Thursday, August 23, 2007

A night of angst and despair for a lone seagull

Way back in 1970 a writer of sorts called Richard Bach (no relation to Johann Sebastian as far as I know) published a novella called Jonathan Livingston Seagull. It was, yes, about a seagull of the same name. But, of course, it was also a metaphor about life, freedom, and all those things that in 1970 were very dear to the hearts of hippies, students, and stoners. It was a kind of spiritual guide to life a la shithawk, I guess. I thought it was the most execrable dreck and about as significant as the ‘pet rocks’ that came out around the same time.

Actually the publication of said tome escaped my attention entirely. And then, sometime around 1972, I was undergoing some sort of despair and angst over the fact I really wanted to quit teaching school and do something different. So, a dear counterculture friend, hearing of my ‘crisis’, rushed over with a copy of JLS. “Read this,” she implored with deep sensitivity, “And you will find that your life will be almost instantly transformed. I read – oh – I think about 17 ½ pages and gritted my teeth to keep from exclaiming out loud “This is the most banal crap I have ever read in my life!”

But, hey, it made a big chunk of change for Mr. Bach, so who am I to quibble with success?

But, I thought of that aged book the other night when a seagull was raising a ruckus around our place. Now, Jonathan notwithstanding (hated him), I quite like seagulls. I’m less than charmed when they immediately crap on my newly washed black car, but otherwise, I think they’re kind of cool. At our part-time home in Victoria, which overlooks the sea, they ‘start’ at about 4:30 in the morning, and by five their clarion calls are deafening. No need for an alarm clock in the summer months. A hint of dawn’s early light and they are out calling attention to themselves.

But, the other night, about 10:30, a seagull began flying past the apartment block making a godawful noise, wailing plaintively. I actually got concerned about its well-being, since they are normally silent at night. Earlier in the evening there had been a hawk perched on the balcony of the building next door, and I wondered if the hawk was harassing them, or had even apprehended one. Anyway, after about a half hour it quietened down.

As I said, I like seagulls. Normally their call is quite romantic and speaks of misty seas and long walks along beaches. Seagulls, they say, saved the early Mormon settlement in Salt Lake City by eating all the critters in a biblical plague of grasshoppers that was assailing Brigham and his girls.

Ornithologists say they’re very bright birds, much like crows (which I also admire), and great survivors. They seem to have differing roles in their lives. Some go out to sea, in keeping with their names. Some are found well inland. None are found in Hawaii, by the way, because it’s too far for them to fly. Their rowdier elements (I imagine) hang around landfills, or raid garbage cans. So, I wonder, do they vary their lives? Do they have agendas? You know, Tuesdays and Thursdays out at sea; Mondays and Wednesdays at the city dump, and Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays, at assorted fast food outlets?

Anyway, I never did find out what had distressed our gull. I found no feathers on the ground in the morning, so I must assume all was well.

Oh, and if seagulls could provide a genuine example for a well-spent life, it is known that they mate for life. So, if you see a little seagull couple, commend them, for they are very happy and very much in love. Kinda sweet.



Labels: ,

11 Comments:

Blogger Tai said...

I once saw a seagull swallow a large starfish. Whole.
Took him 20 minutes of hacking and choking and carrying on.
Impressive, but also disturbing.

5:04 PM  
Blogger heartinsanfrancisco said...

I love seagulls, too, and feed them regularly at the seawall overlooking SF Bay. They don't seem to vary their habitat because I actually recognize several of them every time I donate day-old bread.

I'm pretty sure they recognize me, too, because I distinctly heard one say, "Here's that sucker with great aim again."

I found JLS (and Richard Bach) appalling, too, for what it's worth, but the dude laughed all the way to the bank.

5:32 PM  
Blogger meggie said...

How odd about Hawaii. I never knew. Grew up surrounded by seagulls in NZ, & of course there are plenty about us now too, so close to the coast.

6:13 PM  
Blogger Voyager said...

I remember that terrible book. I was a teenager when I read it, or I should say read the first few pages and gagged. Why is it that crap like that (I include the "chicken soup" books in that category) make so much money? And the bigger question, why wasn't I ever savvy enough to write one? Why don't I write one now? Ian, do you want to collaborate with me on a book of heartfelt dribble?
V.

8:21 PM  
Blogger laughingwolf said...

never read the book or saw the flick, both too crappy to contemplate doing either...

nor do i have any love for shithawks...

but, like others noted, why did i not write some such drivel and 'laugh, all the way to the bank'? *sigh*

3:52 AM  
Blogger Janice Thomson said...

I too like crows and gulls. I grew up with both in Alberta. I watched a crow at the ocean one day playing with a pebble...he would toss it in the air and try to catch it...it was neat he felt at ease when so close to me - he was a foot away and I sat deathly still. It was interesting as well to learn that birds actually play. Glad to know I'm not the only one who likes seagulls.

9:16 AM  
Blogger Jazz said...

I like birds in general, but gulls and crows and pigeons (yes pigeons) in particular. Pigeons and gulls are very much maligned for no reason at all...

10:10 AM  
Blogger Angela said...

Awwww, I loved the last few sentences especially, Ian. And I think I have an entirely new appreciation for what are known here as Trash Birds.

After nearly being attacked a la Hitchcock's "The Birds" by a flock of them once when I tried to give what I thought was a solo flyer some of my sandwich, I'm not as big a fan as I was, but I think they've been redeemed a little because of this post.

Cheers!

2:58 PM  
Blogger Ian Lidster said...

Tai: On the other hand, I once saw a bullfrog consume a swallow: nature is a cruel thing or, if you will, it's a jungle out there.

Heart: I suspect they do recognize you. Birds are much brighter than we give them credit for. And yes, damn it, I am sure Back got stinking rich. The bastard.

Meggie: Evidently the odd stray drifts into Hawaii, caught in a storm, but they are an anomaly. Remind me to tell you the tale of the Kauai eagle, however.

Voyager: Yes, let's write a wonderful, banal book and make a fortune. Be delighted to collaborate with you. We don't live so far apart. And, since we think in similar veins, it would work.

Laughingwolf: That's the trouble with those of us who write, we think it's a serious business.

Janice: That's an intriguing story about the crow and the pebble. Crows have also been known to use tools, such as using sticks to prod insects out of holes.

Jazz: Pigeons -- you mean airborne rats? Yes, I agree that they get very bad press. You know, we think doves are serene and peaceful and symbolic. Sorry folks, they're the same damn bird. I especially love the little zebra doves in Hawaii.

Angela: Thank you for the compliment on the final lines. You know, I was thinking of Hitchcock's The Birds' when I wrote the piece, and thinking how he maligned them. Mind you, Tippi Hedren might think differently.

3:59 PM  
Blogger heiresschild said...

what a sweet ending to your post ian. i loved jonathan livingston seagull, and got a lot out of the book too. but then i've always been different. love birds, but dont' like pigeons.

5:17 PM  
Blogger jmb said...

Another of your great posts Ian. I can't say I love these birds because mostly I see them at Granville Island where they are a great nuisance to most people although my granddaughter thinks it's great fun to chase them and people feed them so they never leave.
A friend, visiting from Australia, said they are very different from Australian seagulls but I can't remember if they are.
regards
jmb

7:22 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home