Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Maybe not tasteful, but tasty nevertheless



Nanaimo is a city about 65 miles north of Victoria, and about equidistant south of Comox, where I normally live. It’s a former coal-mining town with an area population of about 150,000. Coal is long gone, but it’s a prosperous place and in recent years has spruced itself up considerably, and even impressively. It is now a significant seaport (and is much closer to Vancouver than is self-impressed Victoria), shipping centre, manufacturing and distribution centre, and has even invited a fair amount of high-tech, especially thanks to the presence of Malaspina University-College in the place.

OK, enough with the tourism travelogue. Nanaimo (pronounced ‘Nah-nie-moe’, by the way), perhaps more notably, has three other claims to fame, and they are worthy of mention. They are: Mallrats, The Full Nanaimo, and Nanaimo Bars. Let us consider these because they give evidence to a fame that vastly exceeds the limits of a relatively minor city in the Northwest.

Mall Rats: Studies show that Nanaimo has more per-capita mall space than not only any city in Canada, or even North America, but in the world! While these aren’t necessarily the biggest malls, and some are just sleazy, greasy little strip malls, but the number of them boggles the mind. And, the larger malls are actually even impressive by big city standards, and boast the same ‘name’ stores that can be found all over the world. In other words, they are sheer heaven for teenage girls and food-fair aficionados.

The Full Nanaimo: This was a term created by Canadian satirist and political commentator Alan Fotheringham a number of years ago. It refers to a certain sartorial style that he felt befitted a community that wasn’t necessarily known for epitomizing all that was tasteful and charming in male garb. Everybody remembers the style (if it can be called that) but perhaps fewer of you knew that it had a name. The true FN consisted of a dark shirt (blue or brown, generally), horribly patterned double-knit trousers, a sort of pastel-ish pale blue or beige jacket with very, very wide lapels (also synthetic, of course) and topped off with white necktie, white belt, and white shoes (all of them plastic but the tie). With such duds in place, young Mr. Nanaimo and his equivalents continent-wide were set to take on the world. Indeed, the ensemble could also be topped off with a permed haircut. Ah, in wistful recollection I can feel my gorge rise.

There was also a ‘formal’ representation of the FN and that was used by grooms at their weddings. That was the FN tux, basically a pastel-colored abomination that was accented with a ruffled shirt (a la Seinfeld) and an outsize bowtie designed to match the color theme of the ensemble. Men of a certain age may have photos of themselves in FN tux (muttonchop sideburns added to the total ‘look’ by the way) taken at their own weddings. My advice: burn them before the kids see them or you will never be entitled to have an opinion about anything ever again.

The Nanaimo Bar: The Nanaimo Bar is a confection. Sort of a diabetic sugar overload of rich chocolate and rich vanilla all coating a wafer of some sort. I cannot speak with authority on the Nanaimo Bar because, quite frankly, I’ve never eaten one. Nor have I ever wanted to. My teeth begin to hurt and I feel incipient insulin shock welling up just by looking at them.

Yet, they are immensely popular. Wendy, who used to run her own catering business about 20 years ago, said that Nanaimo Bars (along with deviled eggs) were scarfed up like gold coins at a wedding or other social function.

When we lived in England a number of years ago, my ex wife was having some neighbor ladies in for tea one afternoon, She decided to make Nanaimo Bars. Well, to say they were a huge hit would be to state the case lightly. These otherwise sedate matrons were virtually having orgasms over the things. And, virtually every one of them demanded my wife’s recipe so they could make them, too. She obliged, since it’s no secret, and if you are curious, you can find recipes galore on the Internet.

Bon appetit, and think of Nanaimo as you feel your waistlines and hips expanding.

Labels:

16 Comments:

Blogger Big Brother said...

Being the closest thing to a non cook that there is, it's my kids who were the purveyors of Nanaimo bars. Insulin shock it is, but for those of us with a sweet tooth almost irresistible.

10:36 AM  
Blogger Janice Thomson said...

That's the first thing that shocked me (even having lived in Calgary for most of my youth) when I first seen Nanaimo too was how many malls there were - on any given corner of a main street was a mall. I guess the favorite pastime for Nanaimo residents is shopping otherwise how the heck do they all stay in business?
I have to say I LOVE Nanaimo Bars but only the homemade ones mother used to bake at Christmas. I've never tasted any since that were that good and hence have not had any for some years now.
Ah yes the FN - well I think my Dad fits in that category quite well. He sometimes wears the most atrocious outfits but hey he's Dad and I love him.

12:01 PM  
Blogger Eastcoastdweller said...

Ian, may I link your blog on Isis? I think I've asked before on your blog but I've lost track of whether you answered or not.

I have a wretched memory.

12:43 PM  
Blogger Ian Lidster said...

East coast dweller: Yes, you may certainly link my blog.

12:51 PM  
Blogger Ellee Seymour said...

I think I would risk my waist line for one of these, they sound delicious.

1:07 PM  
Blogger laughingwolf said...

hahahahaha [on the mall rats and fn stories]

oh yeah, i was seduced by the nanaimo bar my first day at ndu, homemade by a gal pal's mom... like janice sez, the commercial ones don't cut it

3:36 PM  
Blogger Tanya Brown said...

This is how messed up my brain is today: I looked at your photo, which is obviously of a marvelous chocolate concoction, and my brain superimposed hillsides and started looking for coal mines.

Perhaps I'd better whip up a batch of Nanaimo bars posthaste?

4:19 PM  
Blogger meggie said...

It all looks er...sickly to me!
Great post though. I love the described clothing. I recall those hideous clothes.
My brother once set a jacket on fire, & it looked like the opening scene from Bonanza. ( someone else was wearing the jacket at the time)

4:33 PM  
Blogger Hermes said...

Ah, Nanaimo. Not to mention an organized criminal's daydream of a shipping centre. I know an RCMP member who worked narcotics there. It scary is downright scary how much illegal product goes through there.

6:28 PM  
Blogger jmb said...

I don't care for many sweets but I do like a Nanaimo bar maybe once a year, max.
Doesn't that picture of the guy in the tux take you back. The seventies were a terrible era for clothes and hairdos and lots of other things too.

7:34 PM  
Blogger noneofyourbusiness said...

Oh Ian! I'm seeing that lovely post of yours on the same day I agreed to begin a diet! Fie! ;o)

I'm still going to get the recipe though ... *shhhh!* ... don't tell!

7:49 PM  
Blogger Voyager said...

We call Nanaimo "Surrey-by-the-sea". 'Nuff said. And those disgusting bars do nothing to help the image. But my Dad loves them.
V.

11:25 PM  
Blogger Casdok said...

Ive put on a couple of pounds just reading that!

1:24 AM  
Blogger Liz Dwyer said...

Those bars look so much better than the mini Snickers bars my husband has in the kitchen.

I'd look up the recipe, but since I don't really cook desserts, I guess my waist will be grateful.

8:52 AM  
Blogger heartinsanfrancisco said...

Close your eyes and think of Nanaimo, huh?

7:30 PM  
Blogger Jazz said...

Nanaimo bars. Oh my. How I love me Nanaimo bars...

1:15 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home