Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Show me the money -- the folding kind, please

I hate change. In my esteem (and if only ‘they’ would ask me about certain things the world would be a happier place) the only substance of exchange should be paper, folding money, moola, greenbacks (if south of the border, or I guess blue, purple and olivebacks in my own bailiwick), money that makes a statement that it is indeed ‘money’.

Coinage reminds me of when I was a child receiving my pathetic allowance. That is, a means of exchange not to be cherished. Back then actual bills held a mystique -- a magic. When a dollar was actually a dollar, then my eyes would light up if such a note were to have been bestowed upon me at a birthday, perhaps. If that same person had given me, say, four quarters, then it wouldn’t have been quite the same. But – a bill! A whole dollar bill!

“We’re in the money – we’re in the money. We’ve really got a lot of what it takes to get along!”

Change. I scoff at change. And, being male I attempt to disregard it as much as possible. It piles up in my pocket and on the top of the bedroom dresser. Excesses of coinage actually cause welts on the fronts of my thighs due to banging against my leg.

I not only scoff at change. I detest change. I want to be like the evil pedophile in Tennessee Williams’ Suddenly Last Summer and throw handfuls of it at street urchins. By saying I wanted to be like that dude, I don't mean the pedophile part, I just mean the throwing money away part -- just in case somebody got the wrong impression. I also want to chuck my change into the water off a cruise ship so little Samoans can dive among the sharks to try to retrieve it. Primarily, I don’t want to use it as legal tender; as a means of exchange. The trouble is, if you hand somebody a ‘fiver’ for a cup of Starbucks you get goddamn change back. Especially in this silly country. You see, here there is no folding denomination smaller than five bucks. One of the reasons I love going to the US is that you still have dollar bills. If my change contains dollar bills, then it feels like I have put real money back in my wallet. I feel flush.

What happened here was this. A number of years ago some federal government moron (redundant, I know) decided it would be good to do away with dollar and two-dollar bills, and so they did. Nobody was asked about this. They’re the feds, They can rob us every year and also do what they want, like erecting a shrine to fucking Celine Dion, or something equally banal. Anyway, I like to think Pierre Trudeau was behind all of this. I may be wrong, but I like to believe what I believe.

So, those fine old bills were replaced by big mother coins popularly called ‘loonies’ and ‘twonies’. I hate them. All males hate them.

There is a gender difference here in the matter of coinage and change. Women actually count out their change, going through all the pissy little pennies, nickels and dimes to pay for that aforementioned Starbucks. It takes simply hours, or seems to. Wendy will ask me to give her my change so she can pay for our coffees I dip my hand deep into my pocket and, of course, change then spews all over the damn floor. “I hate &%$#* change,” I mutter, audibly enough that my displeasure is apparent. She and the barrista shake their heads in some kind of superior manner, thinking ‘men are such saps.’

Oh, I know cashiers and their ilk like getting change. To that I’ll say, hard cheese. They’re there to serve me, I’m not there to accommodate them, despite the fact I might otherwise like the person.

So, one more thing. When I become king, all coinage will be done away with. We will even have nickel notes, folks. Either that, or get rid of all cash, period and just carry out all our transactions via debit card. That would work OK, too.

Labels:

15 Comments:

Blogger Tanya Brown said...

Well ... I guess you could donate all of your change to an organization which erects shrines to Celine Dion and the like?

(Tanya ducks and scampers away.)

8:12 AM  
Blogger Janice Thomson said...

I guess a seamstress really likes this since I imagine many pockets now need mending as the change gets so heavy after a while...
One good thing about it: the piggy bank builds up nicely.

8:58 AM  
Blogger Jazz said...

Mr. Jazz has this weird mathematical mind and always knows the exact amount of change in his pocket and how much to give the casier in order to get back the least possible amount of change.

Even when he pays be credit card, he'll often give 3 or 4 bucks in change (after I've provided him with it, since I just let it accumulate) and pay the rest with his credit card. I think he never has more than .75$ at any one time. I wish I could manage that...

They should do away with coins, and in order to squash the "it's too fragile" argument, they could make plastic bills like they have in Australia. That stuff is great.

10:31 AM  
Blogger Tai said...

There was a coffee shop/book store I used to frequent on Granville in Vancouver...they had a little sign in front of a tip jar that read, "If you don't like change, leave it here!"
It would have been right up your alley!

11:10 AM  
Blogger Casdok said...

I also hate change, so i save it and bank it. Surprising how much it tots up to.

11:53 AM  
Blogger Big Brother said...

With loonies and twonees, the amount in your pocket soon goes to new heights. I've had up to 20$ in change, maybe we should go back to the medieval habit of having a small bag hanging from our belt. What really gets me are pennies... totally useless. A co-worker was once building a boat and needed copper or brass to put it together. He would collect pennies and punch holes in them since they cost way less than buying copper or brass washers.

1:31 PM  
Blogger kimber said...

See, I like change, because for me it holds this romantic, mythic, fairytale, "little leather satchel of gold pieces" allure. Whenever I count my change (which is often, because the male in this house also hates change, and gives it all to me), I imagine some Robin Hood figure stealing a chest of loonies and twoonies from the Royal Bank of Canada, and distributing it with much metallic clinking and jingling to the poor and impoverished.

Although, as you've pointed out, the recipients of Robin's generous gesture wouldn't even be able to buy a coffee with it....

3:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I sometimes count out change to get rid of it. I carry a very small purse (when I carry one at all) and I hate any extra weight.

4:20 PM  
Blogger Leslie Hawes said...

Do you bite your thumb at me?
I envision King Ian of the Foldables, riding past Foldable Green, tossing coins of the Realm, with his likeness embossed, to the grovelling urchins.
Long live the King!

4:32 PM  
Blogger Hermes said...

My favourite part was when you blamed Trudeau. He MUST be to blame. I feel it in my bones, even though he was not PM when the Loonie came to be.
But I am scared of virtual money. One good solar flare and we'll all be broke.

4:56 PM  
Blogger meggie said...

We now dont have one or two cent pieces in Oz. We have plastic notes, the $5 being the smallest. The scrapped the one & two dollar bills. Now there is talk of no further need for 5cent pieces.
We have a lot of coins, since we have 5c 20c 50c $1 & $2 coins. Gom throws his into a jar, & saves up for various things.

I rather liked the idea of the pouch of coins, hanging off the belt. Should a mugger approach, you could scone him with the pouch!!

9:15 PM  
Blogger laughingwolf said...

never had that much coin in my pocked as to get bruised, but agree on the rest....

4:55 AM  
Blogger Dumdad said...

I totally agree with you on this one. I hate the stuff. I have bags and tankards brimming with the horrid brown euro cents. One cent can't buy anything. Thanks to the weight of change most of my trousers have holes in their pockets. I should sue.

8:44 AM  
Blogger jmb said...

Nickel notes! The mind boggles at this. I find it quite irritating when in the States because they don't have a five dollar bill so you have all these singles, masses of them it seems and they all look the same. I like blue notes and purple notes etc.

8:11 PM  
Blogger Darren Demers said...

Oh, I know cashiers and their ilk like getting change. To that I’ll say, hard cheese. They’re there to serve me, I’m not there to accommodate them, despite the fact I might otherwise like the person.
website design and development in canada ,
web developer designer vancouver ,

1:57 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home