Sunday, September 09, 2007

Things I've learned on this road trip







This current excursion is the first road trip I've taken in a very long time. Our travels usually involve the stresses of airplanes, airport hassles, security checks by utter incompetents and being expedited to faraway places. This time, as a change, and because our time isn't voluminous, we decided to hit the road. We're happy we did and are having a great time.
But, in doing the road tip and going from place-to place, I have learned some stuff. One of the important ones is that I have a two-day tolerance for junk food. I cannot believe the guy who wrote Supersize Me didn't die during his month. After two days I end up feeling bloated, nauseous, gassy (pardon!), and generally out-of-sorts. Doesn't matter what the joint is, the alleged food becomes repulsive. Consequently, we are endeavoring to prepare our own fare as much as possible. Today, for our drive south, we packed a picnic lunch. We stopped at a state park over the ocean, ate our simple sandwiches and it was heavenly. The gull we shared our lunch with thought so, too.
Something else I have learned is that this year's souvenir is next year's yard sale item. Wandering through Old Town Florence (pictured above) is very cool. But, shop-after-shop offers to hungry tourists virtually the exactly same items of crap. Nothing much I want to take home, sorry. Mind you, I'm not big on souvenirs at the best of times. My souvenirs are my memories and my photos, and that's all I need, not a tacky T-shirt or a crummy coffee mug.
Today we moved south. We are currently in Brookings, right near the California state line and it is disappointingly foggy after a very bright day in Florence, yesterday. But, it's good, anyway, and as I have already told Angela, we are staying in just the hostelry she suggested, even though she hadn't yet suggested it when we made the decision. We're going to be here for a couple of days, and then move on, hopefully to go up to Crater Lake early in the week.



Labels:

12 Comments:

Blogger meggie said...

It does look very blue & inviting.
I am with you on the junk food thing too. Makes us feel sick after a couple of days. You long for plain simple healthy food!
Keep enjoying yourselves!

4:56 PM  
Blogger Big Brother said...

How right you are Ian, when we were in the UK and Ireland, we started off by eating pub grub but we soon got ourselves a small camp stove, some pots and pans and learned how to get groceries at Tesco's. It became our daily routine to cook ourselves a good supper beside our tent and make ourselves sandwiches for the next day's visits.

5:32 PM  
Blogger andrea said...

Enjoying your tour from the armchair here. I haven't been to Florence in 20+ years.

6:25 PM  
Blogger jmb said...

Thanks for taking us with you on your road trip. It certainly beats waiting in the airport terminal, especially with all that wonderful scenery.

I agree about the junk food but usually I sick of it after the first day. The great thing is the salad bars in the supermarkets in the States.
Crater Lake is the place where I had my first experience with a bear, while camping there. Summer of 1962. I hope you enjoy the beautiful scenery there and don't run into any bears!
regards
jmb

10:47 PM  
Blogger laughingwolf said...

nice town indeed... and much agreement on the junk food, glad i learned cooking from ma and pa in days of yore

continued fun on your trip

4:00 AM  
Blogger Jazz said...

Things I've learn on your road trip....

You're right about fast food

and

I'm really overdue for a road trip

5:42 AM  
Blogger Tai said...

I'm with Jazz!

10:52 AM  
Blogger heartinsanfrancisco said...

The beach looks beautiful. If there is seashore, I'm happy.

You're so right about fast food. I can't do it at all. I respect my body too much.

Enjoy your travels and take lots of pictures for us.

6:19 PM  
Blogger Janice Thomson said...

Junk food and souvenirs - the downside to road trips. It doesn't take long to start making your own meals and ignoring the souvenirs. Loved the bit about the seagull LOL.

7:41 PM  
Blogger Angela said...

I should have warned you about the fog. The sun truly only shines there about 3 hours a year. ;) (Okay, a bit of an exaggeration, but honestly, it's the dreariest place I've ever lived.) I hope you enjoy Crater Lake. It's a beautiful view on a sunny day. (Fingers crossed for sun!)

4:03 PM  
Blogger CS said...

I'm so jealous - I am just longing to be "away" right now! I'm with you on the memories and the photos, although I admit to occassionally wanting the T-shirt, too.

10:58 AM  
Blogger Angela said...

Hope you're still enjoying your trip! Just wanted to let you know I was thinking of you both and wishing you happy travels!

2:57 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home