Saturday, December 15, 2007

The trouble with angels

There are Christmas songs I like, and Christmas songs I loathe (so far this year I’ve been able to escape the irksome to the point of making my skin crawl, The Little Drummer Boy). Particular favorites of mine are those seasonal pieces decked in clerical garb. While I’m not particularly churchy, I think religious inspiration should be the motivating creative force in a song about Christmas.

Sitting in a Starbucks this morning (that wasn’t a plug, but if the SB people want to give me free Americanos for the rest of my life thanks to my reference, that’s OK with me) I heard, aside from the Charlie Brown Christmas theme music (love that Vince Guaraldi) was Hark the Herald Angels. It was a choral version, as it should be.

I recall when I was a very young child that I thought the song was about an angel called Harold. You know, you had Gabriel and Michael, and Maybe Harold, all wing-bedecked, sitting next to God.

That led me to thinking about angels in general. Not only how many could sit on the head of a pin, but also about popular misconceptions about angels. For example, you have the ever-popular (and deservedly so) film It’s a Wonderful Life. Aside from Jimmy Stewart, and the wonderfully adorable Donna Reed, there is good old Lionel Barrymore – “You’ll rue the day, George Bailey!” And, there is Clarence the angel who doesn’t yet have his wings. Cute. But, the problem is, Clarence is a violation of scriptural tenets.

Children, because they are confused and nonplused by death (ain’t we all?) are benevolently told, if say a grandmother has died, that she has gone to Heaven and become and angel who will watch over grieving grandchild. Therefore, kids grow up thinking that if you are really good, that when you die you will become and angel.

Only problem is, that is not what Christian doctrine (or Islamic or Jewish doctrine) suggests. It’s certainly not in the Bible. The scriptural view on the matter is that God created everything, included human beings, beasts of the field, etc. as well as angels. Angels were simply another order of creation. They were never human. Furthermore, and this confounded medieval and renaissance artists, they were neither male nor female. So, if you give a girl angel boobs or any angel a belly button, you are sort of denying how they came about.

My second wife still held to the theory that angels were ‘late’ human beings, and she grew remarkably indignant at my suggestions to the contrary. Mind you, she grew remarkably indignant about many things I ran past her. Anyway, she was content to stick with her view of the celestial situation.

We also assume that angels are pretty, well, ‘angelic’ creatures. That was definitely not always the case. Satan, for example, was an archangel, which sat him right up there alongside the aforementioned Gabriel and Michael (and maybe Harold). Then, when things weren’t working out at the office for this ruthlessly ambitious Young Turk , when he wasn’t getting ahead like he thought he should, he staged a palace revolt. God was thoroughly pissed and kicked him out, and that was how he became the Prince of Darkness. I know that is so because I’ve read my Paradise Lost.

Gabriel too had his cranky moments, and sometimes God (especially Old Testament God, who was much stricter than New Testament God) sent his angels to do His dirty work, kind of like Seraphic hitmen. Unlike that damn (literally) old Satan, they knew to obey and do what it took.

Thus endeth my little theological musing in this Christmas season.

Labels:

10 Comments:

Blogger laughingwolf said...

one of the guys i went to college with was a george bailey... last i heard, he was with some hotel chain

5:06 PM  
Blogger Janice Thomson said...

Oh Holy Night is my favorite -always was and always will be -it can literally raise the hair on my head if done properly and by a good good singer.
I've been called an angel by a few people -I'm afraid I fall awfully short of that title.
Wonderful and timely post Ian - so great to read something about Christmas besides food and gifts.

5:47 PM  
Blogger Hermes said...

I love Handel's Messiah. I'm not usually a stickler about much but no one is allowed to talk until the Halleluja chorus is over.
There is a very silly and cheesy movie series starring Christopher Walken called "The Prophecy". Don't rent it, it's bad. But an ex-seminary student turned detective says "Every time God wants to destroy a city, or the world, he sends an angel. Would you ever really want to meet one?" Hmm, The Flood, Sodom and Gammorah, killing idolators... I see the point. Even the Annunciation must have been traumatic to poor old Mary. "Hi. I know you're a virgin but you're pregnant. It is God. Name him Jesus. Bye!"

8:13 PM  
Blogger geewits said...

Since I don't have any angelic thoughts, I'll just comment on the Christmas music segment of this post. While I do like some choral arrangements, and have repeatedly mentioned my love for the Vince Guaraldi Trio, most of my favorite songs are from the old black bands. The Drifters' "White Christmas" is better than almost anything and I'm crazy for the entire "Christmas with the Platters" album. But for some real fun check out the California Raisins singing "Rudolph" here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXzriJ2LDpI

12:29 AM  
Blogger thailandchani said...

O Holy Night is also one of my favorites.. and I don't even celebrate Christmas. It's just a beautiful song!

Right on.. your understanding of angels. That's the way I learned it also.

But in the end, doctrinal purity probably isn't as important as the comfort people get from their beliefs, whatever they are.

11:03 AM  
Blogger meggie said...

I rather enjoyed John Travolta being Michael.
The concept of angesl is fascinating to think about.
As to commercial so called Christmas music... dont get me started. I note a lot of malls & shops are not playing it all this year, & wonder if it is not to offend the Muslims??

11:34 AM  
Blogger Tai said...

Well isn't that interesting. I had failed to consider that about angels Ian, but you're right. They're a whole different creature entirely.
Wonder how we got to imagining that 'grandma' would become an angel.

6:22 PM  
Blogger Jazz said...

if you give a girl angel boobs or any angel a belly button, you are sort of denying how they came about.

I've always thought it would be cool to have plastic surgery to have my belly button removed. Basically, it's just a scar, so why not get rid of it. Besides, it'd probably freak people out.

7:22 AM  
Blogger jmb said...

These are probably not sound musings theologically speaking but I enjoyed them anyway.
O Holy Night is my favourite too and we always open presents to this, sung of course by Pavarotti.

11:23 PM  
Blogger heartinsanfrancisco said...

If not for Satan, we would not have the term "fallen angel."

I subscribe to the view that angels are not ex-humans but a separate order of being. I had an experience on my bike in which I was about to be hit by a speeding truck on the country road where I lived, which was slippery with small rocks and loose dirt. There was no way I could get out of the way in time.

Suddenly, I felt huge hands lifting me and my bicycle and setting us down on the other side of the intersection as the truck raced by.

I do believe in angels, and while the spirits of our departed loved ones may also be around us, they are not angels no matter how angelic they may have been.

11:50 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home