Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Probably better not to let the 'Bartman' go free

A few years ago I devised an entirely new psychological theory. It’s called Acknowledge your Inner Bart Simpson. I suppose I’ll have to also nod in the direction of Matt Groening for using his character in my theory, but the idea was mine. And I think it's brilliant, possibly even revolutionary.

It came about when I was at a clinical workshop a few years ago. A workshop attended by assorted counsellors (as I was at the time), social worker sorts, shrinks, nurses, etc. and we were bandying around various bits of stuff, and we got into Inner Child musings. I’m not going to disparage Inner Child considerations, because I believe there’s a lot of validity in getting in touch with that whimpering, simpering, pooping, peeing, frightened little wretch we all keep deep within us. At our most fundamental we remain forever frightened to go to school and be separated from Mom.

But, I threw out that I also believe we have an Inner Bart Simpson. Our Inner Bart is like that little demon on our shoulders when we’re tempted to do something bad. Now, the bad thing can be eating an extra slice of chocolate cake all the way through to having a torrid affair with your neighbor. My point was we all have such nefarious impulses within us, too. But, as we have become functional adults, we’ve learned to suppress that little Bart guy. But I think, quite seriously, that it is a mug's game to ignore him. He is there. No matter how functional, pious, responsible we might be as adults, there remains a lurking Bart.

What does our ‘Bart’ want to do, as opposed to what our big adult actually does? Well, he wants to:

- Bare his bum and run naked.
- Eat everything that is bad for him, and the more of it the better
- Ignore all and every health consideration
- Scream out profanities at the hypocritical and dogmatic
- Drive well over the speed limit in a fuel-thirsty pig of a vehicle with 200 horsepower more than necessary
- Have sex with absolutely everybody who tickles his fancy, even if she’s a complete stranger in a supermarket aisle. Oh, and have that encounter maybe in the supermarket aisle
- Drink like he doesn’t have a liver and never get hungover
- March always to his own drummer, with no consideration for the feelings of others.
- Be highly politically incorrect and say what “he really thinks” about certain strictures of society that demand that we never, ever offend anybody. Bart wants to offend

And it goes on and on. Now, I wasn’t suggesting the aforementioned were things I want to do, they are what Inner Bart wants to do. And, as with your inner child, be kind and gentle with Inner Bart. He needs nurturing, though not encouragement. Remember he always wants to break through if you weaken. Better for all if you don’t, but a lot more fun if you do.

Addendum: Now, to change the subject, I realize that with my last posting I forgot to include my ‘Awesome Dude Blogger’ recipients, and in that I will look to the following members of my own sex: Big Brother, Laughing Wolf, Groanin’ Jock, and East Coast Dweller. You all deserve the accolade, guys, so come and pick up your award by downloading the icon from my posting, and maybe passing it on to some folks of your own.


13 Comments:

Blogger Janice Thomson said...

I don't know Ian...I can be awfully dense at times but I sure as heck hope I don't have a Bart Simpson hiding in me somewhere - I dislike that rude little jerk. LOL But I do think there's an occasion or two when we just want to let it all hang out and not give a dam about the consequences.

1:24 PM  
Blogger Jazz said...

Unlike Janice, I looooooooove me my Bart. And damn if he doesn't regularly get out for a spin .

1:27 PM  
Blogger pissed off patricia said...

I think it's fun to allow your inner bart to get a little exercise sometimes. Don't let him do really bad things, just fun things. I do and it makes me smile.

I also have an inner Lisa and she tells me when bart should be told to shut the fu*k up and behave like an adult.

1:29 PM  
Blogger jmb said...

I was reading a blog the other day discussing this very thing except he called it the inner reptile!
I'm afraid Bart is another TV character I've missed but I get the idea and will be beware.

2:24 PM  
Blogger meggie said...

Great post. I am sure we all have an "inner Bart" regardless of what we call him/her/it!
I don't know if you have noticed, but some Surgeons, or other people in very high places, seem to let their Barts reign supreme!

3:03 PM  
Blogger laughingwolf said...

hahaha i let mine run rampant... in my bean!

5:52 PM  
Blogger heiresschild said...

would you believe i've never ever watched the simpsons?

8:18 PM  
Blogger Voyager said...

Dear Ian's Bart, Run amok! We love you.
V.

9:55 PM  
Blogger geewits said...

My inner Bart is not too far IN. Hell I even do that "Hah hah" laugh from the Simpsons when I feel particularly wicked. I always thought I was just very immature. Now I'll go with "I have a VERY STRONG" inner Bart Simpson.

11:59 PM  
Blogger Big Brother said...

We all need a little Bart in our lives, if not life would be so boringly bland. Where we must suppress the our little Bartman is when the urges end up hurting people. Thanks for the award Ian, greatly appreciated.

1:02 PM  
Blogger laughingwolf said...

wow! thanks ian... if only i knew what to do with it, since i'm mostly clueless beyond 'copy/paste'

but i can do that as a post

5:58 AM  
Blogger andrea said...

But what happens when your inner Bart is mostly on the outside? :) (Not naming names here.)

PS I pity Heiresschild. I know it's considered a coup amongst some people to not even have a TV, but to miss the (carefully veiled)philosophical and social classroom that is The Simpsons -- such a shame.

12:48 PM  
Blogger CS said...

I preder to have an nner Lisa Simpson. That is one tough little girl.

7:02 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home