Wednesday, November 07, 2007

The sounds of -- noise


I sit here at my laptop on this dull and rainy Wednesday morning in November and I write this blog – in lieu of a significant feature piece I am supposed to be writing, and will get to later, I promise – and I ‘listen’ to the world around me. It’s noisy. There is always noise. There is never, it seems, utter silence.

The closest I’ve come to utter silence in recent months was when we were staying in a little cottage by a little stream in highly isolated Fort Klamath, Oregon in September. I lay in bed and marvelled at how the place was so silent. No traffic noise, no people noise, the odd bleating cow, since this was cattle country, but that wasn’t disruptive. However, it was a full-moon night, and suddenly, slicing the night, was a canine wailing. Wolves? Coyotes? One or the other. Actually, it was chillingly cool. Cool, because it wasn’t a human-engineered noise. It was nature in the raw primordial.

Back to my current time and space. What I hear is the fridge in the kitchen, the quiet hum of my laptop, and an irritating buzzing by the telephone answering machine sitting nearby. On the street there is a lot of traffic noise at this time of day. It should be a quiet suburban street, but unfortunately it connects to two major thoroughfares, so everybody uses it as a rat-run. This is to my exasperation, despite the fact I use it for the same thing myself.

There is much to-do these days about various forms of pollution, such as the obvious atmospheric variety, as well as ‘light’ pollution and, in the case of my rant today, ‘noise’ pollution. I think ubiquitous noise gets me down more than any of the other kinds. I find I’ve become more sensitized to the jarring effects of any uninvited noise as time has gone on, and it pisses me off because I can do nothing about most of it.

I try to keep the noise around me at a minimal level, especially when I am working, or procrastinating from working (my two main activities). So, during the day there is absolutely no TV on, no radio, no CDs. Nothing. I love music and will often play it in the evenings, and in my car. But not in the house. Not during the day.

Sometimes, however, you cannot escape it. In my town some bonehead in city hall once decided that music should follow us wherever we go. Ubiquitous sounds of stuff I do not want to hear permeate the streetcorner when I’m waiting for a light to change. They’ve already started playing %$#%$^ ‘seasonal’ (can’t say Christmas any longer for the sake of the sensitivities of non-Christians; as if Christmas in its current incarnation had anything whatsoever to do with Christianity) music. Someday I’m going to find that %$#@* Little Drummer Boy and take him far out in the forest and leave him there for those aforementioned wolves to deal with.

When noise is especially galling for me is at night, when I am trying to sleep. Then, I want to hear nothing. Absolutely nothing. It’s a time for rest for me at all levels.

My diatribe has nothing to do with sounds, per se. There are sounds I like thoroughly. The sounds of beautiful music (under my control) invariably enchant; the sounds of children’s laughter, the purring of a cat, the crackle of a fireplace, the babbling of a stream, the roar of the surf, the clickety-clack of a train, the rumble of a big (environment lacerating) engine, the rhythm of the falling rain, and much more.

But, these are the noises (as opposed to sounds) that I loathe:

- Sirens: This especially applies to sirens in the night. You know when you hear a siren, police, ambulance or fire truck that something bad has happened to somebody.

- Piped music: This is imposed on us and it’s a violation. If you need music wherever you go (for some bizarre reason), then listen to your damn I-pod and don’t interfere with my peace.

- Loud vehicular speakers: I can ‘feel’ the booming four blocks away. And then the weasely little dropout in his inch-off-the-ground Civic with huge wheels cruises by -- Yes, there is good money in selling dope – and when he reaches my house the cacophony is brain-frying in intensity (not something the driver has to worry about). The mitigating factor with this one is that his ears will be shot by age 30. I like that.

- Harsh words: The sounds of fighting are hideous. I heard enough of it in my parental home, so if I hear it through the paper-thin walls of a hotel or motel room, it chills me.

- Sex: I love sex, but I don’t want to hear the moans and groans and climactic squeals of ecstasy from others, through that same paper-thin motel room wall. If I’m not part of what is going on, I don’t want to hear it.

- Barking dogs: A dog that barketh at midnight hath a master who beith a moron. And, of course, if a dog barks and then stops, you lie in bed waiting for him to start again.

- White noise: This is the age of white noise, and I go back to my original premise which suggested that even if we think our world is silent, it is not. You come to appreciate that reality if there is an unexpected power outage that shuts everything off.

So, I’ve given you mine. What are the noises that you especially hate?

- .

Labels: , ,

20 Comments:

Blogger thailandchani said...

The thumping music from people's vehicles or even coming from their houses is definitely Number One on my list. There are times I think homicide should be a viable response.

Although I am a very peaceful person, I fantasize about getting a sniper rifle and setting it up on my front patio. One of those idiots drives by and *BOOM*.

Clean out the gene pool.

Gee, this was unusually mean spirited of me.. but I am environmentally sensitive.. can't stand bright light and loud noise.

(Wondering if I should even publish this comment.. :)

9:49 AM  
Blogger Tanya Brown said...

Criminy, Ian, I hate pretty much all of the noises you listed and then some. I hate hearing the neighbors' phones ring, the sounds of their small runny-nosed spawn shrieking (even though our own shrieks louder) and one set of neighbors' organ-playing and off-key singing on Sunday mornings.

Something I do like, though, is the Prius we drive. With the fans off and when the engine is off, there's just the quiet whoosh of the air outside streaming by the car. It's a remarkably peaceful experience, and one I highly recommend.

11:06 AM  
Blogger Jazz said...

The ventilation right next to me in the office. I usually don't really hear it all that much until it stops. Then? Blessed peace.

