Tuesday, January 22, 2008

The 'Reaper' never rests, it seems


In my ongoing quest to keep you informed of those things that make life just a little less savory, it falls to me to keep you updated about all that is wretched.

I’m not alone in my resolve here, since the media, both print and electronic, as well as the scientific and medical ‘research’ communities are working diligently to bolster our obsessive-compulsive complexes and to render us just a little less optimistic and hopeful.

I mean, what is this? Is it some sort of boomer realization that we too (just like all the generations that preceded us) are also mortal? Yes, just like everybody who went before, we too are going to die someday. And, if we don’t die directly, we are going to succumb to manifold distresses and chronic ailments, physical, mental and emotional.

So, why are we such whiners about this? Why does the media believe we are all paranoid snivelling cowards and therefore they must enable these insecurities. Why have we lost our ‘shit happens’ impulse and replaced it with “please make the world safe and don’t let shit happen to me.”

Anyway, as I said, my quest in this regard is to keep you informed. So, here are the offerings of the (so-called) Life section of a local newspaper yesterday:

Toxoplasma tied to schizophrenia: According to one of them studies, and as reported in the American Journal of Psychiatry, the old toxoplasma gondii parasite carried by cats and farm animals will turn you schizo. Yet another reason to avoid cleaning the litter box.

Pollution linked to heart attack: Kind of a well-duh finding, but it attests, according to a UCLA study that the smallest amounts of particulate from vehicle emissions triggers heart plaque build-up. Hmm, a UCLA finding. UCLA is in LA. Why hasn’t everybody in that car-obsessed city succumbed to the ‘big one?’

Birth height suicide related: Bad news for Tom Cruise, because it seems, according to a study reported in the Journal of Epidemiology and Community Health that short male babies run twice the risk of violent suicide in adulthood. Hasn’t it already been said that “short people got no reason to live.”

Aspirin resistant patients at risk: If the emissions don’t blow your ticker asunder, a Canadian study attests that being resistant to Aspirin makes patients four times more likely to died from a heart attack or stroke. “So, Mr. Jones, take two Tylenol and call me in the morning if you’re still alive.”

MDs differ on depression: What? MDs having divergent opinions? How can that be? Oh, it’s one of those male-female sawbones issues. Acceding to the Society for Women’s Health Research, female doctors are more sympathetic to women’s tendency to depression during two key periods, puberty and just before menopause. Teenage girls bitchy? Naah. I’ll make no comment about menopause because I am contentedly married.

Anyway, have a really nice day.

_________________________________________________________


But, since we are looking at mortality, I have another observation, and this is a sad one. I have to note the passing of the splendiferous Suzanne Pleshette. She was only 70 and was, in my esteem, the most dazzling brunette in the entertainment business.

And then there was that ‘voice’. She had a speaking tone that would put Lauren Bacall to shame, and perhaps one that was only matched by late English actress Joan Greenwood.

I once told a favorite aunt of mine that she had a voice like Suzanne Pleshette’s. “I take that as a supreme compliment,” said Auntie. “Now, if I only looked like Suzanne Pleshette, I’d really be happening.”

Anyway, Suzanne did not have a stunning film career, but it was on TV she found her forte. Brilliantly matched with the inimitable Bob Newhart, there was never any doubt that the two of them had a brilliant love life, as there were hints galore in the show.

And, I can still hear her uttering in mock dismay: “Ooooh, Bob.”

Labels:

15 Comments:

Blogger thailandchani said...

If you really want to read some paranoid stuff, check out the Coast to Coast AM site. In addition to all the things you mentioned, we are also approaching the Apocalypse and the Anti-Christ has already been born.

:)

11:35 AM  
Blogger Tanya Brown said...

I was sad to read of Pleshette's passing. Another good one gone.

As for dying, I have no intention of doing so. Toward that end, I'm staying away from litter boxes.

11:51 AM  
Blogger laughingwolf said...

suzanne had the voice, and look, indeed! rip :(

latest on caffeine and pregnancy: more than 200 mg/day is not good for the baby... really?

12:16 PM  
Blogger Tai said...

Well, my only take on the whole thing is it ain't nothin' good fer nobody.
So I'm just going to keep doing exactly as I please and keep my fingers crossed.
Spidergirl told me just last weekend that if they discover some aspects of smoking is good for you, she'll be really ticked off.
Glad red wine is okay now!

12:29 PM  
Blogger meggie said...

It seemed when we were young we did think about dying. A girlfriend & I can't really believe we are still alive!
Last week coffee would kill you.
This week coffee is very good for your longevity...

1:36 PM  
Blogger jmb said...

Only 70, that is very young. Pleshette was beautiful and did have a fabulous voice as I recall.

You just can't worry about all those things they tell you in the paper. Just keep on keeping on is the best thing to do.

5:57 PM  
Blogger Hermes said...

As long as you put a weapon in my hands, launch me in a skiff filled with all of my stuff and shoot flaming arrows at me as I drift away, I'm ready to go any time the Reaper calls. But he'd better bring friends cuz I'm going to try to take him with me.

9:34 PM  
Blogger Echomouse said...

I've always said, we're all just killing each other. The sooner we accept it, the easier it will be on our minds and bodies.

I loved Suzanne Pleshette too and was really sad to hear she passed. Then today, Heath Ledger. I don't know what's going on but it's been nothing but bad news and sad happenings to kick off 2008. Ugh.

9:39 PM  
Blogger geewits said...

I didn't realize that the fear-based culture of the U.S. had seeped its slimy self into your lovely country.

I, too, was very sad at the death of Suzanne Pleshette. I have the original "Bob Newhart Show" on DVD and always loved their odd relationship. She was a great foil for him, but it's hard to believe he could have snagged such a beauty!

10:38 PM  
Blogger Casdok said...

We certainly are all going to die of something!

12:29 AM  
Blogger Eurodog said...

The tulips are out; it's global warming. The birds have premature babies; ditto. The vegetables are tasteless; ditto. Using aluminium foil leads to dementia. Red meat to heart disease. Don't go out after dark; you'll get stabbed to death. Listen to your MP3 player even if you are middle-aged, right out. If you drink too much red wine, it's not good for you. If you do not have one or two glasses a day; it's not good either. So what do we do? Who do we listen to? Where has common sense gone? What is wrong with us? Why can't we see the wood for the trees? What's the panic? I do not know the answer. Do you, Ian?

3:03 AM  
Blogger Jazz said...

Suzanne Pleshette is dead??!!

I just finished watching the first season of Newhart on DVD.


A for the whole death thing - meh, something's gonna get ya so, whatever... What ticks me off is that my tax dollars are paying for these stupid studies.

7:03 AM  
Blogger A said...

A true loss. She's wonderful. Thanks for this tribute, Ian. She deserves to be remembered as the wonderful person she was.

2:39 PM  
Blogger Cycling Goddess said...

Yes, RIP Suzanne, you were great.

I've made the decision a long time ago that when my time is due, nothing I do or don't do will change that. So studies be damned, I'm continuing to live well. I just don't want to depend on a machine to keep me alive so I'm making healthier choices :) but bring on the red wine!

9:28 AM  
Blogger CS said...

What about short females? Because I think being short is a whole different phenomenon depending on gender. In women it is usully just coded as cute, so no cause for depression. And the toxoplasmosaschozophrenia link seems more like another reason not to have cats.

5:02 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home