Monday, February 11, 2008

You're the cream in my coffee

There is no joy in ‘Mudville’, mighty Starbucks is losing ground.

I was going to write ‘losing grounds’ but I thought the pun might seem a little too labored and precious.

But, back to the premise. After having reaped a goldmine in rewards since it first opened its doors to a decent coffee starved public in Seattle back in 1971, caffeine giant Starbucks is seeing things turn, if not sour, then at least troublesome.

Needless to say, Starbucks has been a success story almost on a par with Microsoft (must be something to do with all that rain in Seattle), and in subsequent years there was scarcely a street corner in the known universe that didn’t boast that familiar logo – sometimes two streetcorners right across from each other.

Yet, something has happened and for the first time in their 36-year existence, the firm is not only ‘not’ expanding, but also actually closing down some outlets. Many reasons have been attributed to this marketing ‘correction’, including outlets losing focus on what their primary objective should be – which is the purveyance of coffee and coffee confections, not breakfast, not household items, but good old ‘joe.’

Another and perhaps more important impact has, however, come from the competition – ironically, McDonald’s Restaurants, which actually turn out a decent cup of plain old coffee, now. In Canada (where Starbucks has been in operation since 1981) the stiffest competition comes from that Canuck icon, Tim Horton’s. ‘Timmy’s’ (as it’s affectionately known) is a coffee and donut outfit found across the country and in some US cities, offers up just one grade of coffee, and damn fine coffee it is. Oh, it also does lattes and that sort of stuff, but mainly it’s just Tim’s coffee. Go to any mall foodfair here and the line-up at Timmy’s will smoke Starbucks by about 10 to one. We’re loyal, we Canadians are.

The final reason (and this is one SB is taking a serious look at, considering the competition) is the fact their product is often inexcusably expensive. No, I won’t bore you by telling you how I remember when a cuppa cost a dime (it was crappy coffee), but I will tell you that spending over a buck-and-a-half for just ordinary (non-fancified) coffee is a little steep, especially when other folks are selling it for far less.

But, I like Starbucks. I like their robust coffee, and I like the feel of the outlets. Mainly, however, I admire SB. I respect them for the fact they awakened people to the fact there are grades in coffee and that the consumer has a right to demand a quality product, not just swill.

I really noticed this change when I was in England last fall. When I lived there in the early 1980s, the coffee was atrocious, and in many homes people actually used (shudder!) instant. But now, in a place where SB is as ubiquitous as elsewhere, virtually any outlet on the high street serves quality coffee.

As for me, I like plain old ‘mud’. I like the taste of coffee (actually I love it and crave it), and SB raised the bar, and for that the firm must be commended. No, I’m not that big into the other coffee fabrications. Lattes and cappuccinos are, I think, for people who don’t really like coffee. Much as syrupy cocktails are for people who don’t like booze.

And I know that regardless of what happens to the fortunes of Starbucks, their legacy will be that I’ll always be able to get a good cup of coffee wherever I go.

Labels: , , ,

13 Comments:

Blogger geewits said...

My husband was just talking about this the other day. You guys must read the same stuff. I've never been in a Starbucks and only drink coffee rarely and it has been well-doctored with Amaretto and Kahlua (and cream).Does that mean I don't like coffee or booze?

11:26 AM  
Blogger Jazz said...

We’re loyal, we Canadians are.

We might be loyal, but Timmy's isn't Canadian anymore, it was sold to Wendy's a few years ago...

As for Starbucks, I don't like coffee, but they do make that oh so incredibly rare thing, halfway decent hot chocolate. Only half way, mind you but that's way better than most.

11:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I do like SB. I also like a good coffee free of confections as I like my alcohol. Neat, strong and true. What a delightful tribute to a decent company.

12:14 PM  
Blogger Sugar. said...

I only ever go to SB when I am in a Chapters. Can't go wrong with coffee and books!

2:37 PM  
Blogger meggie said...

We have SB here in Oz, but we were not impressed with their coffee. I only drink plain black, do I notice if the coffee is not great.

4:32 PM  
Blogger Rositta said...

When I'm abroad I usually buy 1/2 pound of coffee to take home to (wherever were staying) and get to use the free wifi at the same time. That alone makes it worthwhile...ciao

5:51 PM  
Blogger Hermes said...

I agree SB raised the bar and, for that, I am grateful. I have to disagree about the Espresso drinks. Espresso is real coffee... "damned real" my caffeine-elevated heart forces me to say. And a little steamed milk on top never hurt anyone. If done right, the espresso taste is not drowned. Just don't add any sugar.

6:13 PM  
Blogger heartinsanfrancisco said...

If Starbucks is losing groundS in Canada, they are gaining them in California. It is not unusual to see them on four corners of the same intersection, which is enough to make me avoid them on principle alone.

I prefer small, individually owned coffee shops, most of which have fallen to Starbucks like small towns to Wal-Mart.

1:16 AM  
Blogger Tai said...

I'm just impressed they were able to take a small value item and turn it into a billion dollar industry!
(I don't love their coffee, I have to say, but I DO stand back in awe of their marketing skills. Wow. There's a force to be reckoned with.)

8:25 AM  
Blogger Rhea said...

I'm not a coffee drinker, but I do appreciate one thing about Starbucks. The company seems to encourage or at least tolerate loitering. That means it's a place where friends can gather, as community meeting spots are getting harder and harder to find.

8:59 AM  
Blogger Casdok said...

Well you wont catch me in a McDs, what ever thier coffee is like!!

10:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like Starbucks for their hot chocolate. Almost any coffee place, really. Although I drink coffee nearly every morning at home, I always get hot chocolate when I'm at a coffee shop.

1:01 PM  
Blogger Echomouse said...

A neighbour had a spiffy looking paper cup of coffee that said JOE on it. I asked what that was. He said it was from Burger King and it is the best coffee ever. Could have knocked me over with a feather. I had no idea.

I love Starbucks too. They'll survive I think :)

9:02 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home