazoids, and so much more. Hmm. Maybe still like real life, 2007 style. What they need is an Ena Sharples to box their ears.

I found when I lived in England many years ago that there is a geographic demographic to CS. Those in the North and Midlands love it, those in the south loathe it (with the exception of the Queen, who’s a big fan.

“Dreadful people,” remarked the stodgy husband of my second cousin of the inhabitants of the street. He was born and raised and lived all his 70-odd years in Bristol, well in the south. He snobbishly hated the ‘north’ and would never venture there. “They don’t even close the lavatory doors when they’re using it; that’s if they have one,” he once told me. How would you know?, thought I, since you’ve never been there. Anyway, CS was never allowed to fill the screen of their telly.

Coronation Street first saw the light-of-day in 1960, so it’s nearing its half-century mark. Not many TV shows can make such a claim; especially not ones that its creators were surprised and delighted to see lasting a single season.

* CS trivia: Davy Jones, lead singer of the Monkees once play a brief juvenile part as Ena Sharples’ grandson.

Labels: ,

9 Comments:

Blogger Jazz said...

The few times I've watched that show I was lost. I'm going to send a friend of mine here, she's a complete and utter fan of CS.

1:22 PM  
Blogger Big Brother said...

Saw it once or twice while on vacation in England. Like Jazz I couldn't make much sense of it, maybe I should see all the re-runs from the beginning. Imagine if they ever put it out as a collection of DVD's, after 50 years it'll fill a library. ;o)

1:50 PM  
Blogger laughingwolf said...

never watched a single episode, but mother used to ;)

2:14 PM  
Blogger Janice Thomson said...

I love a lot of English shows but I could never get into that one either.
I'd love to meet Patricia Routledge to see if she took lessons for her role as Hyacinth from an acquaintance of mine.

2:24 PM  
Blogger geewits said...

I've never seen this but I've been watching "All My Children" since 1981. It's odd but just this week I was thinking, "Hmmm, nearly everyone on this show is rich or well off. I remember when there were very poor people struggling on this soap. When did it all change?" I guess programmers think we would rather watch the frolicking of rich people instead of the struggles of the poor.

10:17 PM  
Blogger Mel Avila Alarilla said...

Hi Ian,
Sorry that I was out of circulation for more than a week now. Our pc just bogged down and it has to be repaired . I'm writing this comment in an internet cafe far from our home and it's not very comfortable. Will make my usual comments next time.

God bless.

12:29 AM  
Blogger Voyager said...

CS is on every day, at least where my mother lives in Eastern Canada. As the brassy theme music starts, all activity in her house must stop, lest she miss a word.
I never got it.
V.

11:23 AM  
Blogger meggie said...

We used to watch it in NZ, & my mother watched it until she died. I stopped watching it well before we came to live in Australia, & it was odd to find they dont have it here.
I am just not a fan of soaps, & get irritated that my husband seems to love them. Then he gets cranky because I choose the internet over tv.

5:56 PM  
Blogger CS said...

Wow, I hav absolutely no idea what you're talking about! Although seeing CS sprinkled throughout that was a bit disorienting.

4:57 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home