Thursday, October 11, 2007

Monty's Jade will go on, and on, and on, and on


The other day I was vacuuming (as opposed to having sex, in case you were wondering, because you know you can’t do both) when I knocked over Monty’s Jade Plant while in the process of moving the dreadful thing. I got jade plant bits and potting soil all over the place. But, I cleaned it up. I did, however, think this was a good excuse to be rid of the goddamn thing forever.

OK – why ‘Monty’s’ Jade plant, I am sure you are all asking? Well, it came about a few years go when I was running the rehab I’ve told you about. One afternoon at the end of the day, the cook came out and pointed to the top of the refrigerator and said, in her own inimitable way, distilled (no pun intended) from serving grub to junkies and alcoholics for years: “Why don’t you take that fucking thing home with you?” She was pointing at a bedraggled looking jade plant that was sitting on the fridge top. It was dusty, cobweb festooned, and just generally wretched. “I don’t think it’s been watered in a year,” she continued. “I was hoping that would kill it, but it doesn’t seem to have worked.”

She told me the plant was given to Monty -- one of my predecessors as administrator -- by a client.

“The client must have really hated him,” I opined.

You see, at this point I must say that, as a lover of all things green and bountiful, I have an almost singular detestation for jade plants. I find them ugly, spongy, and uninspiring. 'Succulent's is a word I find rather sensual, but not when it's applied to a certain type of plant -- like jade. I do not want a jade in my house.

But, as an afficionado of herbal stuff in general, I didn’t like the idea of the plant suffering; being slowly murdered, so I acceded to the cook’s request. Maybe Wendy might like it, I thought. I didn’t know if it would change my feelings about Wendy if she did actually like it, but I was prepared to find out.

Now, I must point out that while this plant had been sort of maimed and mutilated, it was also rather huge, and sat in a pot that seemed to weigh about 75-pounds. But, I got it in the trunk of my car, and home it went with me.

I cannot say that Wendy was enchanted when she saw it, but she felt it might be ‘ressurectable’. Worse luck, it was. So, we’ve had it kicking around for about five years now. In the winter it gets to stay indoors, cluttering up the front window, and in summer it goes on the patio. It seems to like that fresh air. It’s green and lustrous, but still a jade plant. When Wendy took the job in Victoria about a year ago, and we needed to set up part-time digs in an apartment, I suggested she take the Monty Jade with her, just as a reminder of home. She agreed she would, and in Victoria the thing has prospered even more. It’s larger and healthier than it ever was.

The real Monty died a few months ago, which was sad, as he was a nice guy, but I think this gave the jade a stronger grip on survival, as a kind of commemorative thing. On Monty’s death it sprouted a lot of new growth.

And then there was my incident (I think it was an accident) of a couple of days ago. But, the Monty Jade was unfazed. I think it’s laughing at me and saying, “You won’t get rid of me that easily, buddy. Monty’s gone, but I’m doing better than ever. Maybe I’m telling you something.”

Labels: , ,

17 Comments:

Blogger Casdok said...

Why cant you do both??? (But then again why would you want to!!!)

10:41 AM  
Blogger Tai said...

It seems the plants that you like that least are the ones that survive the best.
The ones you love are always the ones hardest to hold on to. Hmmm...there may be something to that. But I'm not sure what.

10:45 AM  
Blogger Ian Lidster said...

Casdok: Well, at least not at the same time, I don't think. Though, you may be on to something. You try and let me know if it works.

Tai: It was ever thus, wasn't it? Three years ago I finally succeeded in growing a wonderful blue poppy, and they are supposed to be perennials. It lasted for one season only, despite the wonderful care I gave it.Maybe I should have abused it.

10:50 AM  
Blogger Casdok said...

Will do. But only if you try some of the head gear from my blog!

11:07 AM  
Blogger Angela said...

Awwww, but he looks so sweet in that picture.

I went and watched "Little Shop of Horrors" a couple of weeks ago and your story seems to have many parallels. Best of luck with whatever you decide to do.

12:45 PM  
Blogger andrea said...

Who told you you can't have sex while vacuuming? (D'oh! I think Casdock beat me to it!)

12:45 PM  
Blogger meggie said...

I have a dislike of Jade plants too. I have been told they bring good luck, so every garden needs one. I am quite content to just see the neighbour's over the fence.

1:13 PM  
Blogger Voyager said...

I don't buy your first premise that you can't vacuum and have sex at the same time. In fact, you could do both, under the jade plant for shade. Dare ya.
V.

6:11 PM  
Blogger Big Brother said...

You should sent it to me for a while... I've got a grey thumb, I've even been known to kill plastic plants. ;oP

7:15 PM  
Blogger heartinsanfrancisco said...

"I think this gave the jade a stronger grip on survival, as a kind of commemorative thing."

This is a brilliant line.

I agree that it is unconscionable to let a living thing die and have also rescued many plants (and animals. Sometimes it's hard to tell the difference.)

I think your jade plant has attained the status of a true surviver and deserves accolades and maybe a ticker tape parade with floats bearing dancers wearing seven veils.

See what you can do, okay?

7:27 PM  
Blogger Bibi said...

... and life goes on. Which is just as well, 'cos isn't that also called a money plant? And it's bad luck if they die.

Ok, I don't 'really' believe that ...

7:58 PM  
Blogger jmb said...

Ian I have never liked them either but they do seem to be indestructible.
It seems to me that you have to keep it anyway. It is now your responsibility and it likes you else why would it thrive despite your dislike and ill treatment, although accidental.
Methinks, you should make arrangements for it in your will.
regards
jmb

8:43 PM  
Blogger geewits said...

That's amazing. I'm not good with succulents myself. It would surely die here.

10:43 PM  
Blogger laughingwolf said...

anything that persistent needs to survive, even if only as a new planting in a tiny pot [no, not the 'i never inhaled' kind]

it may not be pretty, but few of us are ;) lol

5:52 AM  
Blogger Ellee Seymour said...

That's quite a jaw dropping intro - and a personal challenge! ;-)

8:42 AM  
Blogger Janice Thomson said...

I laughed so hard when reading this Ian - my room mate had a huge huge Jade plant that was a real bother to move and when she left I agreed to keep it. About 6 years later there was a huge storm in Parksville where I lived for a few years and the jade ended up falling off its table and broke into many pieces. Although I felt bad I also was glad to not have to haul the thing around anymore. Like you jades are not one of my favorite plants.

3:24 PM  
Blogger Jazz said...

A friend gave me one of those last spring, saying they're virtually unkillable. I managed to kill it in about 4 months...

1:14 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home