Friday, September 28, 2007

The falling leaves drift past my window -- grimace

Winter is icumin in;
Lude sing “goddamn!”

-Ezra Pound

Well, it’s not quite winter yet, so pardon the hyperbole, but it is autumn and that can only lead to the winter of one’s discontent. I know fall has crept in on us because the Virginia creeper in the side garden is turning a flaming red. That is one of the very, very, very few nice things about fall. Since I don’t live in eastern Canada or New England, I must content myself with the creeper and the hue is very striking.

But, it’s fall, damnit. The whole thing started at the end of last week, and this morning – as wonderfully bright and sunny as it was – it almost felt like frost was in the air. That really sucks. I don’t like frost being in the air, or on the pumpkins or any of those other ‘fallish’ things. “These fallish things, remind me of you.” Sorry, I couldn’t resist that last line. Please disregard.

Every year about this time I have to face verbal onslaughts from autumn buffs that maintain, “It’s such a beautiful season!” Beautiful, be damned. It’s followed by winter. Winter is evil. It’s like having a relationship with a devastatingly attractive woman that you know is going to come to naught. The ride may be wonderful, but too soon it will end, and the horrors will begin. OK, maybe that’s a lame metaphor, but somehow it worked for me.

So, each year about this time, I try to think about the autumnal things I actually like.

I like:

- Pumpkin pie.
- The fragrance of burning leaves, but our town doesn’t permit home burning, so I’m screwed on that front.
- Curling up before the (indoor) fire
- Some entries in the new TV season, though not most.
- Very tiny munchkins in Halloween costumes, but nobody older than eight. Older, you’re just a greedy little ripoff artist. Oh, and it’s either full costume that shows genuine work and thought, or you’ll get nothing from me.

That’s about it. But, the many things I don’t like could possibly be sufficient to form the subject of my next book.

I primarily don’t like:

- Having to put the furnace on.
- Slippery streets in the morning.
- Rain, rain and more rain here on the wet west coast
- Rain combined with wind. A combo that can make me feel almost suicidal.
- Having to put on multi layers of clothing instead of shorts and T.
- Football. Not because it’s violent – I don’t frankly care what mayhem jocks want to perpetrate on each other – but because it’s boring. At least, to me it is.
- Winter sports: Cold and wet and hugely expensive. My idea of sport is snorkelling in an azure sea with a tropical sun beating down.
- The so-called ‘Holiday Season’. We have 12 months in the year, but for some reason everything is concentrated into 2 brief months duringthe dreariest time of year. Thus, we have to endure Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years. Or, for Jewish readers, feel free to include Chanukah in the mix.

There, that feels better, and may I share my fondest wish, and that is that somehow we miss winter entirely this year. I’d like autumn just fine if spring was the subsequent season.

Labels: ,

16 Comments:

Blogger laughingwolf said...

hahahahaha ...good points, but methinks the followers of kwanza and ramadan may be a tad miffed by the slight

i love it best after the first heavy frost kills off all the bloodsucking beasties!

yeah, winter sucks, big time, on this coast, too

but then, the price of being canuckistanian ;) lol

3:20 PM  
Blogger Janice Thomson said...

Gosh your creeper is gorgeous Ian. I'm one of those that really likes fall though I find it hard adjusting. I also like winter if it's in Alberta or somewhere where it's not wet wet wet! Every bone in the body tends to ache here when winter is on us. But it is milder, I'll give it that much.

3:55 PM  
Blogger thailandchani said...

I like fall.. but I'm totally with you on the holiday stuff. Sorry to say, it means nothing to me and the saturation begins to get on my final nerve around the beginning of December.

For me, spring has a similar implication as autumn does for you. I really can't stand summer.

:)



Peace,

~Chani
http://thailandgal.blogspot.com

5:21 PM  
Blogger heartinsanfrancisco said...

I grew up in a place with four distinct seasons, so Northern California, where there is no logical progression of seasons at all, seems odd and somewhat confusing to me.

I prefer to enjoy each for itself without sullying it with the one to come. I believe they call this "living in the present."

Our personal winter will come, too, but that is no reason not to enjoy the years before it, Ian.

8:49 PM  
Blogger Tanya Brown said...

Yep, I'm mostly with you. I find fall pleasant enough, but I could do without winter. I could also do without football, climbing up to clean out the gutters, having my backyard turn into a quagmire, and having the house get increasingly damp and cold. (What kind of idiots build a house without insulation, anyhow, even in northern California?)

