Tuesday, December 04, 2007

Sugar and spice and all things hyped ad nauseam

I have always had a special place in my heart for female vocalists, and love them all from Peggy Lee to Cass Elliot to Linda Ronstadt to Juice Newton to Jann Arden to Holly Cole to Kiri Te Kanawa to Jo Stafford to Lena Horne to Sarah Vaughan to Ella Fitzgerald to Cyndi Lauper to Dusty Springfield to Diana Krall to Madonna (at moments) to Deborah Harry to absolutely too many more to mention.

And girl groups; crazy about those from the golden era of The Shirelles, Crystals, Supremes, Vandellas, Shangri-Las, the Ronettes (Be My Baby; must agree with John Lennon that it is one of the sexiest songs every sung and yet it contains no smut) and hosts of others. I even like the later girl groups like the Go-Gos, Bananarama, and so forth.

And then there are the Spice Girls. I thought they’d died, but suddenly here they are again. This past weekend they kicked off their North American Tour in Vancouver, and to read of the joint orgasm all the music scribes in otherwise respectable newspapers were having, you’d think that Christ had dropped into town again. Vancouver likes to think that it isn’t still a small town, and then something like this happens and you know it is.

Anyway, I never did ‘get’ the Spice Girls. Never did the first time around about a decade ago and don’t know why there seemed to be some sort of need for a ‘second time around. It’s probably not for me to say, but I always regarded this quintette of moderately comely Brit girls as a victory for studio sounds and lots of hype – kind of like the Monkees at an earlier time, except that they turned out ultimately to be actually talented. Haven’t quite seen that with the SG yet, but I’m in really no position to judge.

For the uninitiated, I think the SG consist of people like that anorexic Beckham chick with the sour puss and silicone boobs out to here, and the one who had an ill-considered liaison with the formerly funny Eddie Murphy, and somebody named Posh and then I think Sneezy, Grumpy and Dopey, but I can’t be certain.

Anyway, I commend the SG for their promotion machine. I mean, we’ve just been inundated with them constantly and consistently for it seems like weeks.

I really am in no position to judge the SG, since I don’t think I’m in the demographic of their fan base, which I suspect consists of 11 to 15 year old females. Why girls of that age would be interested in singers that would be around the same age as their mothers is beyond me. I doubt that the SG have a big male following, or at least I’ve never read of such being the case. That doesn’t suggest that young males have better musical taste, but that their interests go in other directions.

Anyway, let everybody have their fun but just let me say that I am really, really tired of Spice Girl hype and hope that they don’t consider a third incarnation a decade from now.


Labels: , ,

13 Comments:

Blogger thailandchani said...

Well, I barely remember the SG and didn't know they were being promoted again. As I recall, they didn't have nearly the talent of the other girl groups you mention.

I will admit that hearing about Posh and her hairdo is getting a bit cloying. :)

9:21 AM  
Blogger Ellee Seymour said...

I think they had a good write up on their UK concert. I now think that Posh Spice looks Scary Spice though.

I was sad to see a very, very, very overweight picture of Aretha Franklin in today's paper, one of my favourite songs is "I say a little prayer."

9:52 AM  
Blogger Liz Dwyer said...

I started laughing the moment I saw the title of this post. Seriously, why are they reuniting? Was there an international clamor for them to go back out on tour?

The anorexic-looking Beckham one is Posh. I think her whole body is the size of one of my thighs. How does she even have the energy to dance?

The only one that even looks healthy is Mel B, Eddie's baby mama.

The Daily Mail had a really funny review of the concert on their site. I wish they'd just donate all the money from the tour to charity or something. That would make it worthwhile.

10:30 AM  
Blogger Hermes said...

I'll judge! I said it in the 90's and I'll say it again now. The Spice Girls are all Dopey, a blight on the music industry, and they need to be stopped. I had hoped that they would have been stopped by a population with no interest but no luck there. I understand the hesitation to judge and I would normally take the same road because everyone can like what they want. But these girls were an exercise in marketing, like you say, and shouldn't have any more influence over the world of music than should I. Whew! I think a vein is standing out on my forehead. Should go lie down.

10:47 AM  
Blogger Casdok said...

We can live in hope!

10:51 AM  
Blogger Alexandra said...

they aren't "vocalists" at least not in the true sense of the word. they are simply entertainers.

2:53 PM  
Blogger Tai said...

Blergh.

5:37 PM  
Blogger beachgirl said...

Your funny Ian,
A post on the infamous Spice Girls. I seem to have missed their act the last time around. But thats ok with me. I was busy raising my family. Now their grown and won't be looking to see them either. No loss for me.
I hope your digging out from all that snow. The weather here has been fantastic. But alas, a cold front tonight. We are getting down to 58 degrees. Yikes. Break out the winter clothes. Just kidding on the clothes. It's only last 2 days. Then back to the 80's we go.

Have an awesome night and keep warm.

6:06 PM  
Blogger meggie said...

I loathed them the first time, & cannot bear to think about them this time.
That Beckham creature is so plastic she looks as if she might crack!
Where is the 'talent?' None!!

7:56 PM  
Blogger kimber said...

Try as I might to hate all that the Spice Girls embody, I can't get their bloody songs out of my head. Even now, after reading your post, I'm humming one of their vapid little ditties. ARG!!!!

9:49 PM  
Blogger laughingwolf said...

i'm with you on the gal singers, and your thoughts on the 'revival'

the only reason i even knew of them in their first incarnation: two young daughters, who no longer care, either

3:55 AM  
Blogger Jazz said...

The never were a "band". The spice girls are always and forever a marketing coup.

On another note:

you’d think that Christ had dropped into town again.

Had he already been through Vancouver?

11:31 AM  
Blogger jmb said...

They must have run out of money. Well some of them and the others are being charitable.

Another thing I ignored in this place.

You'd better watch your blood pressure, Ian, you're getting upset again.

7:29 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home