Friday, November 09, 2007

Too easy to forget


The mud, blood and filth of Passchendaele in 1917


"...I died in Hell(they called it Passchendaele)


my wound was slightand I was hobbling back;


and then a shellburst slick upon the duckboards;


so I fellinto the bottomless mud, and lost the light"


. . . Siegfried Sassoon


Almost exactly a year ago we rolled into the railway station in Lille, France, to change trains so we could continue on our way to Brussels. As we pulled away from the station the pastoral beauty of the peaceful and bucolic countryside struck me.

Ironically, this journey took place on November 12th. That is the day after November 11th, which isn’t a silly statement at all, because November 11th is in Canada and the Commonwealth, Remembrance Day. I believe it is called Veterans’ Day in the US. Names don’t matter, but events do.

What I found almost unforgivable in myself was that as I was luxuriating in the comfort of our sleek Eurostar train – the same one that whisks passengers to London via the Chunnel, or Paris, if you’re going the other way – is that I was on charged ground. For, just a few miles to the north of this farm country, in the direction of Calais, lay the etched forever in time, horrors of Passchendaele. Passchendaele which, in a scant four months in 1917 in order to gain two paltry kilometres of German held turf half a million Commonwealth soldiers died. Of those 500,000, 17,000 were Canadian boys. Indeed, in the first day of Canadian involvement, 2,500 kids from Vancouver, Toronto, and Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan paid with their lives.

So, here I am, sitting in a sleek train, enjoying my European tour, and I’m not cognizant of an earlier trip to the same bit of sod. I have a degree in European history. I chastise myself for my obliviousness.

Over the years I have written innumerable pieces on Remembrance Day and its meaning. When I began as a journalist, in the late 1970s, there remained a goodly number of World War One vets in our town. They’re all gone, and the numbers from World War Two, and even Korea are diminishing. “Gone off to join their comrades,” the old vets are fond of saying.

There is, of course, a certain falsehood in my writing such musings (one is in our local paper today, and it concerns a young man who died at the aforementioned Passchendaele – he was 19) and that is based on the fact that I, blessedly, have never been in combat.

I am happy I have never been in combat, but I can’t help wondering what it must be like. I can’t help wondering about the guys who hit the beach at Normandy in 1944 knowing their life expectancy was maybe 15-minutes, or less. How do you resolve that in your fear-ridden mind? Do you just say, “Oh, what the fuck – let’s go?” Or do you live on the expectation that you will be one of the charmed, one of the survivors? After all, despite the immoral toll on young lives, more survived than didn’t. Survived after a fashion, at least.

Today we have young men and women in Afghanistan. Young men and women in Iraq. Some of them won’t be coming back.

Spare them a thought on November 11th.


Labels:

11 Comments:

Blogger Jazz said...

I think you do live in the expectation of being one of the survivors in such a situation. Any other mindset is, well, unlivable.

11:35 AM  
Blogger Tanya Brown said...

I haven't a blessed idea how one faces a situation which is very likely to be lethal and, like you, I'm glad I've never served in combat.

I shall indeed spare a thought for those overseas, both the soldiers and those locals who are innocent bystanders.

3:29 PM  
Blogger meggie said...

My father was one who 'survived after a fashion'. When he returned from the war, he was never the same person, & my uncles were less healthy than they should have been. My Aunt had 4 miscarriages, now known to be a direct result of my Uncle having been in Prison camp.
Indeed, Lest We Forget.

I am so glad no child of mine has had to serve in a war. I feel for the parents whose children do.

5:10 PM  
Blogger jmb said...

I'm sure this piece is as good as any of the others you wrote Ian.
Every war is a tragedy but somehow the First World War still stands are one of the most horrific.

5:29 PM  
Blogger heartinsanfrancisco said...

I never see poppies, which grow wild and profusely here in California, without thinking of the poem "In Flanders Fields" by Lieutenant John McCrae of the Canadian Army.

I think I understand your feelings of guilt as I once stood outside a building in Charleston, SC, near the water, where slaves were once auctioned off.

The heavy energy from that building was so intense that I could not enter, nor did I want to, and it seemed obscene that I or anyone should be standing at the site of so much pain while I have known only freedom.

6:18 PM  
Blogger Janice Thomson said...

Good post Ian on remembering our troops. Although more people are surviving the wars of today they are surviving with a great many brain injuries that will require life-long treatment. Most are having to learn to adjust to memory loss, learn how to walk and drive and do daily things like learning how to eat again. In other wars these injuries would have been fatal. So yes let us remember those that have fallen and those too who now have to accept their new self.

6:55 PM  
Blogger Hermes said...

As long as there are people that imagine what it must be like, and wonder how to do it, all is not lost.
I've had bullets accidentally whiz by because a platoon on exercise didn't know where they were. Not comparable to real combat, I know, but it's amazing how your perspective changes.

8:47 PM  
Blogger kimber said...

I will forever regret driving by the turn-off to Juno Beach, and not visiting that site to give my gratitude and prayers to the soldiers who died there. Thank you, Ian, for your poignant reminder of the importance of remembering.

12:21 AM  
Blogger geewits said...

Some come back okay and some do not (come back not okay I mean - and I have personally known both kinds from WWII and Vietnam). I will put my flag out on Sunday. I thought about that a couple of days ago. I'm lucky and can never forget Veteran's Day because it is my step-dad's birthday.

This is for Jazz: You should watch "Band of Brothers." It is a WWII miniseries based on actual events and real people and one of the guys says something like "You have to come in here knowing you are going to die." He became a huge hero, practically a legend and lived, but it was his thought process - that he would die - that got him there.

12:44 AM  
Blogger Naomi said...

Fabulously written. I love your style and heart.

6:30 AM  
Blogger laughingwolf said...

because my parents came to canada, i was spared combat, unlike my american friends... but we lost many relatives in both 'world wars'... dad survived, thankfully

3:24 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home