Saturday, January 12, 2008

Life of toil in the tall trees



As I sat down one evening,


'Twas in a small cafe;


A fifty-year old waitress


To me these words did say:


I see you are a logger,


And not just a common bum,


'Cause no one but a loggerStirs coffee with his thumb.

Arguably the second most popular Monty Python song after ‘Spam’ would be the ‘Lumberjack Song’. Deservedly so. However, the song makes reference to the vast forests of Vancouver Island, where I live. My picky point about this is nobody who toils in the bush on Vancouver Island is called a ‘lumberjack’. He is a logger. Nor is he a ‘forester’, that’s fancy-schmantzy academic talk. He again is a logger!

Logging was the mainstay of British Columbia for decades. Millionaires were made, and vast empires were formed from the labours of those who carry out one of the most dangerous jobs on the planet. The death and injury toll, even today, is hideous. Few would be the people on the west coast of BC who did not know at least one person who’d died in the bush.

Loggers are a mighty tough breed. It’s a bleak and lonely life, and they have to be tough to take it. They also have to accept a lot of bleak loneliness in their isolation in the camps.

Yet, there was always a certain allure for young bucks. They disregarded the ‘old guys’ (sometimes in their 40s) who walked with limps and were missing assorted fingers, and who were destined to be invalided out because their backs wouldn’t take the toil any longer, and their livers wouldn’t take the trips to town any longer.

Lots of my friends became loggers, and others went to the bush (to the ‘weeds’) for summer jobs when they were in university. They began as ‘whistle punks’ and if they did well they might become ‘chokermen’ all in the course of a summer. I didn’t go logging, but the forest industry paid my way through university as I got a job in a mill. A little less dangerous and I didn’t need to face the isolation.

The forest industry in BC is now a shambles. A shambles due to exploitation of the resource and hideous mismanagement both by the corporate world (most of it is now multinational, which means they don’t really give a damn about maintaining the resource), and by government. Latest blow has been the hugely destructive pine-beetle devastation of the province’s interior. What will come of that is anybody’s guess.

And bearing those thoughts in mind, I thought our loggers deserved a nod this morning. Chew a wad of ‘snoose’ for me.

And now for something completely different.

---------------------------------------------------------------

In a soft and subtle Clint voice I could request someone to make my day, especially if they “feel lucky.” But, despite the title of this award accorded me by the inimitable cs (which makes the award even more cherished) I do indeed have those bloggers who in various and often delightful ways, make my day. I look forward to their thoughts, musings and writing talents and want to (as the rules demand) pass this award onto them.

But, rules being rules, their numbers must be narrowed down to 10. That’s tough because if you’re on my blogroll you do make my day. Furthermore, cs selected a number I would have. So, here you are in all your glory: My 10. Check them out. They’ll probably make your day, too.

Rise Out of Me

Ellee Seymour

Leesa

jmb

Voyager

Heart in San Francisco

Casdok

Liz

Merely Me

Wolfgirl


And, for the rest of you, after this arbitrary selection, catch you next time.

Labels:

22 Comments:

Blogger CS said...

"I put on women's clothing, and hvae buttered scones for tea!"

I recognize some but not all on your list, so I will check them out over the course of the weekend.

4:13 PM  
Blogger Echomouse said...

Over the recent years, I've read about the logging industry here and there. You're right, it's being destroyed slowly but surely. Somehow, I have more compassion for those working in that industry than those who work in automotive, which is also losing steam.

Thanks for the list of good reads! I'll check them out.

7:51 PM  
Blogger Janice Thomson said...

Good list Ian - I've been to all of them. Congrats on your well deserved award!
My daughter lives in Prince George - it is shocking to see the city being slowly but surely denuded of trees. They cut theirs down a few years ago when this first started - at night you could actually hear the beetles there were so many of them. It has had a devastating effect on the logging industry. Many mills have closed and the few remaining have only a few years left till all the 'blue wood' is used too. (the beetles leave a blue stain behind after chewing into the wood)

8:30 PM  
Blogger jmb said...

It is the saddest thing, this pine beetle infestation.
Good post Ian and what a surprise to get to the end and get an award.
You certainly make my day so congratulations and thanks for thinking of me for the award.

12:00 AM  
Blogger geewits said...

