Saturday, September 08, 2007

In Italy it's called Firenze


So, here we are in Florence, Oregon, about half way along the coastline and I have come to a few conclusions about Oregon since we began, and most of them are good. Oh, by the way, excuse the paucity of pictures in this posting, but I only have a crappy ethernet connection in this otherwise fine hostelry. So, electronically I feel like I'm stuck in about 1977.
Anyway, Oregon conclusions. Highway 101 is amazingly scenic, but so much for my preconception that the crowds would disappear after Labor Day. Congested and a pretty rudimentary road to boot would pretty much cover it. However, that is not a negative. The vistas are spectacular and periodically they are punctuated by pastoral agricultural (hmm, think that's redundant) regions.
Other conclusions include the fact that Oregon is truly a tourism oriented state, and every attempt is made to render a stay a charming one. There is also a huge bonus to an Oregon visit: No Sales Tax! If something is posted as costing $3.95 it will cost $3.95 at the till, not $270, as might be the case in BC with all its hideous taxation ripoffs. Uh-oh, feel curmudgeonliness coming on.
Anyway, yesterday we drove from charming Cannon Beach to equally charming (but different) Florence. We made a brief stop at Tillamook so we could experience the ritual cutting of the cheese, and also to sample some mighty fine ice cream. Actually, we bought about 17 pounds of Tillamook Cheese, which is practically free compared with what we'd pay at home.
In Florence, one partakes of the splendors of sand dunes that go on forever and they are magnificent beyond compare. In answer to Bibi, we were going to do the ATV dune buggy thing, and then just decided we didn't feel like the noise this morning. The hike and fresh air did it for us. But, we may on our way out as we head to Brookings down near the California state line.
So, the weather is splendid, Old Town Florence (where we are staying) is cool, and the river breeze is refreshing. All is good at the moment, and I''ll be back soon. Thank you for your thoughts on the last posting.

Labels:

14 Comments:

Blogger Tanya Brown said...

I envy you. Oregon is a marvelous place. They've done a great job of protecting the coastline.

You probably don't need any suggestions, but I'll toss them in anyhow:

Shore Acres - It's down near Coos Bay, and it's a little botanical jewel of a place.

Bandon - There's a place called Cranberry Sweets which used to sell cheddar cheese fudge. Some don't care for it; I suppose that, like a martini, it's an acquired taste. However, I'm inordinately fond of the stuff.

Have a lovely vacation!

5:54 PM  
Blogger Big Brother said...

Wow, what scenery... beautiful. As you say, not too many pictures but quality always trumps quantity. ;op Have a good vacation and take care.

7:26 PM  
Blogger Angela said...

Hooray for the trip! Boooo for the traffic. I had hoped for better for you. You haven't tried to pump your own gas yet, have you? Don't do it -- they'll yell at you. I'd say that I love Brookings, but what I *really* love is the Best Western on the beach at Brookings and the little restaurant opposite it. I hope you have a marvelous time. Please hug a tree for me when you get down into Del Norte county. Ahhhh, I miss it already. The weather looks beautiful! Thank you so much for sharing.

8:51 PM  
Blogger jmb said...

Going down the 101 is great, with all those towns one after the other. A bit slow however, especially if the tourists haven't gone home yet. I remember salt taffy and bowls made of myrtle wood and cheese, as you said.
Have a great vacation.

10:15 PM  
Blogger meggie said...

MmmmHmmm, A cheesy vacation! Who could resist! So glad you are having a lovely time. Hug it all for me!

1:57 AM  
Blogger Liz Dwyer said...

Oh my, it's lovely there! I've never been but I've always heard how beautiful it is there. I think I have some Tillamook cheese in my fridge. I think I'll somehow add that to the breakfast menu!

7:38 AM  
Blogger Janice Thomson said...

It is such a beautiful coastline. Glad you are enjoying yourselves. Be safe and look forward to more awesome photos and bits of info.

10:00 AM  
Blogger geewits said...

Great picture. I didn't realize the west coast had anything that looks like the east coast. Now I want to go to Oregon!

11:31 AM  
Blogger Wendy C. said...

Apparently, I missed a lot while recouperating from family drama! You're in Oregon?
I haven't quite determined which way you're heading (North or South) but if you happen to find yourself about 90 minutes south of the Oregon border, I hope you'll stop for coffee in Eureka!

11:54 AM  
Blogger laughingwolf said...

sounds superb to me, ian...but methinks you'll have probs trying to smuggle the cheese back across the line, what with the sniffer dogs and all ;) lol

seems neither side wants ANY ag products from the other, or is there an exception for cheeses?

12:53 PM  
Blogger Ian Lidster said...

Tanya: I agree with how wonderfully the Oregon coastline is protected, but not so sure about the cheddar cheese fudge.

Big Brother: Quality indeed always trumps quantity, as I regularly tell my wife.

Angela:Hilarious about the gas pumping. Yep, made that gaffe yesterday. Guy was not pleased. Very odd. And, as I noted earlier, I am staying at just the place you suggested in Brookings.

jmb: All your reminiscences of 101 are all fully in place.

Meggy: Thank you for your wishes.

Liz: Well, Liz, all you have to do is hit the road to the north and you'll be there in no time. Take the I-5 to Grant's Pass, and jog to the left.

Janice: Thank you so much for your wishes.

Geewits: I do hope to do that coast sometime in the future, meantime, you'd love this one.

Wendy: Would that we could make it to Eureka, and I would definitely look you up, but time precludes, so we will head north after Brookings so that we can get to Crater Lake. Next time? There will be one because I had forgotten how much I love this area.

Laughing Wolf: I didn't know there was a prohibition against cross-border cheese. We'll have to check that out.

4:37 PM  
Blogger laughingwolf said...

hope i'm wrong, we used to get groceries and bring them back in the olden days, but much has changed....

3:57 AM  
Blogger heartinsanfrancisco said...

How lovely. I haven't been to Oregon, although I live in California, but I know it's beautiful.

Enjoy!

6:22 PM  
Blogger CS said...

Both sets of photos are beautifil (this and the previous). And I'm getting a kick out of the mis-spelled tag, Ooregon. I imagine a beagle saying the word.

11:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home