Saturday, January 26, 2008

It's really not so bad after all

Sometimes I use this space to embark on semi cynical diatribes and rants against all that is evil, unfair and corrupt in the world, and God knows there is lots to rail against.

At the same time, that’s life. We still (at least here in the western world), despite our travails, live in the best of all times for the greatest number of people since the beginning of humanity. Individual examples of crappiness don’t take from that basic fact.

Furthermore, I’m assuredly not a cynic. I love life, and love and the whole damn thing, and I think (despite a few episodes in my life history that have been utterly wretched) I have been preternaturally blessed. On this particular day I have a nice home, a life-partner whom I love and she loves me, an ability to put meals on the table; I have (as far as I know) decent health, no hideous habits, my sanity, am reasonably presentable and clean (clean is good), and I further know how to read, write and cipher, have a basic understanding of the laws of the land, and know what my obligations and rights as a citizen happen to be.

Not so bad, all told.

At the moment I have been requested to tabulate the findings of a two months’ study by a group of citizens, and commissioned by the mayor, looking into homelessness in the community. I have to turned this all into a handy-dandy publishable report by the end of February. In this, I have been looking at life’s realities for some people: the mentally ill, the addicted, the mentally challenged, the physically ill, the jobless and the working poor who literally have no idea where they might be sleeping tonight – on a generous friend’s sofa, or under the bridge. What, and you want to feed yourself or your children? You want heat and light?

My God, how awful such a life would be. And, all I could think was, holy shit, am I ever fortunate. Am I ever blessed.

And, in my denial of cynicism, I’d also like to say there are actual human beings that I admire immensely. People who perhaps have also come to believe that they are blessed and therefore would like to (or have in the past) extent themselves beyond their personal realms and areas of privilege to do for some others what those others may not have been able to do for themselves.

My personal heroes and heroines are too numerous to mention, but I personally know, and know of, individuals who put me to shame in their altruistic impulses to ‘give back’ in gratitude for the good hand they’ve been dealt.

Not a bad thing to do. It’s a kind of attitude of gratitude. Do you have heroes, either globally or in your own neighborhood?

Of course, none of this means that I won’t whine and bitch once in a while. But, that’s only because there are people who should be set straight about their own greed and self-indulgence.


Labels:

13 Comments:

Blogger CS said...

A good reminder, Ian. I really try to think about this frequently - that I am lucky beyond measure.

2:13 PM  
Blogger laughingwolf said...

i'm in a similar boat and continue to volunteer when and where i can....

2:26 PM  
Blogger andrea said...

I don't know where I heard it but was nonetheless shocked to hear recently that Canada's homeless population is approaching one million people. Can that be right? And are they all in the downtown east side? (OK, bad time to make jokes.)

PS Garrison Keillor is one of my heroes.

4:15 PM  
Blogger heartinsanfrancisco said...

Life is good, and it sure beats anything else we know.

4:51 PM  
Blogger jmb said...

I don't envy you this job. Life is tough for many and we need reminding how well off we really are and to be grateful.

10:39 PM  
Blogger geewits said...

We whine and bitch because we have that luxury. On my Myspace page (yeah I have one, I have a daughter and young friends) there is a place to list your heroes and I put "Volunteers." My best advice for you Ian, during this study, is don't get dragged down in the hopelessness of it, then you will not be able to help.

11:10 PM  
Blogger Ellee Seymour said...

I love that saying, it is easy to dwell on the negatives of live, I know i do it myself, I need this saying posted on my desk to remind me to stay positive.

1:01 AM  
Blogger Casdok said...

Your study sounds interesting.

I too feel fortunate in many ways, mainly that i did not have my son in another century, and that i am in a postition to help other parents.

2:07 AM  
Blogger Big Brother said...

When I went with my students to a homeless shelter to help in the kitchens, the first thought that went through my mind was "there but by the grace of god goes I." It doesn't take much to get into a situation like that but it takes a lot to get out... thanks for the reminder Ian.

5:33 AM  
Blogger Dumdad said...

Hear, hear! It's a good thing to stop every now and then and realise how lucky we are and have been. That can change suddenly, of course, and it is well to remember that.

10:42 AM  
Blogger Echomouse said...

This is something which is always on my mind. Sometimes it can take the smallest ripple in a person's life to land them on the street. Good for you taking this on.

Have you read Matthew Good's blog? He writes about this on occasion.

11:51 AM  
Blogger Vic said...

I do wish people would stop talking about "homelessness" as if it were a homogenous problem where there is one simple answer. The needs, desires and ability to respond to a particular solution vary greatly across people who fit the definition. Yes, I certainly wouldn't want such a life, and those who wish to get out of it should be helped in an appropriate way, but I wonder if some would gravitate back to the "freedom" they see (whether due to mental ilness or simply free choice) even if you "fixed" everything for them?

4:41 PM  
Blogger Jazz said...

Life is indeed good...

11:54 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home