Children shrieking (not we're having fun shreiking, that's ok the tantrum kind of shrieking), it's like nails on a blackboard. Children shrieking in a resturant other than McDonalds and its ilk - well, they deserve a fate worse than death)

Musac drives me insane.

The noise of someone walking in heels over my head.

Inane chattering near my desk when I'm trying to work.

Cars with faulty mufflers

TVs playing too loud

All of yours...

Oh god, I should be deaf. I'm an equal opportunity noise hater.

11:43 AM  
Blogger meggie said...

Hate all the noises mentioned by you Ian. The more I think about it, the more I realise I should be deaf too, like Jazz.
I hate squealing children! makes my blood run cold, in supermarkets malls.
I loathe the neighbour's bloody backyard workshop, with compressor, & buzz saws. I mutter darkly about had I want to live in an industrial estate, I would!
Dont get me started on duff-duff car music, for the braindead, the motorbikes for deadheads, the hyped-up motors of hideous cars for testosterone riddled, limp dicked young males- yes I know that seems a little contradictory.I hate the shrieking sirens when those same males smash themselves to smithereens doing 120kmh in our suburban streets, killing their passengers along with themselves.
Kids who whine & nag in endless loops, in public places, while their parents seem to have cloth ears!!

I also hate the screech of the shrill cacophanous, verminous Mynah birds here. They are killing all the native birds.

I apologise for the lengthy venting!!

12:04 PM  
Blogger Ian Lidster said...

Great ones from all of you and I am going to add all of yours to my list of enraging noises.

A number of you mentioned shrieking brats. Yes, I'd forgotten that one. Pierces right through to the soul.

And Meggie, regarding your "limp dicked" testosterone driven males. We have a saying in these parts -- the bigger the pickup truck, the smaller the dick.

Regarding mynahs. Do you know that on Rarotonga the wretched tings have wiped out virtually all the native birds on the island. It's quite tragic. They try to do the same on Hawaii, but they're outnumbered by other aggressive birds, blessedly.

12:50 PM  
Blogger laughingwolf said...

all of those listed by you and others, but i'm surprised no one mentioned the dumb fucks yelling into their cell/yell phones, all over the damn place! grrrrrrrrrr

of course, whatever vile noise they have as 'ring tones' are right up there, too!

3:14 PM  
Blogger Big Brother said...

I realize how much noise there is in our world when I am trekking in the mountains, above the tree line, far far from civilization and there is no noise, a complete and utter lack of sound. The silence is almost physical in its intensity... sometimes I'll just sit there and listen to the sounds of silence and it is a balm for the soul.

5:53 PM  
Blogger Hermes said...

Often, the sound of children laughing means that one of them has bumped their noggin and the rest of them are pointing and laughing. In my world, children laughing in groups is often a sign of then need for an intervention.

Having said that, it is really quiet out here. I took up amateur stargazing last year (though I don't seem to do it enough). Right outside my house and no light pollution, no noise, just wind, trees and, yes, occasional wolves.

7:24 PM  
Blogger Voyager said...

I agree with your hated noises. But the worst one of all is my neighbour who is learning (and not very well) to play bagpipes. Our summer evenings on the deck are ruined by this wanna be piper.
V.

8:32 PM  
Blogger jmb said...

"Background" music in restaurants that is so loud you have to shout at your dining companions.

Definitely people talking loudly on cell phones in stores or anywhere frankly.

Good rant Ian, on behalf of us all.

8:54 PM  
Blogger geewits said...

My husband has tinnitus and has to sleep with a small fan whirring next to the bed. While I have finally adjusted (it's been 12 years, after all) to going to sleep to it (and the drinking beer all day probably helps) I really hate waking up to it. He has finally started turning it off when he gets up, but sometimes he forgets. To me it sounds like a jet engine. Sometimes I just want pure quiet, but it's hard to find.

11:17 PM  
Blogger Tai said...

"I’m going to find that %$#@* Little Drummer Boy and take him far out in the forest and leave him there for those aforementioned wolves to deal with."
That made me LAUGH and LAUGH!!

I really really enjoy no sound. I think you named all the noise I hate...except for the sound of someone bragging about how great/cool/smart they are. That really gets on my nerves.

8:18 AM  
Blogger Casdok said...

The sound of my son headbanging.

9:40 AM  
Blogger Synchronicity said...

what a great post! yes it seems that night magnifies irritating noises. i have always lived near trains it seems. the one which runs by my house is so darn loud. and i have lived near loud churches as well...with all the church bells going off. fireworks were annoying when i lived in the city. and neighbors having constant parties on their deck...argh!

it truly is difficult to find peace and quiet anymore.

11:34 AM  
Blogger Rositta said...

First time visitor to your blog and had to comment. If you think the noise is bad here, try Greece sometime. I needed earplugs most of the time. Loud vehicles always, barking dogs 24/7, screeching child constantly including my own 4 yr old nephew, boy did he know how to screech. I understand perfectly, I absolutely hate noise also but there isn't a lot we can do about it...ciao

12:28 PM  
Blogger CS said...

All these bother me excpt white noise - I use a white noise machine at night to block out other sounds. But I would add hearing other people's TVs. God, that galls me.

5:18 PM  
Blogger CS said...

Oh, and hearing someone threaten or hit their kid.

5:18 PM  
Blogger Janice Thomson said...

You're right on the money with all these Ian. Little girls shrieking literally puts my hair on end too.
When Victoria had that huge snow storm a few years back I remember how wonderfully peaceful and quiet it was for a whole week on Pandora where I lived.

6:06 PM  
Blogger riseoutofme said...

All of your list Ian!! And then some! But I think screaming, offensive kids is tops.

Bring back the Village Stocks.

12:44 AM  
Blogger riseoutofme said...

By the way, love the label ... "carnky"! Very descriptive!

12:46 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home