Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Everybody had a good time; everybody let their hair down

Tomorrow (or today if you’re not reading this until tomorrow) is my birthday. So, in keeping with the spirit of the occasion, I am anticipating lots of firm hugs and wet kisses (from females who might drop by; from males, a firm and gentlemanly handshake will do) to mark the occasion.

I’ve never really liked birthdays. I didn’t even like them much when I was a kid. Oh, I liked being a year older because that put me a year closer to ‘freedom’. But, as old Kris once opined in song: “Freedom’s just another word for nothing left to lose,” I came to realize that freedom was nothing to do with being unfettered from a less-than-savory parental household. Freedom can only be found in the heart and soul. I’m not quite there yet, but I continue to work on the concept.

As I’ve grown older I can only marvel at how rapidly the years have accelerated, with each decade after 20 passing twice as quickly as the one preceding it – in my mind, at least. I have to now accept, unless I am some sort of genetic marvel, that I have considerably less time left than what has gone before. Yet, so much of before seems like only yesterday. I think I’m OK with all of that. I’d better be, since there is no alternative. But, as a friend recently said: “As long as your line of vision has you looking at the flowers rather than the bulbs, you must be doing OK.”

I ran into a female friend yesterday who told me that she is having a ‘part-ay’ – a par-tay to mark her 60th birthday. She’s even rented a hall and a karaoke machine. My blood ran cold at the karaoke reference. My mind went to a rather debauched evening in a Honolulu bar, and I have no desire to go back to that interlude in time. Anyway, she wants Wendy and I to come to her party. We’ll go because the birthday girl is a dear and wonderful soul whom we both love.

But, I don’t want to do that sort of thing for my birthday. I want it to pass unobtrusively – I think. It likely will.

And I console myself in the knowledge that I am only a day older than I was yesterday, and carry on from there.

But, in terms of getting a lovely acknowledgment, or two. Two of my most cherished blogger pals have given me awards. First, the beautiful and brave casdok of the Mother of Shrek blog, accorded me a Blogger of the World acknowledgment and that made me feel very proud. I love casdok, and I admire her and I wish I had half her courage to be able to maintain her wonderful grace and humor despite adversity. Visit her. You won’t be disappointed for a second. You’ll be as enchanted as I was when I first came to call.

And Heart in San Francisco, of Guilty with an Explanation equally beautiful and brave. I’ve never seen a photo of this cherished person, but I know she’s beautiful at all the levels a person should be. She’s also tough, and brave and sometimes thinks uncannily like I do. Her bonus is she gets to live in San Francisco, one of my favorite cities. She is also one of my longest duration blogger buddies, so it’s appropriate that I got this award.

I know I should be very ambitious and pass both of these on. I’m not being lazy, but a huge deadline is looming, so I’ll have to catch up with you later. I already know who I deem to be ‘bloggers of the world’ and ‘Best Buddies.’ Bet you do, too. Feel free to help yourselves to the awards.

Labels:

16 Comments:

Blogger kimber said...

Ian, may your birthday be a happy one!

11:35 AM  
Blogger Casdok said...

Big sloppy wet kiss for your birthday!
And thank you for your very kind words! :)

11:37 AM  
Blogger Rositta said...

Well I won't send wet kisses, but I will wish you a very happy birthday...ciao

12:26 PM  
Blogger meggie said...

Many Happy Returns of your Birthday!
It is already 21st here!
Hope you spend your day just the way you like.
I never wanted parties, & also hated going to other children's parties as a child!
Karaoke...shudder...

1:47 PM  
Blogger Janice Thomson said...

Ah my friend - so good to be here again! And so close to your birthday too! I hope it is a good day for you - perhaps we should celebrate with another coffee as mine is coming too :D

2:53 PM  
Blogger heartinsanfrancisco said...

Happy birthday, Ian!

I love birthdays, even though they are often disappointing. I consider them my personal New Year and I love the idea that all the previous ones are incorporated into the present.

Thank you for saying such lovely things about me. I have posted pics of myself on my blog - the most recent, several posts back, was taken when I was four. :)

3:49 PM  
Blogger Hermes said...

Virtual gentlemanly handshake! Happy birthday. But don't shy from the karaoke. I recently regaled an audience with some Steppenwolf and I was stone sobre, I swear. Everyone needs to act like a dolt once in a while. Keeps things in perspective.

8:51 PM  
Blogger jmb said...

Happy Birthday Ian, have a great day. I can't give you a real hug but send you a virtual one.

It is sobering to realize that there are fewer days before one than have passed so you have to make sure that each one counts!

Go enjoy the party, you can lip sync and play air guitar.

12:04 AM  
Blogger Lily said...

I hope you have a wonderful birthday!

2:52 AM  
Blogger Jazz said...

Happy Birthday Ian. May it be good in all aspects.

Funny yesterday was Mr. Jazz's birthday.

All the best guys seem to be born at the end of February.

6:36 AM  
Blogger Echomouse said...

Shoot, I'm late to this.

Happy Birthday!!!! :)

9:25 AM  
Blogger andrea said...

Happy Birthday, Ian. D'oh! I just saw that it was yesterday. I've been very out-of-the-loop. Hope it was exactly what you wanted.

10:34 AM  
Blogger Dumdad said...

Bon anniversaire!

And I said that with a firm and manly handshake.

10:51 AM  
Blogger Tai said...

ooooH!

Firm Hug!!

Wet Kiss!!

Happy Birthday Ian!!!

9:42 PM  
Blogger geewits said...

Happy Birthday oldtimer! I've noticed recently that weeks seem to be about 3 days long. That's just weird. I haope you had a great day and it didn't go by too fast.

9:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy birthday, friend!!!

6:01 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home