Monday, December 10, 2007

'But will you love me tomorrow?'

Maybe (probably) it was lack of much tangible mother-love in both childhood and later in my life that left me with a residual fear of rejection. I don’t write this to assail my mother; not at this late date, rest her soul, but just as a statement of fact.

So, my fear of rejection and long-time lack of trust was invariably transferred to other females in my life, such as my first two wives, and many females with whom I shared intimate adventures.

I never feared rejection by males because my father, as tyrannical as he could be at times, generally loved me and cared about my well-being. Even when he was being a prick, that was largely because he cared and didn’t want me making boneheaded decisions that would hurt me. Hey, ‘level-of-care’ is ‘level-of-care’ regardless of how it manifested. I always knew that if I were in a jam, the old man would help out. Mother, not so. Jams put her into full-bore, self-indulgent panic mode.

Anyway, my first wife (with all her virtues, and they were many) was probably more similar to my mother than I realized. She didn’t drink, which made her seem different. But, otherwise, she had a similar aloofness and rendered it difficult to get to know her completely. I was never really allowed ‘in’, in the metaphorical sense – the physical one was just dandy, thank-you. After we had decided to separate I once said to her: “You know, I have been with you for many, many years and have absolutely no idea who you are. You’ve never invited me in.” I still don’t really know who she is.

My second wife, beautiful, flamboyant, hyper-sexual (or so I thought in our courting days, since that was the message she gave. I was wrong); mercurial, and sometimes downright scary, gave me a different message. It was a message that indicated ‘I must not trust this woman’ because she makes it all seem so wonderful. Again, a post-separation conversation in which she said: “I always figured you believed I always had one foot out the door in our relationship. In that you would have been right.” That was all I needed to know.

As for other relationships, intimate and non-intimate, there have been a few. I always tried diligently to not fall in love. That would leave me vulnerable. It gave me the right to leave in a non-codependent manner. Didn’t always work. Anyway, I still have an important group of non-sexual female friends and I cherish them all deeply. I am happily and resolutely faithfully married, so my friends are no threat. But, it remains important that they are there. They offer something that Mom was obviously unable to offer. Wendy does likewise. In that I am finally blessed and have moved on.
Wendy also knows me well, and she knows my sensitivity to rejection. Therefore she has often wondered about why I chose a calling that lives and breathes on acceptance/rejection, and that is being a writer (or anybody in any of the related creative arts). And, I find that most writers and artists I know are very similar to me in their rejection angst. Yet, they masochistically do what they do. I do it because I ‘must’, for whatever reason. I have no choice but to write, others of you here who either write or create art strike me as remarkably similar, which is why we have our ties with each other.

I like to tell myself that rejection of a created work doesn’t bother me all that much, provided I think it’s good. But, that’s a lie. Acceptance is just ever so much better. Acceptance is a validation of sorts. Acceptance means that Mom really likes me.

So, currently I have a manuscript off at a couple of publishers and still hope for either acceptance or the will to send it out again (and again, and again etc.) if it is rejected. If I fully believe in what I’ve done, I will do that.

Like I said, masochists.

Labels: ,

16 Comments:

Blogger thailandchani said...

I deeply resonate with this post.. but I find it hard to trust men. Similar reasons and I also have an irrational fear of rejection that often paralyzes me.

You recognize the whole dynamic very well. :)

10:04 AM  
Blogger Janice Thomson said...

We all fear rejection of some kind I think. The silly thing is that most rejection comes from someone who is merely offering an opinion - and only their opinion to boot. Yet for some reason we think it so necessary that we look good to that other person. I also believe the path we take, in for instance our careers, is unconsciously chosen by us in order to learn to deal with whatever problem we have. I too am a writer of words albeit in a different form and often face the thoughts of rejection. Having a blog and watching comments rise to the double digits most of the time I do know my writing is good and should a publisher reject my work I also know it has merely not passed his criteria but may be perfectly acceptable to another.

10:57 AM  
Blogger Jazz said...

To not fear rejection is to not be human...

From the movie Freaks:

"We accept her! We accept her! One of us! One of us! Gooble gobble, gooble gobble! One of us! One of us!"

Every time I hear "acceptance" that phrase from the movie comes back to me thanks to Marillion, who have it in one of their songs.

2:02 PM  
Blogger andrea said...

