Thursday, September 06, 2007

Dateline: Cannon Beach, Oregon.

So, this is basically the view we have outside our window at the moment. Just a brief message to let you know that we are in full-blown vacation mode; have found a great place to stay; had an easy trip down from Victoria. What could be better?

As I said, I would keep you posted whenever I got the chance as we went along, and I will definitely do so. Bonus being we have free wireless in the Tolovana Inn, which we found for our first night's stay.

I love the coast of Oregon and haven't been down her in many years -- probably more than 20, but it's all familiar once again.

Left Victoria yesterday morning on the MV Coho and made a fog-enshrouded passage to Port Angeles WA. An easy ride south with little traffic all the way. Were in Cannon Beach by 2 p.m., and that was after stopping for lunch in the little milltown of Raymond, WA.

Cannon Beach is as 'yuppified' as I remember it being, but it's still a cool spot. Our plan is to meander along this coast and the N. California coast and just see where we get, since we have to be back home by the 17th of the month as work encroaches for both of us. I shall, dear friends, keep you posted.

13 Comments:

Blogger Ellee Seymour said...

I have an English girlfriend living in Oregan who has invited me to visit her, I would love to go, it looks stunning. What a wonderful picture.

10:35 AM  
Blogger Jazz said...

I love the west coast. I've wandered from San Francisco down to San Diego, but other than Seattle I've never been to the Pacific northwest

1:20 PM  
Blogger meggie said...

Beautiful picture! It looks so soothing for the soul. Enjoy!

3:08 PM  
Blogger laughingwolf said...

dang, sure wish i was small enough to fit in your trunk ;) lol

3:18 PM  
Blogger Heidi said...

Wow what a beautiful view!

Hsve a fantastic time..Enjoy too the fullest.

3:48 PM  
Blogger Janice Thomson said...

Oh Ian that coastline is so beautiful. I guess you'll be on the Big Sur Coast Highway or is it still the number 1 along the Oregon coast?
Wishing you and Wendy a blissful time.

5:22 PM  
Blogger Ian Lidster said...

Thank you all for your comments. Tomorrow we planning to go to the sand dunes in Florence. And Jazz, you will have to try the northern course, as much as I love both San Francisco and especially San Diego (being a sun loving guy).
Actually, Janice, it's 101,and you don't get to Highway 1 until California. Anyway, more to come.

7:47 PM  
Blogger jmb said...

I love Oregan too, but haven't been there for years either. Despite being very commercial Cannon Beach is a wonderful beach.
Enjoy your vacation.

10:01 PM  
Blogger Tai said...

WOW!!!
Oh, have enough fun for me, too!

10:15 PM  
Blogger geewits said...

I love that picture. It sounds like you guys have a good plan.

12:10 AM  
Blogger heiresschild said...

what a beautiful view. i would love to take my time and drive along the whole coast of california. enjoy!

9:21 AM  
Blogger Angela said...

Oh, Hooray! I love, love, love Cannon Beach and that entire 101 drive (which should be so much nicer now that the kiddos are back in school). If the Gingerbread mansion is available in Ferndale, CA, that's a lovely place. Also the Benbow Inn near Garberville. Enjoy your time!! And thanks so much for posting the pictures. I didn't get to stay long enough when we went, so it's lovely to think that I can live it again vicariously a bit through you. Trinidad also has some nice B&Bs on the cliffs overlooking the ocean.

9:26 AM  
Blogger Bibi said...

Oh, this is one of my very favorite places. I know it well and spent my annual solo-retreat there last year, right on the beach. I didn't want to leave. Have a blast ...

Ps. Hope you got to ride the dune buggies or ATVs down in Florence!

9:26 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home