Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Juvenile nectar of the gods











I read recently that soda pop will kill you. That should give pause for thought to those kids who go through eight or ten gallons of the swill every day. And no, don’t think that drinking diet stuff will make it better. According to the article, the sweetness in diet soda simply gives you a taste for other sweet and unhealthful confections, and that will pare even more years off than the regular trans-fats, cigarettes, and booze will. Scary world out there, my dear friends.

But, you know what amazes me is that I see kids (and some adults) chugging that stuff in such huge volumes. I primarily mention kids, however, because the whole societal attitude towards fizzy drinks is so different from what it was when I was growing up.

When I was a kid at sometime near the end of the Crusades, a bottle of pop (we called it ‘pop’ in our part of the world, elsewhere it can be called soda, or soda-pop, just substitute your own reference) cost a dime. My mother told me when she was a child, it was a nickel. Which ever, it was just a tiny coin, right? Practically free, right? Not so. A dime, when I was eight or nine, was a lot of money. My weekly allowance was 15-cents. So, if I blew a dime on pop, that meant I couldn’t buy a comic book – which also cost a dime. I usually opted for the comic, avid reader that I am.

So, pop was a very rare ‘treat’. That’s right, it was special occasion stuff. And, consumption was never more than one dinky little 6-ounce bottle of classic Coke. (that’s right, those classic curvy bottles contained less than a cup; compare that with the jeroboam sized bottles available to kids today). And how that bottle was savored. It was ambrosia; it was like fine cognac to the tastebuds of a kid.

We never had pop at home. Well, maybe at Christmas, or a birthday party, but that was it. Actually, birthday parties were more inclined to be Kool-Aid events, because it was cheaper. Mom could whip up a drum of the stuff – you know, powder and 14-pounds of sugar, for a fraction of what pop would have cost.

So, I say this only because I am not surprised that the medical fraternity is distressed about pop consumption and soda pop companies that seem to have not much more concern about general health than does ‘Big Tobacco.’

But, I can’t do anything about it. If parents want to court diabetes and tooth rot, that has to be up to them to address. Perhaps holding back on the largesse that seems to be bestowed on kids these days might help.

Anyway, the soda pop of today seems to largely revolve around the machinations of the ‘big two’ companies, Coca-Cola and Pepsi. But, when I was a kid there were more options. There were little pop companies that produced some fine elixirs that I actually miss.

A favorite of mine always was Orange Crush, but OC in the brown, ripply bottles that held 7-ounces and there were real bits of orange suspended in the solution. I have a souvenir bottle (empty) and it puts me in touch with my childhood.

You have your Coke and Pepsi, but actually my desired cola was one called Kik. I don’t know what happened to Kik. I guess it was sort of like Studebaker. Just couldn’t compete with the big guys in the cola wars.

I mention Orange Crush, but the best orange was one called Whistle, which had a unique flavor I’d love to savor just once more. It was rare and obscure even when I was a kid, so to find a bottle in a cooler was a special occasion indeed.

We’re all familiar with Canada Dry ginger ale. But, there were other ginger ales, like Felix, with the cartoon cat as its logo. There was also a ginger ale called Gurd’s, and I think it deserved to die out just because of the disagreeable sounding company name.

I’ve noticed that there has been kind of a revival of cottage-industry soda manufacturing, and that’s’ refreshing. The marketers of those companies are wise to see the product put into classic looking bottles.

Now, as I realize I am beginning to sound excessively Andy Rooney, I’ll take my leave.




Labels: ,

13 Comments:

Blogger Rhea said...

I never thought about soda that way, as a treat. Thanks for your perspective. I grew up drinking soda at dinner time, believe it or not. Today, I hardly drink it all. But I do like carbonation, so I have seltzer. My favorite sodas were Stewart's root beer, anything by Hoffman's (I don't think they exist anymore) and ginger beer.

1:11 PM  
Blogger Voyager said...

Ian, you are preaching to the choir here. It astounds me when I see overweight families at Costco hauling out huge cases of 1 litre colas. Actually, it astounds me that I shop at Costco, but that's another story.
V.

