Friday, November 30, 2007

Dumber, Dumberer and Dumberest

At the risk of being seen as an unrepentant over-the-top contrarian, let me say right now that I am less-than-on-side regarding the 2010 Winter Olympics to be held here in British Columbia.

In the first place I detest what the Olympics in general have become in recent years, what with doping, steroid use and retaining that farcical myth that the Olympics have something to do with ‘amateur’ athletics. They are as much about amateur sport as is the Indy 500.

They are a money making proposition for more candidates than I would care to even think about. A case in point would be the utterly nauseating looking so-called ‘mascots’ that were revealed the other day, amidst huge fanfare and following weeks of secrecy.

Secrecy? Over what? Over a bunch of tacky looking plush toy figures that are a hundred metre dash from anything resembling cute. They look like grotesque little anime figures that are, as far as I can discern, not remotely connected with anything spawned in BC. These guys find their origins somewhere in a Beijing neighborhood. Hey folks, the Chinese got the 2008 Olympics, we have the 2010 ones. Why are we flogging their critters, or reasonable facsimiles thereof? What on earth do they tell visitors about British Columbia? We have north coast native art that is revered and respected worldwide. Where did that go? Oh, right. Hucksters and good taste. I keep forgetting the contradiction in that.

So, we’re flogging ‘Miga’ described as a snowboarding sea bear (huh?), and 'Quatchi', a shy and gentle Sasquatch (sorry, I like my Sasquatches to be mean and ill-tempered), and ‘Sumi’ an animal guardian spirit (guess that is supposed to have a connection with northcoast native Indians, though I don’t know why since it has a name reminiscent of a fat Japanese wrestler; maybe because it looks like one?).

What do these bits of repulsiveness have to do with us? They are almost as bad as that stupid Inukshuk (that boringly ubiquitous Inuit pile of rocks) that was chosen as the Olympics symbol. Paint the sucker green and it looks like Gumby, and it has as much in common with southwestern BC as do Navajo turquoise belt buckles. Come to think of it, the Navajos are much closer geographically than are the folk who pile rocks into Inukshuks.

Well, in answer to that initial question about what these icky little aliens have to do with us, I guess the they have this to do with us: They are making a ton of money for the Olympics organizers. Those guys were astute enough to know you must never underestimate the intelligence or taste of the buying public, and people are snapping up these ‘Beanie-Babies Gone Bad’ like hotcakes. Go figure.

Anyway, this whole Olympics hysteria thing has left a sour taste in my mouth from the beginning. The province is forking out dumptruck loads of money, and constructing sports facilities all over the place for the ‘lesser Olympics’ (the summer ones attract much more public interest), and they are expecting the entire province to be collectively wetting itself over a thing that will last for a brief time and will impact only one small area of BC.

Added to which, and to be consummately sceptical, Olympics hardly ever make the sort of money that enters the realm of break-even, let alone turn a profit. They are a lousy business proposition except for the guys that capitalize from them. And there are lots of those. They just don’t happen to be the taxpayers of BC.

Excuse the rant, but when I saw those ‘things’ being unveiled earlier in the week I just shuddered and thought: “Well, I have to say something.”

Labels: ,

10 Comments:

Blogger Janice Thomson said...

You are spot on in every comment made in this post Ian. It is no wonder Canadians are looked at by the world as cavemen still living in the Stone Age. Of all the miraculous, beautiful and spectacular art that Canada offers I am ashamed to admit to being both an artist and a Canadian if this is what is representing Canada at the Olympics. We share the same feelings about the event itself.

3:14 PM  
Blogger andrea said...

I'd pour you a drink and tell you dirty jokes to get you to lighten up if I was a little closer, Ian, but this'll have to do :). I'm not a fan of the cheesy mascots unveiled yesterday but unlike virtually every other Canadian I know, I LOVE the Inukshuk logo. Most Canadians belong to the 2010 Logo Haters Club and God help your popularity if you admit you like it. And the drug scandals just add piquancy and drama to the two weeks of being glued to the TV (call me an Olympics geek) that I look forward to every two years. You can also call me seriously uncool, or even "a caveman still living in the stone age", but what most Canadians consider great art (Ken Danby, Robert Bateman et al) I call skilled and competent craftsmanship so you can bet I won't be asking their opinion on the originality of the logo.

On that note, I'll have my Scotch half full please. (The job of the independent thinker is to call out the contrarian. Pistols at dawn? :)

3:55 PM  
Blogger Ian Lidster said...

Andrea, since I no longer drink, you'll have to tell me the dirty jokes (I love those), and my point about the Inukshuk was only that it has utterly nothing to do with us down here.
Otherwise, your comments on Bateman and Danby, hooray! Can I give you a hug for that? At the end of it, you'll note that I didn't diss the events themselves. Some of them are powerful to watch, despite all the other stuff. I know two former Olympians quite well who live here in the Comox Valley, and like them both very much. They would be very offended by my opinion on this, no doubt. But, please do watch the events. I'm sure I'll watch, too.
But, as for the mascots, Janice and I are on the same page, but so it seems are you.
Meanwhile, I'll gladly pour you the scotch (women who like scotch are very special) and you can tell me the jokes.

4:37 PM  
Blogger geewits said...

I love the Olympics, but I wouldn't want them here and the mascots have been creepy for about 20 years now. Dallas keeps bidding for the Olympics and it will never happen because of the traffic problems. I imagine if they ever got it, the mascot would be a cow wearing a cowboy hat, which makes no sense.

12:58 AM  
Blogger laughingwolf said...

indeed, wtf were they thinking?

i could not agree with you more, on what the olympics have become and the crap they chose as 'mascots'!

how long did it take for montreal to recover?

bah! humbug!

4:27 AM  
Blogger Big Brother said...

The first thought I had about the picture was why is he putting up a picture of a Japanese kid's show. They do look like anime figures from a kids cartoon. As for the cost of the Olympics, we in Montréal have just finished paying for the one that happened in 76. Yep it took us 30 years but we are now the proud owners of that white elephant called the Olympic Stadium. Best thing we could do is let it crumple into ruins like the Coliseum of Rome, because it sure isn't generating any money.

5:51 AM  
Blogger meggie said...

Agree with all you said. Those cheap & nasties are a cause for shame.

11:18 AM  
Blogger jmb said...

No argument from me Ian, not on one point. These things are embarrassing. I will refuse to buy anything with these logos.

12:15 AM  
Blogger Jazz said...

Personally, I think they look like Hello Kitty on acid.

But that's just me.

9:30 AM  
Blogger yanmaneee said...

supreme
christian louboutin outlet
jordan shoes
jordans
nike foamposite
jordans
longchamp handbags
ferragamo belt
balenciaga
goyard handbags

4:19 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home