Thursday, September 27, 2007

Unlike old Bob Fulghum, I didn't learn so much there

I preferred this to going to kindergarten. I'm the filthy urchin on the right. The name of the kid on the left, absolutely true, is Charlie Brown. I don't think it's the same one, however.
This morning I ran into a young female friend. She’s a single mom and she told me how she has gone back to school, with an end desire to get a degree in accounting. I was tempted to say that I didn’t think she was so into boredom, but I refrained. Anyway, the world always needs accountants – I guess.

Anyway, during our conversation, she told me of how her little boy had just begun kindergarten, so both Mom and kid were now at school. I thought that was nice. You know, just ‘nice’.

The conversation also put me in mind of the fact that I once went to kindergarten. Not a bad thing in itself except that I didn’t fully appreciate that KG was just the kickoff of a grand total of 17 years of formal education that were to follow.

Therefore, I offer you an excerpt from my yet-to-be-published book which, in this case, concerns my kindergarten career. I hope you enjoy because, when the day comes that it appears on bookstore shelves, I do hope you ‘buy.’

Kindergarten:

My so-called ‘formal’ education began around the time the family moved into the new house on Price Street. By ‘formal’ I only mean that I had to be there. My cherished free time – and it had theretofore all been free time – was abruptly truncated by the loss of a few hours each weekday morning. I didn’t realize that this was the beginning of a reality that would dominate my life from the age of five to the age of twenty-four. Only I can judge if I learned anything in the process. I’m still uncertain as to whether those nearly twenty years were as well spent as they might have been. Probably not. Maybe definitely not.

My initial place of learning was known as Valley View Kindergarten and it was held in a little community hall a block or so away from my grandparents’ house, around the area that’s now occupied by the municipal hall and Burnaby Central Secondary. It was right across the street from Ross Hicks’ house, but that would pinpoint it only if you knew Ross Hicks and where he lived.

Valley View was a place to which a bunch of tiny tykes were sent off to spend three hours each day away from their mothers in order to gain a smattering of independence, and to also learn the rudiments of jungle gym use, naptime, learn that graham crackers were a paltry substitute for regular cookies, and how, though not why, girls and boys have different bathrooms.

In those days kindergarten wasn’t compulsory, but my mother sent me anyway, saying it was good for me, but primarily, what with a new baby and all, to get me out of her hair. I don’t really blame her.

I don’t remember much about kindergarten, and I’m not certain I learned anything of lasting value, unlike Robert Fulghum it seems. I remember how one particularly terrible kid was locked in a back room after he threw an apeshit tantrum and started kicking the teacher. Secured in the back room (which was only separated from where the rest of us sat by glass French doors), he cried until he vomited. I also got my first girlfriend at kindergarten. I’ll choose to let her remain nameless, but she had a cute little Prince Valiant haircut and came from a family of God-fearing folk who spent a lot of time perusing the Good Book. I would sometimes walk home with her through the woods, just like Hansel and Gretel. Sometimes we would hold hands, but our acts of intimacy never progressed beyond that.

I also remember one nap-time in which I, in my repose, realized that I could see right up to the top of the long legs of the teacher standing above me. For some reason I liked that, though I was unsure as to the ‘why’ at that time.

That was about it as far as my kindergarten career went. That educational interlude did it for me, and I was happy when it was over. Somehow it had become lost to me that kindergarten was only the beginning of a compulsory process designed to take much of the bliss out of my life and to send me in directions I didn’t think I wanted to go.

Labels: ,

15 Comments:

Blogger Hageltoast said...

Cute photo, mud is the best place to play!!
I love Fulgham's books, they refresh my hope for the species.

11:16 AM  
Blogger Bibi said...

Lovely photo ... Get your book out there so we can buy! ;-)

Re your teacher's long legs, my dance partner Marion R (a boy) got his legs smacked for lying on the floor looking up Misses skirt. lol.