1:35 PM  
Blogger Ian Lidster said...

No shame, dear friend, in shopping at Costco. After all, where else can I get gigantic bottles of Worcestershire Sauce? Oh, and their crabmeat is definitely a bargain. Come on over for crabcakes sometime, I make killer ones.

Oh, and Rhea, I definitely like seltzer, too.

1:46 PM  
Blogger jmb said...

I was a war child so pop hardly was a priority when I was young. Even later we never kept it at home, as you say a treat. In fact we never kept ice cream at home either, a very rare treat.
We actually made our own ginger beer sometimes. In bottles with reusable clamp on caps. Sometimes they would explode and create an awful mess.
Ah, the good old days, only good through the rose coloured glasses of time.
regards
jmb

2:19 PM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

Cream Soda or Orange Crush in the brown bottles, on a hot, hot summer day, right after running through the sprinkler - Heaven on earth.

2:39 PM  
Blogger meggie said...

We certainly rarely got to have 'fizzy' drinks as we called them. They just make me hiccup, so I dont miss them! But the shape of a bottle can bring back memories.
Our kids only had Fizzy drinks for treats now & then... goodness knows, New Zealander's teeth were bad enough, without added sugar!

3:03 PM  
Blogger Belizegial said...

Ian, your post is timely and prophetic. I am saving this information to show to my children who love to guzzle this stuff.
Perhaps it will help them to save a tooth or two on this end. I will definitely keep a tighter lid on how much of this stuff we purchase. Coke is huge in the tropics.

Happy thirsty Thursday,
Enid

4:09 PM  
Blogger Big Brother said...

Brings back memories, I remember giggling as a kid over "Orange Crush avec une paille droite" Translated from French it came out as "crooked orange with a straight straw". I know it sounds weird but the English crush sounds like the French "croche" or crooked. Silly child's word game. I also remember buying a pop for a dime, which as you said was a lot of money. Heck we used to babysit for a dime an hour. One of the reasons I see so many overweight kids in school today is just that, a lot of "pop" and sugary stuff and not much exercise.

5:04 PM  
Blogger Mel Avila Alarilla said...

Hi Ian,
That's a wonderful trip of nostalgia you took us to, and I enjoyed that trip. I also agree with you that something must be done with the soda pop craze of our youth today or we might end up with future generations of diabetic and obese people. Now, I begin to worry about my own children since I am diabetic myself. Got to talk them out of these sugar camouflaged "poison". Thanks for the reminder.

Thanks for the enjoyable post. God bless you with all the wit and wisdom of this world.

12:34 AM  
Blogger laughingwolf said...

i recall the wee bottles, too

we had it irregularly, but coke was my fave, though oc, niagara dry ginger ale [yeah, grew up in southern ontario]and a&w root beer were ok

not heard of whistle, felix ga, or some of the others

as for 'diet' pop: the chemicals in them are worse than the sugar in 'regular'... but i no longer drink the stuff, except on rare occasions, like 2 - 3 times a year

great post, ian

5:41 AM  
Blogger Janice Thomson said...

I rarely drink pop either but when I do it's either orange crush or cream soda...the white one. I read somewhere that coke rusts a nail in half an hour...that was good enough to keep me off the stuff LOL.
By the way I kinda like listening to Andy Rooney...but my favorite is definitely Paul Harvey...and now page 2...

9:11 AM  
Blogger Jazz said...

Soda is evil... she says as she finishes her coke.

When we were kids it was a treat too. Now McDonald's has just put out a new size of drink, the Hugo, which weighs in at 48 oz.

Who the hell can drink that?

My favourite (canadian spelilng :-p) soda now is Tonic. With Vodka. Nice.

10:50 AM  
Blogger CS said...

We onl got soda for very special occassions. SO I was always thrilled when the washing machine was on the fritz and we had to go to the laundromat, where each of us kids got one of thise tine Coke bottles. I don't drink a lot of soda now - sometimes Diet Coke if I'm too sleepy to work. I do like Orangina and also GUS soda (Grown Up Soda) in cool, not-too-sweet flavors like cranberry-lime.

9:20 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home