Saturday, August 25, 2007

Some 'incompleat' angling thoughts







In the days of my youth and younger manhood, salmon fishing, especially here in the northwest, was almost compulsory. When I was younger these magnificent fish were still bountiful and hadn’t yet suffered the depredations of obscenely flawed government ‘management’ (ha!), overfishing, habitat despoliation. driftnet fisheries from Asia (they deny they do it, but they lie, just ask the guys who operate the tracker aircraft) and a thousand other elements that have put a species at frightful risk.

There was a time, when I was in my 20s when I could ask my wife if she’d like to barbecue a salmon for dinner, and if she replied in the positive, I would put the boat in the water (we lived on the beach then), and within a half hour I would be back with an 8 to 12 pound coho. Such days were sheer bliss.

I loved fishing. Izaak Walton and I were philosophical chums. I still have a salmon-rod with a wonderful polished mahogany Peetz ‘knucklebuster’ reel sitting out in my garage. Yet, about 20 years ago I ceased salmon fishing. I quit because it was no longer as satisfying because of stock depletion. But, I also quite for a more significant personal reason. One day I looked down at a dying fish lying in the bottom of my boat and thought: “I no longer want to do this. This is a wonderful creature, and yet I took its life this morning. I don’t want this responsibility.” And that was it. I’ve never fished since. Oh, I miss it, because I loved it. Some have suggested there is always so-called ‘catch-and-release,’ but that’s a process that is essentially bullshit. The fish is so traumatized by having been hooked and then fighting the process, that it often dies anyway, or falls pray to dogfish and the like.

Here in the Northwest fishery stocks have diminished, and growing up in their wake have been the penned fish-farms. This is a commercial process that is fraught with controversy. Some say the penned stock is interior and infected with sea-lice which then go on to assail the wild stock. And yes, the multinational fish-farms are flawed and there is much that they need to do to clean up their act.

At the same time, those who assail the salmon farms are out-to-lunch in their logic. They, and their minions (like the shops and ‘precious’ restaurants that say they only offer ‘wild’ salmon) are ludicrous in their fight against the farms and their extolling of the wild species. How can a species that is under dire threat in its wild state be suggested as preferable to something that is raised specifically for the table? Why not a fricassee of panda, or a Bengal tiger steak, if you follow that logic?

Yes, wild salmon is very nice. Wild salmon also won’t be around for much longer unless we protect them. Meanwhile, fish-farms just might be a stopgap if proper controls are established.

There is nothing new about the concept of raising captive fish as a foodstuff. The Asians have done it for virtual millennia, and the Hawaiians were noted for their ‘fishponds’ (as pictured above from a painting I did a while ago) long before Europeans imposed themselves on those blessed shores.

Anyway, those are my thoughts on ‘Compleat’ Angling and what it has become. I can only hope that one day it comes back as it once was. As I said, I no longer choose to indulge, but I don’t begrudge those who do.

Labels: , ,

9 Comments:

Blogger Belizegial said...

Ian,

The respect for life, all forms of life, is an awesome responsibilty. Belize is a fishing community as well and the fishing industry (lobster, conch, snapper) is a big source of revenue for many.

The need for protection of the wildlife stock has always been a cause for concern and you have raised some valid points.

I am in the process of putting together a post hurricane dean report for my blog which will be posted shortly.

Enjoy your day,
Enid

9:30 AM  
Blogger Janice Thomson said...

My respect for you has just gone up another notch Ian. I too faced this exact same situation 25 some years ago and I too quit fishing for just the same reasons.
You have been painting again...awesome my friend!

11:43 AM  
Blogger meggie said...

Our son when young caught a trout accidentally in the river. He was excited at first, then he cried, & wished he had never 'ruined some fish family's life'. He never fished again.
Our Sil does the catch & release, because my daughter makes him let them go. I didnt know about the trauma, but have often wondered if that is the case. Poor terrified creatures.

1:16 PM  
Blogger laughingwolf said...

forgot another wee item about depleting stocks: our american cousins deny the fraser river run belongs to us, just cuz the fish cruise off alaska on their way home

the thing about farmed salmon: recent studies here confirm the amount of toxins in them are outrageously high, compared to the wild fish

this concerns atlantic salmon studies, but i doubt pacific fish are much different on that score

but yeah, otherwise i concur with your sentiments, other than: taking eight or ten per year will not deplete stocks like commercial fishing does

2:32 PM  
Blogger Mel Avila Alarilla said...

Hi Ian,
So sorry that I was out of circulation for sometime. Something happened with our family. Anyway, I was so thrilled by your post. Oh I love fishing. I really like to experience angling my first wild salmon. I have not done any fishing since my younger days and they're no fishing at all because we did it in fishpens. Oh how I love to do fishing in the open seas but I never had the time nor the resources to do so. Thanks for giving me a glimpse of your own fishing experience with the wild salmons. God bless you with the wit and wisdom of your vast experiences in life.

3:27 PM  
Blogger Eastcoastdweller said...

I am conflicted by this, too, Ian. I love the taste of meat but I don't like to be the cause of another creature's suffering.

I tried to be vegetarian for about a week, following a drive home in which I saw a truck full of crates of live chickens barrelling along the freeway with the poor things surely traumatized by the trip, as the wind-draft was whipping through their cages and spewing their feathers like snow into the air.

But I was too weak to last.

I get annoyed by those commercials in which people mock those Asian shrimp farms and extol the benefits of wild-caught American shrimp, ever since I watched a documentary about the devastation that those shrimp nets cause upon the marine ecosystem.

5:34 AM  
Blogger heartinsanfrancisco said...

When I was 7, my father taught me to fish off our boat on Lake Champlain.

I caught three tiny perch which we threw back after he disengaged the hooks, saying, "Fish are sentient beings and we don't want to hurt them."

I didn't know what "sentient" meant, but I wondered why it was ok to hurt the blood worms.

I never became a fisher or a hunter for the reason you quit. I cannot bring myself to kill creatures.

And yes, American missionaries and businessmen imposed themselves and their customs on Hawaii as Europeans had on the North American mainland. Both places enjoyed successful civilizations going back thousands of years and were doing fine without the haolis.

9:20 AM  
Blogger jmb said...

I think I went fishing once and it was too traumatic for me. But I do like to eat it.
I heard a biologist from the Fisheries Dept (is that what it's called) talk about fish farms and how good they were for everyone and she convinced me in her excellent talk.

7:51 PM  
Blogger Jazz said...

I've never understood how some people can be against hunting, but think that fishing is ok.

True a salmon or trout isn't a cute mammal, but I've always thought it was just as bad to kill them as any other animal.

And catch and release is almost worse, because basically you're just torturing the animal for the thrill of it. Quite edifying as behaviours go...

This being said, I'm an unapologetic meat eater, so perhaps I'm just as much of a hypocrite since I'm way too much of a wuss to want to eat food that I killed myself.

7:25 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home