Sunday, September 23, 2007

Name your AOTY winners, we want to hear them

I decided this day it was time for a good, old-fashioned rant. Haven’t done that for a while. Not that I feel negative. In fact, I feel great. Just back from vacation, and the weather is splendid. Nothing wrong at all. But, I still sensed a need to vent some spleen.

In that context, I have created a new award that is called the AOTY Award. AOTY is an acronym of sorts for ‘Asshole of the Year’ and there seems to be a surfeit of eligible candidates. If you find the term ‘asshole’ offends your sensibilities, then please substitute something appropriate like jerk, moron, cretin, thoughtless pig, self-indulgent flaming guttersnipe, and so on. I only chose asshole because it is the word that immediately springs to my lips when I experience certain behaviors by others.

Now, we all are capable to mistakes, and we’ve all been assholes at different times, but the majority of us are caring and socially responsible individuals who are heedful of how our behavior might impact others, so we, especially with maturity, have learned to approach the world with empathy as in, “If I do that thing, how will it make another feel? Furthermore, how do I feel if somebody does that to me?” It’s simple, see. It’s just your standard Golden Rule.

Anyway, the thought came to me because of a couple of incidents over the last week that gave me pause to consider just how moronic some people – people who otherwise have the right to vote and (more confounding) breed more of their ilk – can be.

The first incident was when we were back on Vancouver Island on our last vacation day early in the week. Five minutes off the ferry from Vancouver, and turning onto a freeway interchange there is a guy parked on the shoulder of the interchange entry road. My initial assumption was that his car had broken down, and I thought, what an unfortunate place. But then – but then!! – the bastard pulled right out in front of me and proceeded forward at about 30-per, and then pulled in behind another vehicle on the shoulder up ahead, and they both pulled out into traffic and proceeded a the aforementioned 30-ish. Wow, how did I know I was back on Vancouver Island? Mainly because this big chunk of rock boasts some of the worst drivers on the planet. So, that guy and his friend were my first AOTY recipients.

The next day, which was sunny and nice, Wendy and I decided to take a favorite walk at a spot known as the Courtenay Air Park. It’s a lovely spot, about a mile or so, right on the river estuary. As we entered the walkway I noticed there was a large locked iron gate across the walkway. Why? A few yards on I saw why. Some peabrain had driven his car down the path and up over the grass in this pastoral setting that is enjoyed by walkers, cyclists and skaters. Yet, a moron had to defile it by driving his car there. My second winner is this child who was obviously spawned by a mother somewhere, and sired by some sort of a father.

But wait, there are more. As follows is an eclectic array of winners, some named, some not.

1. All graffiti ‘artists’ who would defile public places. If you are genuinely talented at your craft, then take up legitimate are or sign on as a mural painter.

2. Canadian merchants who persist, despite the fact that the Canadian and US dollars are on par, in charging outrageously inflated prices for such things as books, music, vehicles, electronics and much more, and then offer lame excuses exhorting us to be patient while reaping huge profits at the expense of consumers. The most egregious example of this that I’ve seen lately was a book (of which I just completed a newspaper review) that is published in Canada, was printed in Canada and retails for $19.95. US price, $17.95!

3. George W. Bush who would deny subsidized medical aid to the poorest of kids, offering the excuse that it would be the thin edge of the wedge in permitting (gasp) the sort of ‘socialized medical care’ that is the pattern in virtually every other western nation. Hmm. Speaking of thin edge of the wedge, ever hear of Marie Antoinette?

4. Environmental ‘activists’ who fly from speaking engagement to speaking engagement in private jets, all the while decrying global warming and our general despoliation of the planet.

5. Medical researchers who offer us more and more frightening health scenarios in our daily papers, day after day, some of which are even contradictory to another “researchers say” article in the same paper. This is, of course, all in the name of keepin’ them old grant bucks a-comin’. The most important realization for all of us regarding health, and life in general, is that none of us will get out of it alive.

6. Newspapers, their publishers and their editors who believe that the pantieless and substance abusing antics of the Britneys Parises and Lindsays are actual real news of import to a well-informed public. I would like to suggest an award too to those who actually read this crud. Only problem is, then I’d have to give myself one.

7. ‘Big tobacco’ and its sins is an utter no brainer. Of course they are culpable in their assault on the world’s health in the name of profit. ‘Big booze’ is nearly as bad with its pushing, especially towards the young, of its potent potables without ever mentioning the horrors of overindulgence. But, what about ‘Big soda pop?’ The containers get larger and larger and the hype is constant. A lifetime of Diabetes II along with the award for that particular industry.

8. Price-fixing petroleum companies, especially in Canada. Not only do we pay exorbitantly high prices for our ‘essence’, when the price goes to a certain level (twice what it cost us on our recent US trip) then every station in town will be at exactly the same price within seconds. The companies maintain there is no price-fixing (they lie) and the government says there is nothing it can do It also lies.

