Tuesday, January 01, 2008

Sorry, but the prom queen will win again


Remember your high school days? Of course you do. And, if you remember them, you should also recall them as being the most cringeworthy time of your life. If you are remotely sane, HS is a place to which you should have no desire to return, even in your reveries.

The only good thing to come from high school (in retrospect) has nothing to do with learning trigonometry (bet trig’s been a lot of use to you in later life), understanding the tenses of French verbs or coming to the conclusion that Emily Dickinson was really screwed up sexually, but in the realization that life is not only unfair, but that it is designed to be so. So designed, of course, by those who came out on the ‘good side’ of the unfairness.

Those who were (and remain) on that good side are the high school ‘innies’; the golden children who were cosseted, cajoled, flattered, and told they were the possessors of spectacular anal sphincters from which the sun did, and would continue to, beam forth. Doesn’t matter that it wasn’t true, what matters is that the possessors of these light-exuding bums believed it to be so. They also believed that lesser mortals should therefore, always, bow to their will.

Were you in the in-crowd in school? I wasn’t. Well, maybe sorta, but not much. I was positioned in -- if former classmates are to believed -- a sort of outer ring that sat smartly on the cusp of where a slightly in-crowd and the mass of complete nonentities met. I saw myself in the nonentity group. Some saw me as closer to the centre. Jeez, thanks guys, I’m flattered.

Of course, those assessments only come from those who were in virtually the same position as I was, and there were scads of us.

And there my life-course was determined. As I was then, there I still am, if I am to judge how my life has unfolded. It’s true that in some areas I may regard myself as special, maybe even sui generis, but I think to many others I am right where I was at 17 – a decent enough guy, moderately nice looking, with a relatively pleasing personality, and generally intelligent. But, no real superlatives happening. Well, maybe I do, but we tend to be oblivious to our own areas of excellence.

For you see, there is no life after high school. I can look around me, both in my own community and elsewhere and regard those who have good things fall into their laps. Utterly undeserving people (in terms of real talent) who have good things fall into their laps. I don’t say this out of bitterness, but merely as an observation.

I think of a female of my acquaintance (considerably younger than I) who, since she came to this community has had plum positions simply fall into place virtually from the moment she arrived. Oh, she’s quite charming (in a superficial manner), relatively pretty (with a great ass, I must smuttily confess), and a truly pedestrian intellect and imagination. Yet, without striving, she does well, very well.

Why is this? Well, for one thing she has a ‘big’ personality. Lots of color, flash and pizzazz. Also, her mother, whom I know, thinks she is the most talented young creature ever conceived. And such motivators, I conclude, are the keys to success, not subtle intellect.

I just bet in high school she was prom queen, most likely to succeed, belonged to a gazillion clubs and all the lads (and maybe a few teachers) had big old crushes on her. And, she continues in that pattern. Yet, as Gertrude Stein said about Oakland, California, “there’s no ‘there’ there.”

It’s a disconcerting reality, if you think about it on a larger scale. It really matters not a fart in a smaller community, but if you consider our leaders, it assumes much importance. Leadership, be it in politics, business or wherever, is the bastions of the ‘big’ personality. Lots of glitter and glam. At the same time do those big personalities, those glamorous lads and lasses who control our destines, have the genuine wits and skills to serve us best? I think much of history and the contemporary scene can only lead us to conclude, as did Porgy, that “It ain’t necessarily so.”

Take US presidents. Who are the shining beacons? Oh, JFK to be sure, and Bill Clinton and Ronald Reagan. Personality to burn in all cases. We’re they good at the job? In the case of each it’s arguable that their flaws surpassed their virtues.

Who was the best post-World War Two president? Taking all aspects of the task into consideration, I’ll vouch for Harry Truman. He was not colourful; he was a humble little haberdasher from Independence, MO. Yet, he ably took the helm of the most powerful country on the planet at one of the most perilous times, and did more good than bad.

In Canada the most dazzling prime minister in the postwar era was Pierre Trudeau. Everybody in the world knew Trudeau; bright, sexy, colourful. Was he the best? Arguably he was one of the worst at many levels, but man he had style. The best was a man most people have never heard of: he was a quiet and rather boring plodder named Lester Pearson.

Now, for fear of rambling needlessly, I’ll merely conclude that our patterns are set at an early age, and the key to future happiness rests solely with our ability to see ourselves in a positive light and screw what anybody else thinks.

Maybe there can be life after high school, provided we take steps to leave those sordid years in the past. We may not have attained all that we wanted to, but if we can pull up the covers at night with a clear conscience, we’re doing OK.


Labels:

15 Comments:

Blogger Janice Thomson said...

I have to admit high school was not a place of good memories as I was considered a bit of an outcast and always referred to as 'miss goody two shoes' - coming from the farm I was a product of strict upbringing which I later rebelled at. Somehow though I don't miss the bright lights that the likes of Britney Spears and Paris Hilton have enjoyed. Maybe I really am just an old-fashioned girl at heart.
My dad always liked 'Dief' because he brought Western seats to to his party - something no other Prime Minister has ever done with much success. He also speaks highly of McKenzie King but that was before my time so I know little about him.

4:45 PM  
Blogger Dr. Deb said...

