Thursday, January 17, 2008

It all depends on the situation

When I was brushing my teeth one morning I was struck by a thought at the time of the rinsing part of the procedure. The thought originated with the bathroom glass. I picked it up and held it to the light, and was mutely fascinated by the fact it was just barely translucent. It was a veteran of many brushings, water residue, and the use of more than one person. That it needed washing went without saying, but the more important point is we, members of a household who live in close proximity aren’t always entirely fastidious.

The bathroom glass is an example of situational esthetics.

If I were to go to the kitchen cupboard and extricate a glass from within and it was an ugly, scummy distasteful looking receptacle, I would thrust it from me, wonder how it got into the cupboard in such a state, and find another, cleaner glass.

That’s why the bathroom glass situation is, well, situational. One expects a bathroom glass to be a little less than perfect. In fact, you can walk into anybody else’s bathroom and -- after you finish inspecting their medicine chest to see what kind of addictive drugs they’ve had prescribed, or are abusing -- look at their glass. It may be even worse than yours. And, even if their glass is pretty ratty looking, you probably don’t think less of them as human beings, and will continue to assume they shower and change their undies daily. On the other hand, there is no way you're going to use 'their' dirty glass. You'll stick with your own dirty glass.

From the time we are children, we are taught that certain things are nice and certain things are nasty. What makes them nasty? The divine decree of Mom, usually. Therefore, we learn that picking one’s nose is nasty. Everybody does it, but we reach a certain age and try to avoid doing so in front of others. Likewise, breaking wind. Just not acceptable in public in well-regulated households, and should such a thing happen accidentally – like on a pretty girls doorstep at the conclusion of an otherwise splendid first date – we are mortified. We’re mortified because we have been taught that this is not the right situation in which such an eruption should transpire.

Take this case of situationality: A fine fellow walks down the street and he spies a wonderful looking woman. The sort of woman a chap would like to get to know better. His mind races, and he thinks this is the sort of woman I would like to know as well as I could know anyone. I would like to hug her and kiss her, kiss her very deeply, and then to make mad love to her. That is what I would like to do. So, let us say that he, in his lust-fuelled mind, has indulged in all those intimacies. And let’s say that same beautiful woman has noticed our man ogling her. So, she turns, smiles and walks over to him. She looks more luscious than ever when she gets up close. She speaks.

“I watched you watching me,” she says with a seductive smile. “I think you are very handsome and very sexy looking. And I was wondering, I’ve finished chewing my gum now, and I was thinking I could give it to you to chew for a while. Wouldn't that be sexy?”

His lustful feelings would vanish in a minute and he, who wanted to kiss her deeply, is repelled by the thought of chewing the spearmint she’s been munching on for the past hour. Situational esthetics again.

We will permit a cat to lick a child. Would we permit the child to lick a cat? Why not? The same bacteria are being transferred in both cases. The cat has been licking the baby’s fingers; the baby sticks her fingers into her mouth. But, children don’t lick cats. It’s not done. It offends.

Other examples of situational esthetics:

* We delight in eating escargot (at least some do). Escargot is snails. We would be repulsed at being offered slugs as a viable alternative. It’s the same animal, but without the shell. But, no matter how much garlic butter we might slather on them, slugs are out of the question. Likewise, we revel in seeing lobster, crab and prawns on a menu, but would be horrified to see scorpion or tarantula on the bill of fare, in even the finest restaurant.

* We demand that public businesses like restaurants and shops provide loos for both men and women, yet both sexes use the same potty at home. Some especially world folk don’t even bother closing the door. I’m not that worldy.. I think Europeans are a little less anal (if that’s an appropriate term) in this regard.

* We can spit without hesitation at a dental appointment, but few are those above the age of fourteen who would do such a thing in the street – thank God.

*
We permit a doctor, who may be a perfect stranger, to become extremely familiar with the most intimate areas of our bodies, and do things we wouldn’t permit even a really, really good friend to do, and we don’t suffer (much) embarrassment as a consequence.

* We delude ourselves into thinking an airline hostess has a more glamorous job than a restaurant waitress. Likewise, we tell ourselves that those who travel on airplanes are a superior class of people to those who must take the bus. Bus passengers may be poorer but, considering some of the trashy people I have flown with, they aren’t necessarily inferior. just because they are forced to go Greyhound.

What are some situational esthetics situations with which you’re familiar?


Oh, and by the way, I really think the bathroom glass is due for a washing..

Labels:

16 Comments:

Blogger thailandchani said...

