Friday, December 21, 2007

As John Lennon said: "Merry Krimble"



Depending on my scheduling and time at my disposal I might write another blog prior to Christmas. I’ll just have to see what time permits. If I don’t (or even if I do) I do want to wish all my valued blogger friends an extremely Merry Christmas.

You’ll note that I wrote ‘Merry Christmas’, not ‘Happy Holidays’ or ‘Season’s Greetings’ or any of the other euphemistic expressions that abound these days so that we don’t offend the sensibilities of those who don’t ‘subscribe’, at least in titular fashion (like me), to the tenets of Christianity.

Not that Christmas has much to do with Christianity in the first place. In fact, for centuries Christmas was largely disregarded by your clerical sorts, who placed much more emphasis on Good Friday and Easter, what with the message of salvation and all.

In fact, many of our cherished and time-honored Christmas traditions are Teutonic in origin and probably even a tad Druidic, what with the mistletoe and all. They were rendered popular in Britain when Queen Victoria married Albert, who was a Germanic sort and brought along those Tannenbaumen mit him. Anyway, those traditions transferred to North America and that is where our traditional Yuletide frolics come from; right down to the eggnog and ‘figgy pudding.’

I only bring about the ‘Merry Christmas’ issue because of a newspaper item I read yesterday that observed that ‘most’ North Americans are more comfortable with such aforementioned references as Happy Holidays and Season’s Greetings, just in case they don’t offend fellow citizens of other persuasions.

What a bunch of spineless wienies we’ve become, if that’s the case. I have no problem with other seasonal traditions adhered to by other faiths and cultures. I think Hanukah and Ramadan and Diwali are ever so jolly (rhyme unintentional) and would defend to the death the rights of the adherents to those faiths to honor what is sacred to the.

I just want to see ‘my’ traditions honored in the same manner. And, surprisingly enough, Jews, Muslims and Hindus have never asked for us to cut them slack in that regard. In fact, most respect those of Christian background who honor their heritage as well.

As I said, I’m not a practicing Christian. I was raised Anglican (Episcopal) but essentially dropped out after I was confirmed (my mother’s only demand in that regard). I have my own set of beliefs and they serve me quite nicely, thank you, without benefit of clergy.

However, I happen to like the sacred message of the Christmas story, and I love the sacred music of Christmas, and plan to keep doing so.

We’re saddled with enough guilt at this season, what with fretting about the homeless and the impoverished and the morons who go wacky with their credit cards. I refuse to let Christmas (so-named) to make me feel guilty.

So to you, dear friends, a Very Merry CHRISTMAS. And, to non-adherents, have a wonderful season. I do happen to believe in inclusivity as much as anything else.

Labels:

20 Comments:

Blogger thailandchani said...

Even though I am one of those who does not celebrate, I certainly honor your right to do so, and everyone else's. I agree with what you've said here. There's absolutely nothing wrong with "Merry Christmas".

So.. given that... although it may sound very strange from this oddball little Buddhist.... Merry Christmas to you. I wish you peace.

10:39 AM  
Blogger Hermes said...

There is nothing wrong with honouring one's own... leanings - if not beliefs. But, intentional or not, that rhyme is something to be very proud of. Make sure you write it down.

4:27 PM  
Blogger Rositta said...

Merry Christmas to you...ciao

8:58 PM  
Blogger geewits said...

Well if we don't see you again, Merry Christmas!

10:30 PM  
Blogger Tanya Brown said...

Merry Christmas! I hope you and your wife have a lovely, peaceful holiday filled with whatever comforts you like best.

10:46 PM  
Blogger jmb said...

Have a very Happy Christmas Ian. I agree with everything you have said and I can't believe we have become like this. Well I haven't actually, although I do respect everyone else's celebrations too.
Enjoy everything.

11:41 PM  
Blogger Casdok said...

And a Merry CHristmas to you x

11:46 PM  
Blogger dragonflyfilly said...

"Happy Holidays" - bah humBUG, what does "happy holidays" mean???

it is Christmas so....

MERRY CHRISTMAS, MERRY CHRISTMAS, MERRY CHRISTMAS, yes yes yes yes....i am going to get a neon sign [that reads "Merry Christmas"] to put on my balcony, instead of Christmas lights!

love and light, and happy new year!
cheers for now,
pj

8:31 AM  
Blogger Janice Thomson said...

I so agree Ian and wish you and Wendy a very Merry Christmas!

10:13 AM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

This is one of your best posts. We need more folks like you to speak up. We live in a multicultural society, and I am happy to participate in other cultures' festivals, and I know they are happy to participate mine. We can't allow the well-meaning, but stupid folks to give our Christmas away. What will it be next? Easter will become Happy Bunnies Day? Puhleeze!

A very Merry Christmas to you and your family.

12:03 PM  
Blogger laughingwolf said...

other than being brought up lutheran, we are of the same mindset, ian

i choose to follow my own paths, but honor others for theirs... and i get along well with all my friends

so yeah: merry christmas!

5:21 PM  
Blogger heartinsanfrancisco said...

Happy Christmas to you and Wendy, Ian, and a most blessed New Year!

6:41 PM  
Blogger CS said...

AS my son likes to say, Happy ChrismaHanaKwanzakah to you!

8:09 PM  
Blogger CS said...

AS my son likes to say, Happy ChrismaHanaKwanzakah to you!

8:09 PM  
Blogger Voyager said...

Everyone's celebrations are worth, well, celebrating!
I've been away from the 'net, preoccupied. Glad to be back. I missed reading your posts.
V.

9:00 PM  
Blogger Ellee Seymour said...

Merry Christmas wishes to you, I look forward to catching up with your great posts in the new year.

3:37 AM  
Blogger Synchronicity said...

and a very merry christmas to you! just wanted to thank you for your friendship this year. you have lightened my days many a times with your words. thank you friend.

5:54 AM  
Blogger Big Brother said...

A Merry Christmas, Solstice or whatever you want, to you and yours Ian. ;o)

9:44 AM  
Blogger Liz Dwyer said...

Seriously, at my son's "Holiday" show, everyone was very careful to not even mention what holiday we were having a show for. SO annoying. I'm not Christian but I'm not at all bent out of shape by someone wishing me Merry Christmas. Or giving me presents. I like presents!

Anyway, Merry Christmas to you and yours, Ian!

10:07 AM  
Blogger Darren Demers said...

Merry Christmas! I hope you and your wife have a lovely, peaceful holiday filled with whatever comforts you like best.
black pakistani suit ,
black salwar suit ,

1:34 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home