3:30 PM  
Blogger heiresschild said...

i remember kindergarten too, for it was there i also got locked in our cloak room by the teacher, after getting caught playing in there. it put a deep fear of the dark in me that didn't go until recently. even now, i still don't sleep in complete darkness, but my t.v. light or computer light will do.

kindergarten these days are totally different. they even have to know certain things like name, address, phone number, colors, numbers to a certain point before they even start--at least here they do. no more nap time either, plus they're now all day. i agree; it was the beginning of many years of study, etc. no wonder by the time i was thirteen, i asked my mom could i drop out of school.

looking forward to your book.

4:02 PM  
Blogger meggie said...

I would like to read your book!
I have found, though we live in different countries, 'little kid life' was a lot similar, no matter where you live.

4:07 PM  
Blogger Angela said...

Yes, do sign me up for a book! How exciting! The photo is adorable, YOU are adorable, and it's such a wonderful coincidence that the boy's name is Charlie Brown. PERFECT!

4:31 PM  
Blogger Tai said...

I'm standing in line at the bookstore already!

My memories of KG are nothing like that.
In fact...I don't remember much about it at all!
(I do hope you have that picture enlarged and framed somewhere, it's marvelous!)

6:05 PM  
Blogger Janice Thomson said...

That's a priceless photo Ian. I loved this excerpt from your book and can't wait till it comes out...I'll be knocking at your door for it. :)

6:18 PM  
Blogger Tanya Brown said...

Wallowing in mud - is there anything more perfect?

I look forward to your book.

7:37 PM  
Blogger Spider Girl said...

'Covered with mud' is seemingly the natural state of children, at least given access to dirt and water. You're a pretty cute kid, if a little grubby.

I'll buy your book. :)

8:49 PM  
Blogger jmb said...

I am amazed that you can remember so clearly this period of your life Ian.
All these preorders for copies of your book!
Such a blonde little tiger!

11:01 PM  
Blogger geewits said...

I can't even hear the word kindergarten without thinking of the word "tablet." I had never heard the word used as "pad" as in "pad of paper." I only knew the word as in "Aspirin tablet." Every day the kindergarten teacher would ask me why I had not brought a tablet and every day I would tell her that I did not think my parents would want me to. I don't know if she spoke to them and they got me a "writing tablet" or what. But I never put it together at the time and it wasn't until years later I remembered the whole "tablet" thing. I don't think the word "tablet" is used in either context anymore.

I like your story. Good luck with your book!

11:14 PM  
Blogger laughingwolf said...

she chose 'accounting' as a way to have reliable pay, to ensure her child has life's basics... even if it means doing something not really her 'thing'... i laud her parental 'sacrifice', but urge her to follow her heart in a hobby which may lead to supplemental income

yeah, i loved playing in the dirt as well, at that age, and exploring all the outdoors had to offer

funny excerpt, hope you get it printed

if you want to try the self-publishing route, i have urls to some superb, inexpensive, sites

the final products are fantastic

i'm at: sinner1man@gmail.com

6:18 AM  
Blogger andrea said...

Thanks for whetting our appetites for the future! I remember that I feared and disliked my K teacher and that I always pretended to nap. She was pretty dense, too -- it took her almost the whole year to discover that I could read already.

12:50 PM  
Blogger heartinsanfrancisco said...

This is utterly charming. And you were an adorable little boy.

My mother never forgave me because on the first day of kindergarten while all the other little tykes screamed with faces embedded in their mothers' skirts, I said, loftily, "You can go now, Mommy."

It turned out that a long succession of teachers would find me as challenging as she and my father did. But when it all began, none of us was the wiser.

8:57 PM  
Blogger CS said...

I love when mykids come home all grubby. Let's me know they've been playing hard, as kids should.

And I LOVED kindergarten. I had a miagical teacher who believed that kindergarten was a time to explore the world through play and every day was a treat.

9:26 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home