Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Makes me almost, sorta, kinda proud to be a Canadian, in a manner of speaking

Now, I must confess something – I have never been to Saskatchewan. That’s likely a reality I share with many of my compatriots. I’ve been through Saskatchewan – on a train. I’ve been over Saskatchewan many times, in a plane. But as for actually setting my feet down there on that particular chunk of bold, bald prairie, not so much.

That notwithstanding, I have developed a huge affection for the residents of Dog River, Sask. Dog River, if you don’t know, is a tiny little fictitious prairie community consisting of a water tower, a bar, a gas-station cum general store, an eatery, and a main street you could probably spit the length of. In this urban scene is an eclectic mix of folk from a wise-acre (but very smart) employee of the store/gas station, a foxy city slicker high-maintenance broad who runs the eatery, two cops (male and female), a battling late middle age couple, the resident bonehead and ne’er do well, and the central character, personified by a former stand-up comic named (wait for it, because the name’s for real) Brent Butt.

I refer, of course, to Corner Gas. Corner Gas is utterly unique amongst Canadian TV offerings for, in the first place, people actually watch it, and secondly, because it’s genuinely funny and genuinely charming. We like these folks. Such a sentiment is an anomaly among viewers of Canadian TV who judge virtually everything by US or British standards of TV production.

Even more of an anomaly is that the people behind CG have actually succeeded in selling this delightful sitcom to the US, mainly because it has built up a sizable fan-base south of the 49th. And why not? Small town Saskatchewan is really not so very different from, say, small town Nebraska, or small town North Dakota.

I like CG, and look forward to airings of the show. The primary reasons I’m a bit enchanted with it are because it’s both homegrown, and it’s not lame. The ‘Lame Factor’ has been a killer of many Canadian TV series. The only ones to come to mind that managed to escape the LF were the Red-Green Show, Kids in the Hall and SCTV. Otherwise, sorry, la-a-a-ame!

Not only lame but, in the case of many comedies, outrageously ‘unfunny’. I mean, there has been a bit of crud kicking around the CBC for it seems like a half-century, called Royal Canadian Air Farce. Folks, these guys have honed unfunny to a fine art, and were arguably only surpassed by the always unfunny yet so-called "comedy" team of Wayne and Shuster. I also have an insider comment I cherish by a woman who worked with them that they were detestable, ego-driven swine. Man, when I set out to damn someone, I pull out all stops and even bring in reserves. Oh well, works for me.

Some people might like to cite Rick Mercer as being terrifically funny, witty, satirical and so forth. Sorry. In the first place he works for the CBC. Secondly, he was mildly amusing nearly a decade ago. Finally, Jon Stewart he ain’t, no matter how much he tries to be, and he really tries.

Which brings me back to CG. These people are funny for two reasons. In the first case, the writing is superlative, and secondly, the cast is not self-involved. The members are pretty much what you see and they never appear to belabor anything. Just a fine group of down-home, decent, and outrageously dysfunctional folks, just like the rest of us.

Labels:

9 Comments:

Blogger laughingwolf said...

agree, for the most part... but i was partial to rick's 'made in canada' at times, other times it stunk... and 'this hour has 22 minutes' was worthwhile, once upon a time

6:13 PM  
Blogger heiresschild said...

i've never seen any of those shows, but there were 2 police shows that were filmed in canada that were on here last season. unfortunately, neither made it back this season, and for that i'm sad.

7:18 PM  
Blogger heartinsanfrancisco said...

I've never heard of this show or Dog River, but I haven't been to Saskatchewan, if that helps.

7:50 PM  
Blogger jmb said...

Well I have to confess that I have never watched this show but maybe I will now that you have recommended it.
Many highly successful popular comedy shows from across the border are also lame in my opinion.
So we shall see. When is it on anyway?

8:29 PM  
Blogger Hermes said...

Canadian TV sucks because most of the talent moves south. That's where the money is. Funnily enough, some Canadian movies have been quite good. Tara Spencer-Nairn (the blonde cop) is a fantastic actor. If you haven't seen "New Waterford Girl", check it out. She was amazing.

9:54 PM  
Blogger meggie said...

I wonder if we will get the chance to see it here in Oz.

11:46 PM  
Blogger Jazz said...

Never watched CG for some reason. Probably fear of the Lame Factor. However, regarding Rick Mercer, I beg to differ. I loves me some Rick.

6:12 AM  
Blogger Eastcoastdweller said...

Good to hear. We down south of y'all, need to pay more attention to the talents of Canada.

9:09 AM  
Blogger Janice Thomson said...

I've heard a lot about this show too Ian but have never seen it. I don't watch much TV but I'll certainly look into this one.

1:13 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home