Enjoyed reading about you - and would place myself in a similar category. I have also seen people "glide" on fortune. But I believe that karma has a way of catching up with them. There are people who are beacons and fire burning stars, but that comes with a price to pay for as well. I think success can be measured in many others ways, as you say. So, I'll take my quiet life with my loving hubby and child, the simple superlatives I create for myself and find satisfaction in the small world I live in. And I'm sure you feel the same way. We can sleep at night knowing who we are.

~Deb

5:17 PM  
Blogger Voyager said...

Well I think you're sui generis.
V.

6:44 PM  
Blogger thailandchani said...

I've noticed an unseemly similarity between most group dynamics and high school. I was not "in" or "out". I was a loner who recognized on some level that seeking political position within the herd wasn't worth doing. It was probably damaging in terms of proper socialization but, really, it just seemed too hollow.

In college, I studied sociology as a way of trying to understand the dynamics. I dutifully got my degree and still don't understand it.

I've always sought my own way, being a true eccentric, until I found a "group" I *wanted* to join which didn't occur until I went to Thailand. Once I found that, the rest was rather seamless.

7:24 PM  
Blogger Tanya Brown said...

I wasn't part of the "in" crowd in high school either. It wasn't fun at the time, but in retrospect I have no regrets. Most of the prom queen/popular types just haven't fared that well. Many of them are still stuck in that crummy little town or a similar place, with the memory of their senior year of high school the highlight of their lives.

High school trig was useful, by the way. I met my husband in that class (much to our mutual embarrassment; it's such a cliche). It's also been handy for planning construction work and, well, I have a minor in math.

7:50 PM  
Blogger meggie said...

Our New Zealand High Schools were vastly different places to yours. We had no Proms, & it was a fairly egalitarian society, & we had no real 'inner circle' There were circles of 'cool students' but there were may equal ones. That sounds ridiculous now, but it was true back in the day, as 'they' say.
I shudder to recall. I was never an outcast, though I considered myself a non joiner, & I did rather well,in friendship stakes, as well as academically. I would never, never, attend a reunion!!

10:56 PM  
Blogger Casdok said...

A great post! :)

11:58 PM  
Blogger jmb said...

I went to an all girls high school so it wasn't so bad. We tended to accept each other and since we wore a school uniform there wasn't much difference in us that way.

You know most of us are mediocraties, especially in our own minds.

12:08 AM  
Blogger Lily said...

I was not in the inner circle...and that's something I experienced all the way through school, not just the last four years. I grew up in a small town and went to school with the same kids for thirteen years. And because my family didn't have an "important" last name, I had a brain, I wasn't all that pretty (really, what normal twelve year old is??), and I verbalized the stupidity I witnessed, I wasn't really liked by the "cool kids."

That's okay though. I never wanted to be part of a group that would exclude others based on that kinda stuff. Even today, some of my peers/colleagues do the same kind of thing. It's sad that some people never move on and accept others for who they are.

I do think there is life after high school though, a different life even--if you desire it. If you are willing to work hard, good things will come your way. I mean, I'm no longer the quiet little bookworm of my younger days. Instead, I'm a quiet and successful bookworm. It's all good. ;)

4:30 AM  
Blogger beachgirl said...

Hi Ian,
Good post. My kids say that in their day I would be a freak. I was band, choir and drama club. Not the in crowd by any measure. Just the creative one. Personally I could get out of class for everything. I was busy. Not athletic. Not a cheer leader. Thank God. But I had fun. I wasn't a great student though. A severe learning disability. But I was in the upper half of my class. Makes me wonder what everyone else was doing or not doing. ;-}

Now for cheer leaders. I can still spot one now. How sad is that. I have found myself thru the years asking several woman that I found annoying if they were a cheer leader. The answer is always yes. Yikes. And they always smile when they say it like it was a huge accomplishment.

And you can always spot an ex football player. I won't even go there. Still won't. Neither will my daughter.

Have an awesome day.

Happy New Year!!!

4:58 AM  
Blogger Ellee Seymour said...

"our patterns are set at an early age, and the key to future happiness rests solely with our ability to see ourselves in a positive light and screw what anybody else thinks".

What a true statement, but easier said than done sometimes, people can be so cruel.

7:54 AM  
Blogger AlieMalie said...

well Ian, prom balloting starts tomorrow in the states! if you could vote here, who would you choose?

8:06 AM  
Blogger CS said...

I wasn't one of the cheerleader/prom queen popular students. But I had great friends, I was active in lots of things, made good grades, and everyone in the school knew and liked me. For the most part, I really enjoyed high school. At any rate, it sure beat the hell out of being at home.

5:15 PM  
Blogger Jazz said...

I was a geek in HS. So far from the ass light that I never even had a glimpse of it. Luckily things got better and I like to imagine that it was downhill after HS for the select few. I know it probably wasn't but damn, I can hope can't I?

1:17 PM  
Blogger heartinsanfrancisco said...

I'm just catching up on a lot of posts because I was in total non-blog mode for too long.

I believe that your theory is correct except that it starts even earlier than high school. Parents determine how well their child will succeed by either giving him confidence or making sure she doesn't develop it. Natural ability has less to do with success than self-confidence.

Oddly, I was a prom queen in three high schools, yet I always felt like an outsider because my family gave extremely preferential treatment to my brother. I felt so deeply inadequate that I believed my apparent popularity was just because people felt sorry for me.

Now I believe that my peers saved my life and for that, I look back on high school with deep gratitude, although I would not repeat it for anything.

11:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home