Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Yes, we have no pajamas

Do you sleep in the nude?
Yes I do.

There, that’s one of those things that arguably falls into the category of TMI, or possibly even WTMI, depending on your sensibilities. But, fear not, I’m not going to go and get all depraved about it.

Whatever your views on such matters, I do sleep in the buff, not (necessarily) for any questionable reasons, but because I find it more comfortable. I have found it to be so since I was about 14. It is still my favorite mode, unless it is really chilly. Pajamas tend to bunch up, nightshirts are affected (in my esteem, I mean, who do these people think they are? Ebenezer Scrooge?), and sleeping in one’s undies is just a little on the gross side, somehow.

PJ’s definitely do not sit well with me, and I do not understand their virtues. Psychiatrists attest you can tell a great deal about a person by his or her mode of sleep garb, or lack thereof. I like to think that nude slumberers are free-spirits, comfortable with their bodies, and sensualists. Jammy wearers, on the other hand, are a little more inhibited about the whole business. But, even among them, there are styles and modes that reveal much. If I were to wear PJs, it would be the basic kind, you know, with a shirt top, and drawstring pants. Ski pajamas, on the other hand, are just plain awful. I don’t care if you wear them, they’re still plain awful, on men at least. Actually a woman can wear almost anything in terms of nighttime attire and I can be charmed. But, I charm pretty easy. My father wore ski pajamas – old ski pajamas – and I am amazed, his attire considered, that my mother agreed to bear three children by this man, just due to his nocturnal sartorial tastes.

My late father-in-law, who was one of the most tense, anal, uptight, puritanical, hypocritical, passive-aggressive controlling people I’ve every known (no, he and I did not get along all that well) used to wear regular PJs, but buttoned to the neck, and with the top tucked into the pants. Somehow, that was a perfect ensemble for his temperament.

As far as females of my intimate acquaintance have been concerned, as I suggested almost anything is pleasing to me, all the way from elaborate peignoir outfits, to filmy Frederick’s of Hollywood negligees, to nothing whatsoever. But, females in jammies are cute as buttons often, too. I always thought it was kind of adorable how in old movies the girls always wore pajama tops and nothing else. Especially if they were striped, silk pajama tops.

Something you don’t see much any more is ‘baby dolls’. They were inspired by the controversial 1956 film of the same name, based on a Tennessee Williams play. Essentially the story revolved around an ‘infantalized’ but grown up girl who slept in a crib, sucked her thumb and wore, yes, baby doll pajamas. Despite the nature of a film that would appeal most to those with such fetishistic tastes, the fashion caught on like wildfire with even the most innocent of teen girls. And, for an adolescent, they were cute. For an adult woman they were a bit on the silly side, in my esteem, and not quite as sexy as they were intended to be.

But, whatever your tastes in sleep garb, or lack thereof, may you always have pleasant dreams.

Labels: ,

16 Comments:

Blogger heartinsanfrancisco said...

"Wah, Mistah Vaccaro, you gettin' awful puhsonal."

Baby anythings are horrendous on grown women.

I sleep unencumbered, too, and do not own sleeping attire. Clothing bunches up, buttons make dents in flesh, and I have a hard enough time sleeping without fighting with fabric. Unless I'm sick. Then I wear Flip's t-shirts, which fit me like shortie gowns.

6:59 PM  
Blogger heiresschild said...

ian, leave it to you to write something like this. i am over here cracking up, especially since i see only one other person has responded. oh oh, you must have touched some buttons talking about the ski pajamas (what are they, by the way?) and people buttoning up their pajamas. maybe some people only want that known between them and their whoever. *lol* ok, ok, i just wanted to have some fun. anyhoo, only my bed and i know for sure how i sleep. *lol* but i am a free spirit. *lol*


now, i do have a question that perhaps you can help me with. how did you shrink your award on your blog? i want to do the same with mine, but don't know how to adjust the size?

