Friday, October 05, 2007

Another day in the life of the Twilight Zone -- or, we don't need no psychics, it's all physics

Last December 13th I wrote a blog that concerned my meeting with my former landlord in England, and how it came about that he had almost anticipated my arrival on his doorstep, despite how we hadn’t been in touch since 1981. The whole encounter was almost uncanny due to the premonitory aspect of it. If you are interested in reminding yourself of the tale, then check out the Dec. 13, 2006 blog on my history.

Yesterday I had another one of ‘those’ interludes in which I could virtually hear the Twilight Zone theme music in the background, with a voiceover by Rod Serling: “What you are about to experience …” Well, maybe that overdramatizes it just a bit.

There is a man whom I know. He’s quite an elderly man, in his 80s. How I know him is (and it’s curious where and how our relationships originate) is that he is the father of my ex-wife’s first husband. But, he is also my stepdaughter’s grandfather, so that was how I got to know him a number of years ago. He’s almost kin in a convoluted way. He’s a good guy, and even after Trudy and I split, we would run into each other, and always have a good conversation. He bore me no acrimony whatsoever. Quite the contrary, as a matter of fact, since Trudy had also dumped his only son.

Anyway, yesterday morning I was lying in bed debating whether I should get up, or just pull the covers over my head and say to hell with it all. During that time my mind suddenly (really quite suddenly) flashed to Bill (my friend’s name) and I idly thought how I hadn’t seen him for a long while, and I hoped he was OK. I mean, I used to regularly run into him, usually at our local supermarket, but there had been a long hiatus. Anyway, I thought little more about it, and got up. But, over coffee I still wondered why he had crossed my mind quite out of the blue.

Later in the morning I went to the market to pick up a couple of things, and as I rounded the corner from one of the aisles, there was Bill. I was almost flabbergasted.

I told him my tale of having thought about him earlier in the day, and there he was. I also told him I was concerned because I hadn’t seen him in a great while.

Turns out there was good reason we hadn’t crossed paths. He’d been in hospital for a grand total of nine months. He was suffering from a hideous infection in his foot and had literally been on a ruthless regime of antibiotics for all of those nine months. He thought he was going to die for much of the time, and his wife had resigned herself to that strong possibility. But, obviously, he transcended the illness and was looking relatively hale. He was thin, but looked and sounded OK.

We chatted for quite a time, and I expressed my concern for what he had been through. At the end of the conversation he said: “Thank you for caring, Ian. You’re a good man and a good friend.” I was, needless to say, touched.

I recounted the tale later to Wendy. She noted that I do have strong psychic tendencies, but she already knew that. Of course, I am a Pisces, too and they say Pisceans are psychic. I doubt that I believe that, but I do think such premonitory visitations are part of who we are as humans.

It’s all terribly scientific, Wendy asserted. She told me it was an aspect of quantum physics, and if I wanted I could also pull such notables as Karl Jung and Albert Einstein into the mix, because they believed in such things.

Wendy, who had studied QP years ago in college, told me how the submolecular structure of the world was constantly in motion, and that we humans, being part of that process, respond to things accordingly. Ever wonder why you’re sexually attracted to some people but not to others? Well, it’s all sub-cellular and you have no control over it. Not terribly romantic, but kind of kinky in its own way. “Baby, my cells are in flux when you walk by.”

“What happened,” she told me, “Is that there was movement in the universe and something in the structure had changed. You thought about Bill for a reason, I don’t know exactly what reason, and then it was almost inevitable you should meet. It was just like last year. You arrived in your old hometown, and that disrupted the normal sub-atomic flow of things. You were near at hand. That prompted your landlord to go and look at some papers he hadn’t pondered in years. He found your cartoons. It was virtually inevitable you should appear on the doorstep. You set the whole scenario in motion. You want validation? How many times has it happened to you that you walk into a room and somebody says, ‘speak of the devil’ or ‘we were just talking about you’ It’s not really so weird.”

That’s the trouble with scientific minds, they take so much of the mystery out of life. But, since she’s highly romantic in other areas, I love her dearly, regardless.

Have you had any psychic experiences? I, and other readers, would love to hear about them.

Labels: ,

14 Comments:

Blogger thailandchani said...

Yes, I do have those experiences... largely because I believe that the more we align ourselves with the group consciousness, the more we are able to tap into that knowledge.

We're all equally capable of it.

BTW, I meant to tell you this... the email address you have assigned to your blog is sending failure messages. :)


Peace,

~Chani
http://thailandgal.blogspot.com

9:26 AM  
Blogger Tai said...

I love quantum physics. I really do. Don't entirely understand it, but I love that it allows the 'im'possible to become possible, because it is so impossible.
(As if THAT made any sense!)