Ian, you are so right. I'm yet another creative who is positively petrified of rejection. And in a world where money=success I'm in a high anxiety situation right now as art simply doesn't allow me to make ends meet (thank god my better half has a steady job), and Christmas with a sudden flurry of other unforeseen bills really is hard on the ego.

Another riveting post, full of the stuff that makes you good at what you do. And I know you have no choice. Me neither.

6:58 PM  
Blogger meggie said...

You are so good at putting it all into words that resonate so well with so many of us, Ian.
My sense of rejection is to do with not having my father about, & never getting a a chance to really know him.
I have a long term marriage, but am not sure how well we know each other, even after 41 years!

10:01 PM  
Blogger Hermes said...

Interesting post. I can't say I have the same issues with rejection. But I think Janice is right. Everyone needs acceptance of one kind or another. The trick is choosing whose opinion you will care about. A theatre professor said to our class "so what if you fail? Who are we to tell you that you can't act? If you want to pursue acting, go!" Best advice I ever got... even though I switched majors.

10:07 PM  
Blogger Tanya Brown said...

I thought this statement, by wife #2, was unforgivable:

“I always figured you believed I always had one foot out the door in our relationship. In that you would have been right.”

I suppose that could be read different ways, but the way I read it was "Yeah, I never was really committed to you or the relationship. I essentially lied to you but hey, I figured you knew." Yeah, that'll leave a person feeling rejected. Of course, it says a lot more about her than it does you.

As for the manuscript, just keep on moving down the path. Maybe you'll get an offer on the first round of publishers and maybe it'll be an offer you like. Otherwise, it isn't a personal reflection on you. Sometimes things just aren't a good fit for whatever mysterious and sometimes capricious reasons publishers make their decisions. You're a seasoned writer and you've got your chops. You have nothing to prove to nobody, no way, no how. If the manuscript comes back, stick the puppy in another envelope and move on down the list. It's written. You literally have nothing to lose except the price of postage.

In the meantime, how about starting another manuscript to take your mind off your concerns about the first one?

11:09 PM  
Blogger jmb said...

Great post Ian. We are all so insecure about ourselves, even the ones who look so confident.

Whether your manuscript is accepted or not, and I do hope sincerely that it is, you are a very entertaining writer with a great gift. But of course you want that validation of a published book. And we want to buy it and get you to autograph. So good luck, you masochist, you.

11:27 PM  
Blogger Belizegial said...

Ian good morning,

Your post made me ponder on my own fears. I don't fear rejection inasmuch as I fear acceptance.
Does that make any sense?

Anyway, you got my thinking gears going today so I'm off to see if I can get things going at an early clip.

Have a nice day,
Enid

4:37 AM  
Blogger Jazz said...

Totally off topic here, Ian, but:

Conrad Black's sentence. Discuss.

4:58 AM  
Blogger laughingwolf said...

gotta agree with the sentiments, and your observations

as for black's sentence, i really don't give a rat's ass about him, or his ilk....

5:45 AM  
Blogger Liz Dwyer said...

I SO know what you mean. I've been thinking about why I don't submit my work to more short story contests, etc., and it's clearly rejection related issues. It's, "What if I think it's good but I find that I've been delusional?"

For a long time I didn't believe in unconditional love. I didn't expect it. I just didn't believe humans were actually capable of it. And then I had kids and my perspective totally changed.

8:42 AM  
Blogger heartinsanfrancisco said...

I have always deeply feared rejection, too, probably because I knew it so intimately in my family home growing up.

As for throwing your work against the wall until it sticks somewhere, remember that Robert Persig got 134 rejection letters before someone agreed to publish "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance."

5:47 PM  
Blogger Angela said...

Count me in. I have spent many, many years trying to make sure that I am accepted (or that the pieces of me -- like my writing -- are accepted) at all costs. Today, I'd just like to be me, and if there's anyone who doesn't like me or my stuff, they can keep moving on. *Sigh* Great post, Ian. Insight sometimes comes at a heavy price, doesn't it?

7:51 PM  
Blogger Angela said...

Oh, and I've decided that perhaps there isn't really such a thing as "rejection," meaning that if something feels/seems/looks rejected, it's only that it hasn't yet found its true home and that the universe isn't willing to settle for less. Just a thought.

7:52 PM  
Blogger riseoutofme said...

I think maybe we all fear rejection .... and yet we constantly reject ourselves ... we beat ourselves up about the most trivial of things....

Now .. acceptance ... thats a much nicer word.

Great post, Ian.

4:17 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home