9:54 PM  
Blogger meggie said...

Laughed about the jamas too. GOM doesnt sleep in anything but his birthday suit.
I remember my mother telling me that she was horrified to discover my father didnt own pyjamas, on the 1st night of their honleymoon, & never had. She went straight out to get him some!
Their marriage didnt last...

10:36 PM  
Blogger geewits said...

You said:
"...and sleeping in one’s undies is just a little on the gross side, somehow."

Again we are on opposite sides. I sleep in panties only. Sleeping totally nude is gross to me, because let's face it: People shed. The thought of shedded hairs in my bed is icky and I say keep them to yourself in your undies.

And yes this was all TMI. :)

11:38 PM  
Blogger jmb said...

You just never know what you are going to find in this space. I'm not going to comment on the topic specifically but this is priceless:

"used to wear regular PJs, but buttoned to the neck, and with the top tucked into the pants"

More like a Victorian lady than a man.

What will tomorrow bring?

11:41 PM  
Blogger Liz Dwyer said...

Oh, I'm laughing about the Ebeneezer Scrooge comment! That's funny!

I used to be a nudist sleeper until I had kids. They just ruin it because they run into your room in the middle of the night and climb in your bed because they had a bad dream. I felt like I was scarring them for life if I didn't have pajamas.

I hate the PJs though. Absolutely hate them.

1:10 AM  
Blogger laughingwolf said...

used to sleep commando, til the kids got a little older... then jockey shorts, just in case

with the girls gone, and son in his own room, i'm back to nakkers

the ex was the same, except for the shorts ;) lol

good post, ian

3:35 AM  
Blogger Jazz said...

I love this. I sleep in a Brazil 98 world cup t-shirt. I really really believed they would win it...

Anyway, except on the hottest nights I can't sleep naked because I end up freezing. I get so cold it wakes me up... It's the worst sensation in the world.

How I wish this wasn't so.

6:56 AM  
Blogger Janice Thomson said...

I too won't comment on what I do or don't wear but your post Ian was absolutely hilarious. Like Jmb I always wonder what I will be reading tomorrow - I know that one thing for sure; I will be smiling the whole day.

8:32 AM  
Blogger heiresschild said...

well, i came back today for some more laughs and i got them from the different comments.


can someone help me with adjusting the size of the icons/awards we put on the blogs?

12:01 PM  
Blogger Heidi said...

TMI..But enjoyable to read...lol

4:29 PM  
Blogger Tanya Brown said...

I'm with Liz - I hate the PJs, but I also hate being my kid's personal anatomy lesson. "Go look in a book, already!"

5:22 PM  
Blogger Wendy C. said...

I used to sleep in the buff - I prefer it, actually - but we live in earthquake country...and every now and then a big earthquake hits, and I am roused from a deep sleep to bolt at a dead-run down the hallway grabbing for kids...well, let me just tell you, it wasn't pretty! :-)

8:09 PM  
Blogger Ian Lidster said...

Heiresschild: I would gladly help you with this. I have to make some changes in mine still, but I have some info jmb sent me, and I'll gladly send that along to you if you drop me a line at my email address, which is posted.
For everybody else, now that we've all shared our TMI, we can move on to more lofty matters, no doubt.
Thank you for all your thoughts.

8:18 AM  
Blogger CS said...

Wow, it's taken me some time to get caught up here!

As for PJ's - I wear them around the house because of the kids (pajama bottoms or boxers and a T-shirt, actually), but usually shed them to sleep. I'm just more comofrtable in nothing and besides, I have such soft sheets on my bed. The lacy stuff is fun, but is never still on by the time you get to the sleeping part.

7:46 PM  
Blogger yanmaneee said...

nike sneakers for men
kd 12
adidas ultra boost
golden goose
supreme t shirt
kyrie irving shoes
lebron james shoes
supreme clothing
hermes
nike air max 2018

4:20 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home