Saturday, March 01, 2008

Emerging from the mines at last

Today is a red-letter day. That's because it’s done.

By 'it', I mean my month-long project.

So, it's done and I'm done -- as in very fatigued and still waiting for life to return to normal. I’m still waiting. I’m still waiting. C’mon life – return to normal!

For the entirety of February, I lived, breathed and thought about what ultimately turned out to be a 68 page treatise on homelessness in my community. I think it looks swell. It covers the ground, reads well (I’ve been told by those scrutinizing it – i.e., the folk who hired me) and I hope it can make an effective handbook for those carrying out the task of bringing about a notable change in the plight of the disadvantaged in the area.

I won’t go into the details of the philosophy, but it essentially follows the same pattern Victoria is planning to undertake, and Victoria is taking its model from Calgary, and Calgary took its model from Portland OR. And in that, it all goes back to a guy named Phillip Mangano who was hired by George W. Bush to find a scheme to address the plight of the homeless in US cities.

His model is a truly simple (and very effective) one. It’s called ‘Housing First’, and all it calls for is to get people into safe and warm digs, and then begin to address all the other problems in their lives once they are securely ensconced in a tolerable domestic setting. When they are no longer sleeping under bridges, in alleyways, or in cockroach-infested shit hotel rooms, then you can look at such things as mental illness and drug addiction (the dual scourges that affect and disable about 80% of our homeless. When somebody can tuck in under clean sheets after having had a nutritious meal, then that same person might be able to take an honest look at the other scourges of his or her life.

I mention ‘her’, because the most revelatory finding in this community was that more than half of our homeless are female. Victims often of domestic abuse, as well as mental illness, and addictions to drugs and/or alcohol, women are truly left with little recourse other than hooking to improve their lives. How wretched. Even more wretched is that many of them have children in tow and are desperately afraid of having the kids seized.

Anyway, enough about the report per se.

What I have found is that doing the job was so labor-intensive that, while I longed for the day of completion, I am finding it difficult to come down and revel in my new freedom. It’s the adrenalin rush that keeps it going, and the adrenalin sometimes continues to pump for a while after the task is completed. At the extreme end of that scale, it is the soldier returning from a combat tour and trying to settle into normal domestic life, at a more domestic level it is the moment after sex when the bliss is over and the thought is, “now what do we do?”

Anticlimax has a host of meanings.

So, I think I’ll just take the day to putter in the garden, since it’s bright and sunny, and maybe look to painting a picture sometime this weekend.

Oh, and there is one more thing about the project that I have vowed. One, I’ll never gain take on something of such magnitude with such a limited window of time given. I want to be involved from the beginning to be fully up to speed so people don’t immediately assume I know what in the fuck they’re talking about. And, two, I won’t take on a project in which I have to answer to more than one person. Multitudes of players with divergent opinions do not make the task easier.

Now, show me the money!

Labels:

18 Comments:

Blogger Tanya Brown said...

Poor man. Sounds like some puttering and decompression are in order. Do you have a large rolling tool box? This might be a good time to approach a mindless task like putting all of your sockets in order by size.

12:03 PM  
Blogger Vic said...

Congratulations! But I would be surprized if you could find work with NFPs that would not get you in the spot of having multiple masters with different agendas. It seems to be an occupational hazard, based on my direct experience.

But, welcome back to the light. There is such a thing in Comox?

1:31 PM  
Blogger laughingwolf said...

nicely done ian, and i hope the long green is more than just salad!

i could never work for more than one editor, either... though many tried to put their two cents in....

2:57 PM  
Blogger Clippy Mat said...

congratulations on completing what sounds like an important piece of writing on a simple but great idea; 'housing first', which will hopefully make a difference in your community and then spread to others. i really enjoy reading your blog but i cannot figure out how i got here. just my good fortune i suppose. :-)

3:53 PM  
Blogger Leslie Hawes said...

Do you smoke after sex? :)
No, gardening, I mean...

Congrats are in order!

3:59 PM  
Blogger Janice Thomson said...

Oh, how wonderful that's finally completed and 68 pages of it in such a short span - wow I am impressed!
That definitely calls for coffee :D

5:22 PM  
Blogger meggie said...

Congratulations on completion. Deadlines would worry me.
Hope you can relax.

7:47 PM  
Blogger heartinsanfrancisco said...

Congratulations on finishing this very important project. I have no doubt that you did a magnificent job, and that it will help many people to eventually enjoy better lives.

And yes, it is impossible to answer to more than one person. In fact, it's pushing the envelope in that one of them is by definition not oneself.

It's really important that you force some relaxation on yourself before the next adrenalinizing project begins.

8:25 PM  
Blogger meggie said...

Ian I have passed an Award on to you. Please accept it from my blog.

12:42 AM  
Blogger Casdok said...

Well done Ian! I admire anyone who puts a part of themselves into raising awarness for others.
Heres to change!

1:21 AM  
Blogger Big Brother said...

Congratulations... a worthy project. there is no reason for having homeless people in our affluent society. Now what do you do for an encore... ;o) Relax and enjoy Ian.

5:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I ventured over here from Meggie's because I have just finished a big project of my own and at last had some free time to blog-slut.

It's peculiar because my project felt like a bit of a millstone but now it has gone I feel somewhat lost. I keep wandering around and not doing anything at all.

Never mind I have another one to start tomorrow! Enjoy your leisure.

8:51 AM  
Blogger jmb said...

Congratulations Ian on the completion of this project. I can't imagine what it was like living with this topic for the whole month, plus the endless meetings on the topic.

One can only hope that people will put it to good use and deal with the problems effectively.

Relax for a little and enjoy yourself.

11:30 AM  
Blogger Spider Girl said...

Congratulations, Ian, both for completing such an enormous project, and for taking on the research for such an important issue. I just can't properly imagine the awfulness of having no home.

By the way, I'm still a bit embarrassed for not recognizing you right away that day I ran into you while shopping. I hope you've forgiven my bubble-headedness. :)

3:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

First, Yea! for you for wrapping up the project. Second, The "housing first" idea makes a lot of sense. Until your basic needs are met, it is hard to focus on any kind of recovery.

3:32 AM  
Blogger beachgirl said...

Wow that is some under taking. And only a month to tackle the project.
Congratulations in the completion. I'm sure they would welcome your input down here also. We have a
huge homeless population due to the climate.

I hope all returns to normal in your life soon.

Have an awesome day.
Carol

4:09 AM  
Blogger Jazz said...

As you emerge from the mines, I plunge into them... kicking and screaming I might add.

Puttering in the garden? I don't putter in gardens and yet, I still hate you right now as we await yet another celstial dump.

11:34 AM  
Blogger Janet said...

I found you Under the Mad Hat's Just Posts. I'd be interested in seeing your report, as my husband runs a non-profit housing organization in eastern Kentucky. They build and rehab homes for low- and middle-income people, and offer low-interest (1%) loans to folks who can't get bank loans. We don't have a lot of good examples in the states. Where adn when will your paper be published? You can email me at sjmcreynoldsATwindstreamDOTnet

1:41 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home