I have a former ex sort of brother-in-law in Prince George who is a re-forester and he was the saddest person I ever met. He told me that no matter how hard he worked planting, that he could never catch up to the trees coming down. I NEVER saw that guy smile.

1:13 AM  
Blogger Hageltoast said...

I love Wolfgrrrl, will check out some of the others thanks.
I love Monty Python, on of my favourites is the Philosophers.
I think mismanagement and obsession with quick profit has seen a lot of regions ruined.

1:15 AM  
Blogger Casdok said...

Congratulations on your award and was surpried to see my name on your list - thank you!

1:56 AM  
Blogger Deb Sistrunk Nelson said...

CONGRATS on your award. I enjoyed imagining you with a Clint voice. :-)

Thanks for the list. These are, indeed, good sites.

Happy New Year, my friend.

6:10 AM  
Blogger Synchronicity said...

awww shuckaroo...thank you my dear friend and i am anxious to check out the others on your list as well.

9:16 AM  
Blogger heartinsanfrancisco said...

Ian, thank you so much for this award. Red Mojo of Half a Bubble Off already gave it to me, but you very much make my day, too. Do I sound like Clint? (I don't LOOK like him.)

I read your tribute to loggers with great interest because of their fabled lifestyle, and because so many of our world's resources are being mismanaged by corporate interests which, as you stated, don't care about causing harm because they don't feel personally affected. (Of course they are, ultimately. Everything is connected. But they don't suffer the ill effects of careless practices as soon as those who live in the area.)

Your writing never fails to interest, enlighten or amuse me, sometimes all three at once.

9:43 AM  
Blogger Hermes said...

The Pine Beetle problem is worse than most people think. They are inhabiting the trees here at the northern tip of the Williston Resevoire. Most recent studies don't have them coming up this far. They can fly higher than we thought and Alberta may be in serious danger soon. The scariest thought is that a fire in the wrong place will burn half the province down because of all the dead wood. Logging in BC is on its way out. Sad for those who rely on it for their livelihood... which is almost all of us.

11:16 AM  
Blogger laughingwolf said...

i agree, logging and fishing are about the most dangerous of jobs... dad was one of the former, amongst other trades... mother's kin, the latter

11:48 AM  
Blogger laughingwolf said...

oooops! grats to the winners!

11:49 AM  
Blogger Dr. Deb said...

Monty Python is always good for a laugh. And yes, I imagine the life of a logger is very isolating and lonely. Kudos on the blog award. I check out some of the bloggers on your list already!!

1:55 PM  
Blogger MarmiteToasty said...

ok, so ya not called lumberjacks as us Brits always thought, ya called loggers, but please please say you do wear those checked shirts? :)

x

2:56 PM  
Blogger kimber said...

Even when I witness an ugly clear cut, I can not blame the men and women who work in the woods, because I believe the heartless spectre of corporate greed has destroyed our forests; the possibility of responsible management (and I do believe it's possible) loses to the almighty dollar every time.

Thank you for adding me to your list -- so happy to know that you enjoy my writing, as I always enjoy yours! I look forward to checking out the others!

3:59 PM  
Blogger Liz Dwyer said...

Why thank you, Ian! This makes me feel so much better after yesterday's iPod disaster! I suppose it's against the rules to give it back to you? :)

11:04 PM  
Blogger Ellee Seymour said...

Ian, what an interesting read and I feel extremely honoured, and very grateful with my award, it's a lovely way to start the new year. I shall certainly check out some of the other reads too.

12:06 PM  
Blogger riseoutofme said...

Mr. Lidster ... I am honoured Sir! Thank you.

1:44 PM  
Blogger meggie said...

Your posts always make my day Ian!

Congrats on your award.
To all the others, congrats too!

3:19 PM  
Blogger Voyager said...

Why thank you Ian! You make my day too.
V.

9:54 PM  
Blogger nick said...

Hi Ian. Have only just caught up with your blog via Liz. Very interested in this post as I took the Rocky Mountaineer during the summer and they explained how the pine beetle was devastating the forests and pointed out all the dead and blue trees. They said that because of global warming and the rise in temperatures the beetles now survived over the winter whereas previously the cold would have killed them. And Getoff says they are spreading farther then the experts predicted. Quite horrific.

11:44 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home