Thursday, October 04, 2007

Help me, Major Tom

I see, according to Google’s top o’ the page search icon, that today is the 50th anniversary of the launch of Sputnik, the Soviet satellite, and the first human crafted bit of junk in space. Wow, a half-a-century. And such changes have come about as a result. If it hadn’t been for the precedent set by Sputnik, I wouldn’t be writing this and sending it out to all of you.

1957 was a very long time ago. Let’s see what was what way back then. Khrushchev was the boss of the then Soviet Union; Eisenhower was US president, John Diefenbaker was Canadian PM, and Harold Macmillan was UK prime minister. George W. Bush was 11-years-old.

I don’t remember many changes in my life wrought by the successful launch of this thing. I recall standing outside at night to see if I might discern it among the stars. I was unsuccessful. I do remember the US was mightily pissed off that the rotten Russkie commies had beaten them to the punch, so I suppose, most significantly, the so-called ‘space race’ was on from that juncture. That Christmas my dad gave me an old outboard motor that he’d refurbished (he was ‘handy’, that guy) and painted on it was the name ‘Sputternik’ Handy and droll – sort of. I still have the outboard, by the way. I don’t think it’s been fired up since about 1962.

Despite all the excitement about space stuff, I never really much got caught up in it. It’s the sort of thing that is supposed to enchant a kid, but never much worked for me. I was always more interested in stuff here on earth – like dinosaurs, ancient history and, because puberty was afoot in all its wonders, girls. I still like dinosaurs, history and girls. Space? Not so much, and I have no deep-rooted explanation for that.

I remember at the time of the moonwalk in 1969 a whole bunch of people were gathered around our TV to experience that momentous occasion. I actually wasn’t. I went out fishing, instead. We lived on the water and salmon were running. See, down-to-earth stuff. I no longer fish, but I remain more interested in salmon (and their depletion as the result of our wasteful activities) than what is going on up there. Anyway, I heard about it later.

As a kid I was either highly non-geeky (I like to think that), or out of synch, but I was never very interested in science fiction. I read a few things by some of the better scribes in the genre, like Heinlein and Asimov, and always had a soft-spot for Ray Bradbury, but his stuff isn’t really sci-fi, it’s metaphorical morality tales.

I never really got into Star Trek, or Star Wars, and would only watch them as a diversion if nothing else was on. Just plain space shit bored me silly. If another element was added -- a human element – then I felt differently. I like the movie Aliens both for Sigourney Weaver’s C-cup Sigourney Weaverness, and the monster itself, which was protecting its young. See, a human element was added. I liked Close Encounters of the Third Kind, because it brought it all back to earth, as did Starman. Add some humor to these tales and I’m hooked, all the way from ET, to The Red Dwarf, to the sublime Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy and the sans pareil Dr. Who.

And, I cannot forget Bowie’s Space Oddity – “Calling Major Tom!”

Anyway, Sputnik, "so long, and thanks for all the fish."

Labels:

13 Comments:

Blogger Ellee Seymour said...

One of my regular blog readers believes the UK should be investing in European space travel, we are too over populated on earth. It could well happen one day.

1:27 PM  
Blogger meggie said...

I never really got excited about the space race thing, either. Perhaps because I am a female, & they didn't figure in it, at that early stage.
I am too much of a realist I suspect, & never got excited about film stars or pop singers for the same reason- I was unlikely to ever meet them, so why bother to 'moon' over them. sorry about the pun.

3:04 PM  
Blogger Angela said...

I wish we would take all the money we spend on space exploration and feed the kids who are hungry and give them the medical attention they need. That's what I wish. Oh, and sports. I don't like sports. Space is cool, but sports could stop existing and I wouldn't even notice.

5:00 PM  
Blogger Hermes said...

You are a sci-fi fan. Like any genre, most of it is stupid. But good science fiction takes one aspect of our society and extrapolates it - blows it up for us to examine to its logical conclusion. Some of the best have nothing to do with space. Take Huxley's Brave New World. Not a spacecraft in it.
Check out Outland with Sean Connery. Its a great western story with the "new marshal in town". But it takes place in space. It's brilliant. Happy Sputnik day!

7:31 PM  
Blogger Bibi said...

I loved Bowie's "Major Tom" ... but I'm not into space books or movies, although I did like Total Recall. I guess that was more futurist than space-related. My mother made me watch the moon walk because it was 'historical'.

When the original Dr. Who was aired with William Hartnell, my brother, sister and I would all hide behind the sofa when the daleks came on because we were so afraid. Last year I watched one of those episodes and it was hysterical! The 'monster' was a broom head, pulled along by invisible wire, lol.

8:27 PM  
Blogger Tai said...

Do you know that Richard Dawkins and Douglas Adams ("Don't forget your towel.") were tremendously good friends?

AND! I've never seen "Aliens". Guess I should, huh?

8:50 PM  
Blogger jmb said...

Well I stood outside in 1957 and looked up at Sputnik and was truly amazed. I consider it one of the most memorable things in my time, better even than walking on the moon because it was the first.
No to Star Trek, science fiction, all those other things you mention except yes to Ground control to Major Tom, because I love David Bowie.

11:05 PM  
Blogger geewits said...

I love space stuff AND science fiction but I always thought Heinlein was terribly overrated. All of the characters in Stranger in a Strange Land, including aliens or robots or whatever spoke in the same voice. I found that terrible like reading an Archie comic. But wait, even Jughead and Archie spoke in different voices. I digress, I love space stuff and there is one particular picture, one of the Hubble Deep Field pictures that I can look at for hours. Everything about it is fascinating. But then, I've never fished.

11:44 PM  
Blogger Casdok said...

Happy Sputnik day!
I love anything to do with space!

3:17 AM  
Blogger Eastcoastdweller said...

Not space, but the stuff in it, truly interests me. (o:

3:39 AM  
Blogger laughingwolf said...

50 years on ol sputnik; 40 on the shag harbor, nova scotia, incident

funny that...

but yeah, 'speculative fiction' with a human element is always preferable

4:47 AM  
Blogger thailandchani said...

I'm only interested in space as far as the possibility of life in other places. Beyond that, as a political or competitive tool between countries, it can't even hit my radar screen.

Sports? Yuck! :)


Peace,

~Chani
http://thailandgal.blogspot.com

8:56 AM  
Blogger laughingwolf said...

rats!!! yesterday was also the 50th anniversary of the canadian super jet: the avro arrow! mea maxima culpa! :(

3:55 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home