Tuesday, December 11, 2007

We love you Conrad, oh yes we do

A couple of people have asked me for my take on the sentencing of Conrad Black to 6-1/2 years for various forms of financial shenanigans over the years. The decision came down yesterday in Chicago.

While Conrad is probably better known in Canada than in the US, despite the fact the charges were filed in the US and pertain to various dealings south of the Canadian border, he actually chose to become a British subject a few years ago, mainly so he could attach ‘Lord’ to his name.

So, how do I feel? I was expecting to feel a great deal more schadenfreude than I actually have. Following the ego-driven and arrogant man’s behaviors over the past few years, and certainly paying considerable attention to his trial, I thought I would have greater sensations of “Throw the book at the sonofabitch, just for being an arrogant, self-righteous, tasteless snob” but surprisingly I did not.

It was sort of akin to having a wonderful erotic fantasy about someone and then actually having an encounter come true, and finally thinking, after it’s over: “Is that it? That wasn’t so much after all.”

In truth I find Conrad Black to be a crashing bore in all his dealings. He comes across as a sycophant and delusionary. While no doubt bright, his quest was not only to rise to the top (wherever that is) but also to nab a title to go along with it. Especially in the days when he owned (on paper, anyway) the august London Daily Telegraph, he fancied himself on a par with such moguls of the media biz as Rupert Murdoch and compatriot Ken Thomson. They laughably dismissed him as being nowhere near their league in terms of power and influence, an also ran. They would be right.

But, Conrad nevertheless set out to curry favor amongst those he deemed influential in arch conservative realms, like Margaret Thatcher and Henry Kissinger. Surprisingly, he was able to suck them in – for a while.

Another conquest of Conrad’s was in acquiring the bountifully beautiful Barbara Amiel. Frankly I find Barbara much more interesting than Conrad. Nearing her upper 60s she’s still a head-turner and has had all the nips, tucks, botoxing and boob jobs to make sure she stays that way. Conrad seems to be one of those guys who finds it a turn on to think that his missus might arouse other men.

Barbara is terribly bright, and I must confess, an astute and powerful journalist when she chooses to be. While her worldview is a little to the right of the Waffen SS, she still wields a mean pen and is always readable. At the same time, I find it odd to find that her focus appears to be rather than an intellectual one when she enters a salon, than one of: “My tits. Do you think they’re noticing my tits?”

Anyway, Conrad got 6.5 years in some club fed somewhere (he gets sent up in the spring), and we’re sure he will appeal and we’re equally sure he will only do a fraction of the sentence.

But, on the other hand, he didn’t kill anybody, he just played fast and loose with money he didn’t have, and with an ego (in my opinion) that did not match his actual talents. If he’d had genuine talent he wouldn’t have been so swayed by mammon, and would have made decisions that would have kept him from the Big House.

So, I should feel more jubilant that he got his come-uppance, but can only conclude he was a rather sad man and much ‘smaller’ than he will ever admit that he is.

Labels:

9 Comments:

Blogger Rositta said...

I am sorry he is going to prison. He was larger than life and gave us, for a time, one of the interesting newspapers in Canada, sure beat the heck out of the globe and dope. Now that's only a shadow of what it once was. He'll be back, don't count him out...ciao

12:10 PM  
Blogger Jazz said...

We have pretty much the same take on him Ian. Personally I find him pretty pathetic. At least he didn't steal from little old ladies, he made really rich people a little less rich. All in all so what.

I do think that high flying white collar crime is dealt with much too leniently though. A "victimless" crime they say. I think that's bullshit. Especially when, like in the Norbourg case, the guy defrauded lots of people of their life savings. And he'll no doubt get off with hardly more than a slap on the wrist.

Of course, Conrad just made a lot of rich people a little less rich - my heart doesn't bleed for them but there's the principle of the thing.

1:16 PM  
Blogger meggie said...

I have found myself feeling a little sympathy for tall poppies who get mown. Fleetingly perhaps, but I feel it is healthy to not crave 'revenge' too much.

3:37 PM  
Blogger Big Brother said...

What always bugged me about Conrad was his holier than thou outlook. You know his rants about welfare bums who were living it up on society's generosity, well now he'll finally get a taste of that largess. He will be fed, clothed, and housed at the US government's expense. Let's see what he has to say about it after 6 years.

PS I like your "While her worldview is a little to the right of the Waffen SS,", it describes them to a T.

3:54 PM  
Blogger Tai said...

And people who DO murder and rape are often slapped on the wrist and told they need help.

Money is where the crime matters. And that's shameful.

9:57 PM  
Blogger Casdok said...

It was sort of akin to having a wonderful erotic fantasy about someone and then actually having an encounter come true, and finally thinking, after it’s over: “Is that it? That wasn’t so much after all.”

I know that feeling!!!

11:03 PM  
Blogger laughingwolf said...

i read this only cuz you wrote it....

3:53 AM  
Blogger Richard Havers said...

Great post. It summed up the situation really well and echoed what I thought having watched the coverage on TV here in Scotland. The thing that comes through everything CB does is, for me at least.....now there goes a not a very nice man.

9:06 AM  
Blogger heartinsanfrancisco said...

I must admit I don't know much about him. Considering his crimes against those of OJ Simpson, for example, it seems unlikely that he'll serve any or much time. But then, comparing ANYBODY's crimes to those of OJ should really give everyone a get-out-of-jail-free card.

I am very weary of vastly different standards of justice for different social and economic classes of criminals.

5:41 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home