Monday, August 13, 2007

Jes' a plain old Hillbilly Cat

If Elvis Presley were still alive (which he isn’t, in case you hadn’t heard) he’d be 72-years-old on Thursday. My God, that’s almost as old as Keith Richards looks – if you maybe add about 10 years.

Elvis has been dead now for 30 years, yet in the hearts of some (aside from the 32,000 impersonators) he’s still very much alive. For whatever reason known only to his devoted fans, that sad, addicted, portly guy who left the building for keeps three decades ago, never departed at all.

Despite being in the generation that should be devoted to everything the ‘Hillbilly Cat’ stood for, I was never truly in awe of him. No, I correct myself. I think his early stuff, his Sun Record stuff, is brilliant and revolutionary and wonderful to hear. Blue Moon of Kentucky is still one of my favorites, and if you want to really hear EP in his youthful glory and to understand why he smacked the world of music in the chops back in 1955-56 then you would do well to avail yourself of a copy of the Sun Sessions. That was back in pre-sellout days when this blonde-haired (yes, he actually had blonde hair) pretty lad earned outrage in parents around the world. He was very, very cool.

And then came the army. And then came the Tom Parker deal with RCA, and then came the wretched movies (which he personally detested) and then came blandness, and ultimately came Vegas lounge acts. Nothing awful about it per se. Such an approach has earned fortunes for Wayne Newton and Tom Jones. But, and it’s a big ‘but’, there was a time when Presley was so much better than that. So much ‘more’ than that. Oh well, sic transit gloria mundi.

My Dad hated Elvis when he was first on the Sullivan show (Elvis, that is, not my Dad.)

“He’s a drug addict,” said Pop. “You can tell by the bags under his eyes.”

Cool, thought I. A genuine drug addict right there on the Sullivan stage, sharing space with Jackie Mason, Henny Youngman, Senor Wences and Topo Giggio. Of course, he wasn’t a drug addict – then – he was a simple truck-drivin’ young dude who copied his hair style from Tony Curtis, was good to his mama, and didn’t even take a drink or smoke cigarettes.

Actually though, even when Elvis was in his prime, I turned more in the direction of Jerry Lee Lewis (I’m still a huge fan of that evil man, who happens to be still alive and performing magnificently, surprisingly), Carl Perkins (who was ripped off by the Elvis consortium for his superior version of Blue Suede Shoes, Gene Vincent, Buddy Holly, Chuck Berry, and Little Richard.

Little Richard especially distressed my mother much more than did Elvis, who she thought was kind of handsome and liked the fact he was good to his mother.

No, she didn’t like Little Richard, and it was absolutely nothing to do with his being black. My mother literally had no racial prejudices, and was a huge fan of such singers as Nat King Cole, Al Hibbler and Billy Eckstine. It was just that LR was a little too outré with his mile high ‘conk’, his flamboyant clothes, and his effeminacy.

Anyway, I could go on and on, so I won’t. Just take a moment Thursday to think of Elvis and appreciate the fact that he didn’t deserve the indignity of dying well past his prime, sitting on the john.

He could have been so much more than that.

*Oh, by the way, if you're of a mind to, don't forget to vote for my blog by clicking on the icon at right.



Labels: ,

12 Comments:

Blogger CS said...

Blonde? Really? That's somehow disconcerting. I never really got the whole Elvis thing, although he did have a good voice. Maybe '50's music in general has never worked for me. But it was a sad way to die.

1:59 PM  
Blogger CS said...

P.S. Elvis was originally from Mississippi, and of course Graceland is in the flatlands of west Tennessee, so he in no way qualifies as a hillbilly.

2:01 PM  
Blogger Ian Lidster said...

I agree, cs, but when he first started performing he was billed as the "Hillbilly Cat", so that's where that comes from.
Ian

3:00 PM  
Blogger meggie said...

I was never a fan of Elvis really. Not sure why, but I did find I liked his music in the early 60's better. GOM's birthday is 16th August, & we were in Australia the day he died, just beginning a holiday.

3:32 PM  
Blogger laughingwolf said...

my sis was gaga over eap, and i teased her relentlessly, at the time

esp infuriated her when took his initials to spell: ape ;) lol

he did do some good stuff, in the early days, like you say

4:27 PM  
Blogger Spider Girl said...

I was just thinking about Elvis's would-have-been age the other day---seventy-two. Wow.

10:08 PM  
Blogger jmb said...

So many of these singers burn out when they are young, even in those days.
I think I appreciate Elvis more now, looking back, than I did at the time. He seemed so wicked somehow (what a joke)and his music was so different it took time for me to appreciate it.
Yes I did vote again today, and comment too.

10:12 PM  
Blogger Jazz said...

What icon on the right?

I never really liked Elvis, but he really seems to do it for a lot of people...

5:47 AM  
Blogger Janice Thomson said...

I was never much of an Elvis fan but he did do one little known song called 'If I can Dream' which to this day is still a favorite of mine. Fame and riches seem to have a lot of adverse effects on people - a very sad thing to see a fairly young life lost because of the inability to deal with fame properly.

8:43 AM  
Blogger Big Brother said...

Elvis never really did anything for me. The best of his career was in the 50's and early 60's a, a little bit before my time. I was more of a 60's type of person, the Stones, The Beatles, Gentle Giant, Jefferson Airplane, the Guess Who, Janice Joplin, Jimi Hendrix, the whole hippy era. I've seen parts of his last concert, rather sad to see. But like him or not, he profoundly changed popular music and paved the way for others.

10:06 AM  
Blogger Voyager said...

My Mom was a big Elvis fan, me, not so much. Did he really die on the john?

10:32 AM  
Blogger heiresschild said...

wow, a new fact about elvis. i didn't know his hair was blonde either. couldn't stand him or little richard. still can't stand little richard. i think elvis will be popular for years ahead, along with picasso and shakespeare. maybe.

12:17 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home