Very true! And there's no explaining it! I am anal to an annoying degree about anything in the bathroom or the kitchen - yet I will live amongst clutter than most human beings can even begin to fathom.

It's organized clutter to me. I know where everything is.. but it looks wretched!

2:56 PM  
Blogger andrea said...

Or "context is everything."

3:22 PM  
Blogger Echomouse said...

"The divine decree of Mom" LOL That's so true!

Great piece.

My example is my own house I guess. I'm fine with a few dishes in the sink. But everytime I'm at my brother's place, I want to wash his dishes and clean his sink. Must be my Mom's influence again...lol

3:35 PM  
Blogger Eastcoastdweller said...

As usual, a great post, a get-you-thinking kind of post.

I might take that proferred gum. But that's just me.

I wonder if people whose situational ethics are less distinct, are happier than people who live in a world of rigid boundaries and euphemisms.

4:37 PM  
Blogger Eastcoastdweller said...

How about this one: Put four strangers close together in a room, maybe the waiting room of a business or some such place, a nice place. Chances are, they'll at least say a few words to each other, eventually.

But put them all in an elevator and they won't even look at each other.

4:41 PM  
Blogger Dumdad said...

Certainly food for thought here - especially escargots. I hadn't thought about the slug/snail thing. Gawd, I hope you haven't ruined one of my favourites dishes!

We eat boiled eggs happily but not boiled sheep's eyes...

You're spot-on about the bathroom glass - and why is it me who always washes it, never the kids?

2:12 AM  
Blogger laughingwolf said...

ha! good points...

btw - it's been determined most toilet bowls are cleaner than kitchen sinks... makes one wonder

3:47 AM  
Blogger Leslie Hawes said...

http://www.amazon.ca/Anatomy-Disgust-William-Ian-Miller/dp/0674031555
I read this book a few years ago, and it examines the exact concept you posit.
Very interesting post.

11:53 AM  
Blogger meggie said...

Another great post Ian.
A situation I thought of is, if you accidentally drink from someone elses glass- you may happily kiss them later, but dont like the idea of drinking from their glass or cup.

7:25 PM  
Blogger Vic said...

Some more from Mexico:

It's ok to walk around this conservative town here in skimpy bathing costumes, but you wouldn't be caught dead doing so at home

It's ok to go topless at a bar on a beach (in a catholic country), although you wouldn't bare any skin in Canada

10:00 AM  
Blogger Christine Thresh said...

I have some plastic wrapped clear plastic glasses on a shelf in the bathroom. When the bathroom glass currently in use gets to THAT point (you know what that point is), it is thrown away and a new glass takes its place.
This puzzles me. Why was the bathroom glass ok yesterday, but today it has to go? Is the germ count higher?
My husband and I both use the bathroom glass, but I don't drink from his glass at dinner (oh, maybe a tiny sip, but that doesn't count).

11:59 AM  
Blogger heartinsanfrancisco said...

I buy disposable bathroom cups, despite the fact that this may not be as ecologically green as the mold scum on your bathroom glass.

There are countries in which slugs are considered human food. (As well as countries where humans ARE considered food.) Context is indeed everything.

8:38 PM  
Blogger jmb said...

This one had me laughing out loud. So true but most of us never would consider these things out loud.

10:40 PM  
Blogger Wenderina said...

I think you've struck on something here - it's almost like some twisted form of hypocrisy.

Similar to echomouse, I recently went to a friend's house and she is self-proclaimed domestically challenged. Granted her house WAS extreme, but when I got home and was explaining to my husband how I had to clean out her cupboards and MY GOD the state of them, I stopped in my tracks as I opened our own silverware drawer and suddenly noticed that the tray holding the silver was filled with crumbs, dust, and other unmentionables.

Funny that what horrified and saddened me in her home, was completely ignored in my own.

3:28 PM  
Blogger Wendy C. said...

I would never put my husband's tooth brush in my mouth, no matter how well washed-off it was, but it does not bother me in the slightest to take a bite of cake off his fork...

Come to think of it, I did not find it terribly upsetting when my small children had a potty accident in their pants - but if one of my peers did, I am afraid I would be scarred for life!

6:52 PM  
Blogger Cycling Goddess said...

Again, great post. I found myself nodding in agreement to everything you said... down to the bathroom glass that will get a good scrubbing the minute I get home tonight. Of course, mine is stainless steel so it's hidden in some ways but still the telltale sign of toothpaste is just a tad too much...

As Andrea said... context is everything... so true...

9:22 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home