Monday, November 19, 2007

Sing a song of redheads

“So you – my friend – are going away -- for a very long time. Remember – we never – ever – sleep!”

This is stated to the apprehended sleazy Colombian crime-lord and is punctuated with the mandatory removal of the sunglasses by the utterer. It all takes place right out there in the steamy and torrid Miami sun, with all those stunningly pretty art deco buildings in the background and the azure sea beyond. The world is a little bit safer because Horatio Caine has bagged big game.

Yes, excruciatingly mannered Horatio Caine – is this a Biblical metaphor, you know, considering that Horatio has a missing/dead brother? – as played by the inimitable David Caruso on CSI Miami.

My brother is one of the nine people who watches CSI New York, mainly because he detests the ‘excruciatingly mannered David Caruso.’ I don’t. It’s the mannerisms and the voice that so rarely rises in cadence that make it work for me. This is a cop I could trust.

We both agree that the original CSI, the Vegas version, as delectable as ‘Catherine’ might be, grows old and tiresome, and Grissom is a pompous pain-in-the-ass. Nerd triumphant, as it were.

However, the reason for this treatise is not to extol the virtues of David Caruso, but to consider the matter of redheads.

It has been said (truly it has) that redheaded men are not to be trusted, and Caruso is a redhead. It has been said that male redheads are duplicitous, weak, mean-spirited, and devious. Not that there haven’t been redheaded males of accomplishment. Winston Churchill, who possessed auburn locks when he had hair, was a man of some attainment, I understand. And who could accuse Red Skelton, or even Red Buttoms of being duplicitous? Not I. Even though I never found Red Skelton remotely funny.

On the other hand, the kid who delivers our newspaper is tonsorially on the rouge side, and I wouldn’t trust the little bugger around the corner. Just something about him. I think it’s the way he throws the paper at the front door with sufficient force to chip paint that has something to do with it. That, plus the chronically nasty look on his face. I suspect he's a future felon, but that's just me.

I’ve read that redheaded kids in the UK (where redheads usually go by the term ‘ginger’) have a hard time with bullying at school, and regularly have the snot beaten out of them, just for the hue of their hair. That’s mean.

Interestingly, redheaded women get no bad press, and are considered often to be extremely desirable. Mainly because they are.

I was once married to a redhead, and she had flowing auburn tresses that ran right down to her cute bum when first I met her. I think I initially fell in love with her hair. And, there are things about redheads that only one who has been in very close quarters with a ‘true’ redhead knows to indeed be true. No more about that, however.

And, even though I am no longer married to a redhead, locks of auburn or titian will still invariably turn my head. They even did before I met my ex-wife.

Redheaded women often have fiery and feisty temperaments, but there is nothing wrong with that. I like forthright women. They are sometimes mercurial in temperament. That’s OK. Keeps a fella on his toes.

And now that I have run through all my clichés and stereotypes, I’ll just recall the loveliness of Rita Hayworth or Nicole Kidman, or assorted others of such a tone who have made impact. Even if the sunset tresses have come out of a bottle. It always works.

Here’s a toast to the redheads of the world!

Labels:

14 Comments:

Blogger Ellee Seymour said...

I saw the most beautiful read headed student in Cambridge today. (UK). She was pushing a bike to her studies, wearing a lovely green fitted jacket with a belt around the waist, and a very feminine black net skirt with an embossed print. She had a very fragile look about her, pale skin and large eyes.

Yes, I can understand why your head is turned by red heads, not sure if the same can be said about red headed men.

11:27 AM  
Blogger jmb said...

I concur absolutely. I have always been fascinated by red haired men and had several boyfriends of that variety in my youth. No bullying by me, just plain adoration.

I would love to have had red hair myself, instead of plain coppery brown. I got the freckles and the pale Celtic skin but not the hair.

11:45 AM  
Blogger meggie said...

I have red haired ancestors. My mother wished I would have the dark auburn of my father's brother. I am ever grateful I dint inherit it, nor did my children!

We have been watching Dexter- he has red hair!

2:02 PM  
Blogger heartinsanfrancisco said...

I like David Caruso. Flip and I often imitate his cadence, which we both do quite well.

I have always thought that auburn, Irish Setter-red hair,would work well with my coloring, but the effort involved would not work with my temperament.

I don't watch CSI NY because Gary Sinise makes my skin crawl.

6:38 PM  
Blogger laughingwolf said...

hear hear, ian!

mama was a redhead, and forever the woman with red hair has a warm spot in my heart... that's all i'll say ;)

6:44 PM  
Blogger Eastcoastdweller said...

One of the saddest things I have read of late in the news is that true redheads are a genetic flash in the pan, dying out as it were because both parents must be red-headed in order to pass the gene along.

Which worked back in the day in Celtic lands when redheads were not in short supply, but not so much in our era of globalization.

I love em, too -- nothing in the world is sexier than a redhead with long, lovely curls.

6:44 PM  
Blogger Voyager said...

I'll heartily join you in a toast to red heads, although it is somewhat imodest of me. But red headed men have it tough. I love 'em, but many, including the men themselves, do not. My beautiful titian haired son buzz cuts his fabulous hair to a stubble. A Dutch friend once confided to me that there is a traditional Dutch prayer recited by pregnant women that goes: "May my baby be healthy, and not have red hair."
V.

10:25 PM  
Blogger geewits said...

I always had a fascination with redheads and although I've tried to analyze it, the closest I have come is blaming it on "Archie Comics." In 1983, I suddenly asked myself, "If you love red hair so much, why not have it?" I did it and I loved it and I'm still doing it. I have now had red hair longer than I had brown hair. The freaky part of all of this was I had a red-headed daughter. There were a lot of corny jokes about "the Mrs. Clairol seeping through." But my daughter's hair is gorgeous - just like I would have picked out.

12:01 AM  
Blogger Casdok said...

I love CSI! You mention the mannerisms..they look a bit autistic to me!

1:54 AM  
Blogger Janice Thomson said...

I had a red-headed girl friend who was like a sister to me and had true carrot red hair, big brown eyes and creamy skin. I thought she was one of the most beautiful women I've ever known. It was fun being in her company because we would always be guaranteed dates LOL. Seriously though she was beautiful outside and in. And boy did she have a temper! I'll never forget the first morning after she had moved in with my husband and I when the company she worked for closed it's offices. My husband was asking about something to which I had already answered and my girlfriend who had just got up had testily said: "oh for God's sake pay attention! There's going to be a short quiz right after." We never laughed so hard - and she profusely apologized when she realized what she had just done - we just kept on laughing.

8:54 AM  
Blogger Maddy said...

I love Horatio. I watch it with my better half and we try and guy the cliche that he's going to come out with next - we nearly always win.
Cheers

10:25 AM  
Blogger MarmiteToasty said...

Yep, them redheaded kids are called 'gingers' over here..... they are like other minority groups and do get a little picked on..... like kids with glasses etc.... sad but true...... its sort of a standard cruel joke here that if one of ya maties have a ginger baby, everyone buys it a hat :)

Just popped over via...... I cant remember where LOL

x

12:07 PM  
Blogger Eastcoastdweller said...

Odd how in the very lands where redheads first emerged and were obviously found desirable enough to survive, thrive and reproduce, they are today the subject of such persecution.

12:09 PM  
Blogger Jazz said...

I would so have loved to be a redhead. Instead, I was a mousey brown.

How come we don't say brownhead and blondhead?

2:04 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home