As for my experiences? Hmmmm, well, yes, but none quite as impressive as yours.
But it occurs often enough to take the 'coincidence' right out of it, doesn't it!

10:30 AM  
Blogger Dr. Deb said...

I have a scientific mind, BUT I very much believe there are things that cannot be explained by science. I have had a few esp-ish experiences that challenge logic. So, I'm with you on all that. Great stories, btw.

12:37 PM  
Blogger Eastcoastdweller said...

Wow.

Makes sense.

Maybe in some way helps to explain the negative energy, too, that supposedly creates ghosts.

12:40 PM  
Blogger AlieMalie said...

i'm not entirely sure instances such as the one you experienced yesterday are coincidences. i've had this happen a number of times in strange, strange places and at very odd times of the day. foreign countries too!

when we have one of those oh! moments, i think it's just us serendipitously tapping into a plane we don't normally access. or hell, paying attention to it for once.

i ran into my architecture professor from the US in Salisbury Cathedral mere seconds after regaling my boyfriend at the time the stories my prof had told us in class and how he said if there was one cathedral in the world we ever visited, to make sure it was Salisbury. when we ran into him as he was walking out, i'm sure i turned ghostly white and i know you could've knocked me over with a feather.

1:04 PM  
Blogger meggie said...

Too many to list. I find my daughter & I seem to have that connection, & will contact each other at the moment of thought.

1:26 PM  
Blogger laughingwolf said...

right up there with chaos and string theories, and 6-steps of separation

nice write....

4:05 PM  
Blogger Angela said...

“Baby, my cells are in flux when you walk by.”

I identified with this immediately since I'm someone who can not seem to begin to explain why I'm attracted to certain men and not others. There seems to be no rhyme or reason -- big ego? Hehehehe.

I believe that people are psychic. I believe that some people are more sensitive than others. I believe that the more sensitive ones tend to be more psychic. I also see too many truisms about astrology to ignore it, so it may very well be that you were born to have stronger psychic tendencies than the rest of us.

I can't remember a specific instance right off hand, but I know they've been there. Usually something like thinking that someone has called me, only to pick up the phone, realize they haven't and have the phone start ringing. Stuff like that.

I like Aliemalie's idea of just finally paying attention to what's sitting there right in front of us.

4:16 PM  
Blogger susank said...

Like Meggie, I can usually just "think" my daughter to call me if I really try!

The same thing goes with my sister, with whom I once had a really strange experience years ago. I was in need of a new dress for my father's wedding, so I ran to a mall after work and found myself in a dressing room, trying on what I thought would be "the one." Realizing it looked terrible, I opened my mouth to say "shit..." when I heard the very word being uttered by a girl in the booth next to me. I recognized the voice, called my sister's name, and we both stepped out into the hallway with the exact same shitty dress on! It was the weirdest thing and we still tell the story today!

5:10 PM  
Blogger Big Brother said...

Humm interesting. One year I was talking to one of my colleagues about how Mrs. BB and I were going to her class reunion from CEGEP (college between high school and university), my friend said so was she. Then she asked where, and I told her. Turns out she had been in the same class as my wife and knew her very well. We'd taught together for years and never known. The other was when a new teacher came to our school and in talking we discussed where our families came from. Turned out that we were related, her mother was my aunt's (by marriage) sister. Small world.

5:24 PM  
Blogger jmb said...

No psychic experiences at all I'm afraid and I didn't buy Wendy's explanation either. Sorry. But there are more things on heaven and earth Horatio etc.
Man you have to learn to link so we don't have to run around to look for that post. It's very simple. Email me if you want directions.
Expecting my failure email momentarily.

10:52 PM  
Blogger geewits said...

I did a post on my biggest supernatural experience and I thought you had read it, but I just checked and you didn't leave a comment, so it's here if you're interested:

http://geewits.blogspot.com/2007/05/by-request.html

11:23 PM  
Blogger Janice Thomson said...

Being a Pisces as well Ian I quite often have "those" experiences. Wendy is quite right scientifically speaking but there also needs to be added the metaphysical aspect of "mentalism". We do in fact "think" our experiences into manifestation. Unfortunately we only notice this when it comes to something like one of "those" experiences. Noticing this should lead us to the tremendous implications of the power of our thoughts - but we fail to make the connection.

8:58 AM  
Blogger Liz Dwyer said...

Definitely have had psychic experiences, everything from knowing who's calling on the phone (in the days before Caller ID) to knowing that I was about to get assaulted by someone on an El platform in Chicago.

The few times I haven't paid attention to the premonitions I've had that something bad was about to happen to me...well, once I got into a horrible car crash and then another time I got robbed at gunpoint.

4:30 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home