Wednesday, August 08, 2007

I harbor-harbour no resentments about this

“Why don’t you people use Canadian spelling in your articles?” asked a fuming female telephone caller of me when I was working at a newspaper.

“How do you mean?” I asked, ever so politely, knowing exactly where she was going.

“You use American spelling,” she said. “You spelled ‘harbour’ in an article h-a-r-b-o-r.”

“If I know the one you’re thinking of, it was a reference to Pearl Harbor, and Hawaii is in the United States, so it’s a perfectly acceptable spelling.”

“You do it all the time, like colour, for example. O-u-r is the Canadian spelling.”

“Well, actually it is the British spelling, so that’s no more Canadian than o-r. Anyway, we in the newspaper business follow a little guide called ‘CP (Canadian Press) Style’ and it asks, since newspapers are notoriously stingy, that we look towards frugality of space. Each extra letter asks for more ink, so we opt for the simpler.”

At which point she hung up on me.

The point of the whole thing is that my beloved compatriots are sometimes a bit on the paranoid side. I suspect that part of it arises from the fact that Canada has huge geography but a dinky population, whereas the US, right next door, has a smaller geography, but 10 times our population. So, certain Canadians are always suspicious about ‘encroaching Americanism,’ especially when it comes to cultural matters.

I’m not, particularly suspicious or paranoid, I don't think, therefore I don't get too obsessed over what some see as 'symbols' of loss of sovreinty. I love my country in the sense that I was born here, and as countries go, it’s better in terms of life-quality than 90 percent of the rest of the world. But, in so doing, I don’t feel I need to be antagonistic towards the US. I also happen to thoroughly like the US and Americans. I’ve travelled extensively south of the border, and have a number of beloved American relatives. In saying that, I do not feel even vaguely treasonous. As neighbors (oops, American spelling) go, Canadians couldn’t do better.

Anyway, excessive nationalism, I think, is a negative impulse. We are all accidents of geography and nothing more. We’re no better than anybody else, just different from. Too much nationalism in the world has put us in disagreeable states throughout history, and it continues to this day.

“I am a proud Afghani! (KERBOOM!!!)” If you get my drift.

But, back to Canadian spelling as a symbol. OK. Maybe we should have Canadian spelling. What does that look like? As it stands, with the English language, we basically have two options, and my fellow Canadians should realize that, despite the ‘o-u-r’ affectation and its so-called ‘Canadian-ness’, many of our accepted spellings are in the American form.

For example, we use ‘curb’ rather than ‘kerb’; an elevator is an elevator, not a lift; aluminum does not have the extra ‘i’; we live in apartments, not flats; and we fill our tanks with overpriced gas, not petrol.

True, we linger with theatre rather than theatre, and centre as opposed to center, and when we go crackers we seek counselling rather than counseling.

But, I return to my initial point, so-called ‘Canadian’ spelling and style is merely an amalgam of the linguistic offerings of the UK and the US, and there is scarcely a Canadianism in the lot.

Maybe it’s just not that damned important. Language is about communication and I’ll spell things either the way I damn well please, or as I am directed to by an editor. When I wrote a column in the UK while continuing with one in Canada back in the early 1980s, it called for a certain linguistic dexterity on my part to remember which audience I was writing for and whether to use ‘kerb’ or ‘curb.’

Somehow I always managed to sort it out with scarcely a gaffe (a French word, so I'm entirely off-the-hook here) in the lot.

Labels: ,

12 Comments:

Blogger Janice Thomson said...

I totally agree it really doesn't matter a rat's --- how words are spelled and depending on which software I use that's the spelling you get LOL.

9:12 AM  
Blogger laughingwolf said...

same journalism schooling i had, ian, including the cp book ;) lol

and who can forget strunk and white's, the elements of style?

but i get my ruff up, too, when i'm told MY spelling is NOT canadian, like there IS one... get a grip, people!

9:35 AM  
Blogger Jazz said...

I use the "Canadian" spelling by habit, but I don't agonize over the fact that I use US spelling for about half the stuff I write.

Just re-reading this I realized I use the US spelling for words with the Z sound. Agonise looks.. well, wrong.

10:53 AM  
Blogger AlieMalie said...

and y'all use bum and not butt! a much better word - bum - in my opinion. definitely.

i'll admit that i prefer the canadian/british types of spellings with some words, but i'll let that go if people can at least get their freaking grammar to an acceptable level. i was griping about this at lunch, actually, when i heard a guy say, "Me and my dad ..."

so annoying. and now i'm ranting.

great post, Ian.

:)

11:16 AM  
Blogger meggie said...

Another good post. We tend to use many spellings the same as you, it would seem. We use favour as opposed to favor. Hangover from the UK spelling I suppose. We also say bum, in preference to butt.
I think more & more American spellings & use of words are creeping into use in Australia.
The main thing is as long as we can understand each other, really.

Of course, everyone knows that the word 'fanny' in Oz, means something entrirely different to the word 'fanny' in America!

3:47 PM  
Blogger Liz Dwyer said...

When my family moved back to the States from Montreal, my teachers were not fond of grey instead of gray, colour and all the rest. Some of the non-American spellings seem much more romantic to me. (Due to reading too much Austen and Thomas Hardy, I'm sure.)

5:14 PM  
Blogger jmb said...

I still struggle bravely on with all the our's, and the re's and the travellings despite my spellcheck marking them all wrong and I would do so if I had gone to live in the States instead of here. That's how they are spelled as I was taught. I have given up on the i in aluminum however, people really thought that was strange.

But communicating is the main point as you say.

I always thought that each newspaper would have its own style for spellings. I know we did when I worked as a proofreader in Australia for a couple of years. It was for the only big Australian publisher and we had a big book with the styles including certain spellings in there.

Although I see you point of view on excessive nationalism I think that Canadians could do with more patriotism which is a different thing.
Interesting post, although I'm not totally convinced by all the points.
regards
jmb

5:20 PM  
Blogger geewits said...

I wish "grey" were the accepted american spelling. I use it a lot, because like you, unless I'm being paid or graded, I can do what I please.

1:23 AM  
Blogger Hageltoast said...

if you really want to mess with them, start doing articles in txt spk for the younger generations. ;)

9:45 AM  
Blogger Annie Wicking said...

Hello, Could I add to the chat my pennyworth. I'm English and as you know in mine country, we are famous for our Oxford dictionary which is our bible for spelling our English words.
As my spelling is very weak I use it a lot, so you can image how pleased I was to find I could up load it on to my computer to look up and check my spelling then to cut and paste words as and when.
Only to my amazement I now find that my CDrom of the saintly Oxford Dictionary is americanized and most of the spelling in have opted for the american form of spelling. So much for my English being English ;-)

best wishes
Annie

12:21 PM  
Blogger CS said...

I'm with you - how does it even matter? I do like the look of grey over gray, but I write gray becaus its more widely used here. But hitting an added u doesn't prevent my comprehension of the word, so I barely notice it.

9:24 AM  
Blogger sehatwanita said...

This information is very useful. thank you for sharing. and I will also share information about health through the website

Obat Alami Menurunkan tekanan Darah Tinggi
Obat Penyakit kulit Eksim
Obat Benjolan Di Ketiak
Pengobatan Alami Tuntaskan Keputihan
Pengobatam Alternatif Patah Tulang/Fraktur

12:52 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home