There are more, many more potential AOTY award winners, but I thought I’d leave it at eight. If you have some of our own, I’d love to hear them.

Labels:

14 Comments:

Blogger Hermes said...

Another good list. Entitlement! That's all I have to say. I live in a small, isolated community run on diesel generators (because of a hydro dam that flooded the old setllement and BC hydro's refusal to supply power here). Anyway, a few years ago, the word went out to conserve energy as the gen was not healthy. Heat only! I spread the word to the teacher living next door (not a local) who smiled and said, "yeah. Well I'm going to do my landry while I can." 40 below, generators failing and she feels entitled to luxury at everyone else's expense. Just an example of what's wrong with all of us! Now if you'll excuse me, I have a flight to catch if I want to make that Al Gore seminar :)

3:40 PM  
Blogger meggie said...

Good post!
Dont get me started!!
My top AOTY awards would go to every sewer rat who abuses, whether physically or mentally, children.
Equal top for sewer rats who live off the profits of drugs- this can include some drug companies- or the misery of exploited women &/or children prostitutes/drug addicts.

4:25 PM  
Blogger thailandchani said...

Mine would definitely include people who play their car radios so loud that the windows in my house vibrate. That bass makes me want to crawl out of my skin. So.. they would receive the award from me. :)


Peace,

~Chani
http://thailandgal.blogspot.com

7:32 PM  
Blogger laughingwolf said...

i concur, and add to the last one: canadian [alberta] crude is sold to u.s. refineries, for peanuts, then WE buy it back, at superinflated prices!!!

add 'big biz', 'big gov' and the 'military', of all kinds, to your aoty list... along with what meggie sez

oops! add most of western 'civilization' to that, as well...

5:11 AM  
Blogger heiresschild said...

i'm trying to narrow mine down, but you made a good list.

10:43 AM  
Blogger Dr. Deb said...

THIS was such a great post. Nothing like a good rant every now and then, I agree.

11:12 AM  
Blogger Ellee Seymour said...

How about billionaire Alisher Usmanov and his solicitors firm Schillings for shutting down British blogs when they didn't like the criticism.
http://elleeseymour.com/2007/09/21/outrageous-shutting-down-of-british-blogs/

12:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

All worthy AOTYA Nominees!

how about people who cut infront of you in traffic only to go super slow.

12:02 PM  
Blogger Ian Lidster said...

Thank you all for your lists of award winners. All were excellent, and especially those ones expressing utter disdain for drunk drivers and child abusers. Couldn't agree more and regret I forgot to include them on mine.

1:22 PM  
Blogger heiresschild said...

even though this post is closed, i wanted to say this one: people who sit out in their cars and blow their horns instead of getting out and knocking on the door or either phoning ahead to say they're on their way.

6:25 PM  
Blogger Tanya Brown said...

Ian, feel free to delete this if it's a bit much, but here's my candidate: people who think not having part of a helpless, innocent newborn boy's dick cut off without anaesthetic or his permission is bizarre or wrong.

I actually had people ask me this question when I was pregnant. Actually, they didn't ask. They'd say "You're having your son circumcised, aren't you?" They'd then come up with idiotic statements about how most men wanted their sons to look like them, as though whipping out said private parts and comparing them was a common event. When I didn't respond to that, they'd go on about how foreskins were dirty, dirty, dirty and they also looked weird. To make matters worse, all of the people advocating this surgery were women, who had presumably never had the body part in question, much less had it forcibly removed without their permission.

My responses were something along the lines of the following:

1. This is your business - why?

2. Have you read about how this is done? Have you looked at photos? I have. Tell you what - go have a certain sensitive, intimate part of your anatomy cut off without anaesthetic, and if it's a great experience you think everyone should have, get back to me.

3. Yes, penises with foreskins look weird. So do penises without foreskins. Penises just look weird, period. That's why pants are a good thing.

4. Isn't a parent having an obsession with the appearance of their kid's penis and changing it to please them sort of ... well ... sick?

5. Yes, private parts get dirty. That's why we bathe.

6. It's his dick. Not mine, not anyone else's. I'm only keeping an eye on it until he's old enough to clean it himself. Barring unforeseen medical issues, I thought he might like some say over what was done to it. If he wants to make modifications when he's an adult, it's his business. Dare to leave your kid's dick alone, I say!

Thank you. I feel a little better now.

8:39 PM  
Blogger jmb said...

Ian, you lost your protective skin when you went on holiday. I always found that it takes two weeks for it to grow back then everything will roll off you like water off a duck's back.
Good post, Ian. I wish we could actually do something about these things instead of just ranting.
regards
jmb

10:24 PM  
Blogger laughingwolf said...

tanya, i could not agree more...

3:23 AM  
Blogger Janice Thomson said...

Hear you loud and clear and agree completely Ian and could add so much more but not enough room. I'm with Jmb and wish we could do something about these things. Our world definitely needs to grow up. Excellent post as usual my friend.

8:17 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home