I could also do without Christmas, except for the parts that involve cooking at watching questionable Christmas specials over and over.

8:57 PM  
Blogger Bibi said...

LOL, and I bet you say bah humbug at Xmas too! Glad you at least like pumpkin pie.;-)

10:32 PM  
Blogger Hermes said...

I do not miss the perpetual damp of Vancouver Island. Real winter is fun! Snow shoes, skidos, ice fishing, skating, wolves, cross country skis... the Elders tell me it will be an early and long, cold winter. Not wet at all. Before I really knew winter, I didn't know that we were meant to live in it.

12:03 AM  
Blogger beachgirl said...

Ian that creeper is gorgeous.
Now down here we don't get colors like that. We get blue skies, blue warm Atlantic Ocean, balmy breezes.
And lots and lots of Canadians running from your winter weather. I do believe I found your solution to the winter blahs.
Winter down here means it's dry, much cooler than 92 with 100% humidity. Day time is around 80 to mid 80's, 60's at night. And no humidity. My winter coat is a sweatshirt. Oh and ride time all day and night. All the motorcycles come out during the day again.

OK. I'll stop the torture. But your more than welcome to come join your fellow Canadians. They should be arriving next month for the first influx.

Have an awesome weekend.

5:24 AM  
Blogger Ellee Seymour said...

Our fall looks lovely here too, I love the changing seasons. You have some lovely colours still in your garden.

Thanks for your kind words on my post, btw.

7:58 AM  
Blogger Synchronicity said...

what a beautiful yard you have! so inviting! i am a big fan of autumn so i will probably only annoy you. spring is so rainy and summer is too damn hot and humid. fall for me has always signified a new start...perhaps because of school. i am an introvert and i like the idea of getting cozy and tucked away...and also hiding in big sweaters.

you have such a wonderful blog...it is a delight to come here and read your poetic words.

8:14 AM  
Blogger AlieMalie said...

ian ian ian,

i was there last week and let me tell you, the crispness in the air was absolutely delightful. i spent 14 hours a day outside so that i could absorb as much fall/autumn as humanly possible before coming back to texass and being assaulted by the 30C, 85% humidity we have at 2AM - STILL.

and the colours! i have never, in all my 25 years and numerous trips, i have never, ever, ever seen the trees turn. even vancouver had some of the red maples. was very awesome.

the offer still stands to switch places. :P

:)
AM

8:51 AM  
Blogger kimber said...

I"m afraid I must disagree -- I adore autumn, and since leaving the damp sooty loud traffic-filled mess that is winter in Vancouver, I don't mind winter, either. However, your metaphore of beautiful woman withering into something cold and dreadful made me laugh; very apt.

As winter is bound to arrive one way or another, I suspect that the only cure for you is a few months spent on a Tahitian beach until the whole winter fiasco blows over.

10:29 AM  
Blogger meggie said...

I just adore Autumn, here & in New Zealand's South Island. We dont always have wet winters here, so the wet is not a problem.
I feel Spring is much more fickle & spiteful here. I loathe the humid Summers, they just fry my brain! I guess a lot depends on where you live, as to which season will be your favourite.

1:09 PM  
Blogger jmb said...

"I’d like autumn just fine if spring was the subsequent season."

I couldn't agree more. I felt cold today and thought it's only September, all those months of feeling cold. We didn't even have a really great summer to remember although the Indian Summer was OK.

When I win the lottery I am going to follow Spring and summer around the world.
regards
jmb

10:52 PM  
Blogger heiresschild said...

ian, your garden is soooo beautiful. usually summer is my favorite season, but this year we had such a drought, and it was too hot and humid, so i have welcomed autumn with its cool breezes and beautiful colors on the trees. i love thanksgiving and pumpkin pie with cool whip. now winter is a whole other story, and one season i never look forward to. brrrrrr!

12:04 PM  
Blogger CS said...

I do like fall, except for knowing what's ahead. Don't like cold, dreary days. If it weren't for Christmas and skiing, I'd be in 100% agreement.

But, I've been trying to decide what vine to plant in front of my entryway on the trellis and I think Virginia Creeper might be perfect - I'd forgotten about the great red leaves, and it will be a reminder of my favorite bike trail.

9:30 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home