Thursday, March 06, 2008

Would you please pay a lot of money to come and hear me speak?

I’ve decided that I’m going to get into the motivational speaker racket. I say ‘racket’ because these people demand huge, huge fees for mounting some stage after a rubber-chicken dinner so that they can share their wisdom with the enthralled and enchanted ‘starfuckers’ who should know better and maybe should consider spending their money on more worthy things.

A bunch of people in my wife’s office just got back from having listened to, of all people, Martha Stewart. Their overlords seemed to think that gems from the lips of Martha would inspire them to greater heights of competence – or something. The mind boggles.

In the first place, Martha cannot speak to save her life. If you’ve ever watched her on TV, her voice is, to state the case most generously, a dull monotone. Oratress she ain’t. And, wisdom? This broad was too dumb to keep her ass out of prison. Added to which, isn’t there just the teeniest question – in light of her semi-hard-time stint – about her honesty?

Doesn’t matter, it seems. She’s Martha and people are paying money to actually go and hear her.

There are lots of other notables in the speaker biz. Ex-Prez Bill Clinton demands the GNP of any eastern European nation you could name to stand behind a mike in your town. Again, think whatever good or whatever bad you want to about Bubba, he was no more known for his elocution skills than George W. will be when his turn comes out to go on the road. And he will. Mark my words.

I think the most heinous of all (mainly because I think she’s heinous at most levels) is the wife of former British PM Tony Blair. Creepy Cherie is earning an income close to the Queens in order to enthral society matrons everywhere. Why? She is the ‘wife’ of the former PM, she wasn’t PM herself. Who on God’s earth would care what she had to say? Margaret Thatcher (actually a pretty decent speaker in her day) I could moderately understand, but Cherie Blair?

Anyway, I think I should do it. I’m not a bad speaker, I’ve been told. Have a decent voice. Was once told by a deejay that I would have a good voice (not to mention ‘face’) for radio. I’m not particularly frightened by speaking before an audience. I’ve done so many times, first as a teacher, and then later at assorted presentations.

Now, I just have to decide on a gimmick (because the entire bag is about gimmickry) I could do some stuff on addictions and dysfunction, but I think John Bradshaw and Wayne Dyer have that one pretty much handled. Politics? No, I’d be excessively cynical. Sex? I think that one’s overdone in our carnality-obsessed society.

I know, how about an ‘unmotivational speaking tour’? As boomers get older and older they’re eventually going to have to detach themselves from their careers and professions and turn over the remnants to the young Turks. The idea would be to ‘unmotivate’ people from that which they once believed in implicitly.

Creative Lethargy I would call it.

or

How to retire and then when not on the golf course:

* become a pain-in-the-ass to your wife by hanging around the kitchen.
* become a pain-in-the-ass by hanging around the neighborhood mall and never buying anything
* become a pain-in-the-ass by, hanging around the supermarket and chatting up the pretty li'l checkout clerks
* become a pain-in-the-ass by going to your grown children’s houses and telling them what they’re doing wrong in raising their own kids

I’ll make millions. Well, if Martha can, then I should be able to, and I promise not to indulge in insider trading, either.

Labels:

17 Comments:

Blogger Liz Dwyer said...

Martha Stewart? What did she speak about? How to survive jail and still be rich? It is a total racket!

I have often thought this same thing. Or even better, how come I couldn't write that book "The Secret"? The secret to that book was that it didn't really say much that we all didn't already know. I guess it all is a matter of who thinks of it first.

4:54 PM  
Blogger Janice Thomson said...

I have never understood the attraction people have for Martha - I guess being a former beauty queen has its perks but honestly when I see her which isn't often if I can help it, I just want to reach out with a pair of scissors and cut away that piece that keeps hanging in her eyes.

Her speaking talent is almost negligible and what is there is cold and stiff but I guess when you have money none of that matters.

Is she crafty? Indeed so, but so are a million grandmothers and great-grandmothers who could whip something serviceable and pretty out of almost nothing whether it was a meal, clothing or a useful home item. Funny...you don't hear much about that.

5:20 PM  
Blogger Tanya Brown said...

By all means, go for it! Despair.com has already demonstrated that there's a deep, barely tapped market just waiting to be demotivated.

6:20 PM  
Blogger jmb said...

Ian, I would pay to hear you speak. Not the GNP of any country, mind you. If you are as entertaining in person as you are in print, go for it. I'm sure you are better.

I would not pay a brass nickel to hear Martha but I might pay a few bucks to hear Bill. I think he is a very charismatic speaker, well he was.

I think Creative Lethargy is a great topic, my husband excells at it with no prompting whatsoever but maybe I could get a few pointers.

8:06 PM  
Blogger meggie said...

Well, it is too late for me. Gom is a PITA in the kitchen!
Haha, I am with Janice,- I find those hairy bits on people's eyes enraging beyond belief!

10:12 PM  
Blogger Casdok said...

I would come and hear you speak!

2:10 AM  
Blogger Dumdad said...

I don't think I could be bothered to turn up to a Creative Lethargy speech....

2:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You could use those Demotivational Posters as a back-drop. Although I've been to a few academic which had speakers who were entertaining and inspirational, I've never been to hear a "motivational speaker" per se. It's an odd concept to me. And I would walk out of a romm that contained Martha Stewert. As far as I am concerened she's an unrepentant former criminal with seriosuly askew values and an unpleasant manner.

2:31 AM  
Blogger laughingwolf said...

mothra stewedrat and bully clintstone do it, why not ian lidster?

your choices are good, but you know ALL the big money is in 'religion'! ;) lol

4:33 AM  
Blogger Deb Sistrunk Nelson said...

OMG! This post has made my week!! Ian, I love you!

5:28 AM  
Blogger Jazz said...

I'd pay big bucks to hear you speak.

Martha? not so much.

6:22 AM  
Blogger Leesa said...

For a very short time, I thought Martha Stewart was not related to the devil. I assume that the devil gets nourishment from Martha's teets. How come she brings out the worse in me? And why would I pay money (or want others to pay her money) to listen to her?

8:34 AM  
Blogger Tai said...

Well...as long as there's no insider trading Ian!

8:42 AM  
Blogger Leslie Hawes said...

I am laughing at dumdad's comment ;)

How about making money as a motivational speaker motivating people to become motivational speakers?

(Star Star Rolling Stones)

12:06 PM  
Blogger heartinsanfrancisco said...

Martha is a former beauty queen? Are we talking about the Westminster Kennel Club show, Janice?

There is a company that makes demotivational materials, the anti-workplace. A friend used to send me one a day but I can't remember the name of the person who created them.

But Martha as a speaker?

"How to parlay a souffle into Monayyy."

5:32 PM  
Blogger Dr. Deb said...

I think Martha is a stoic, monotone speaker. I cannot watch her show for that reason.

I would pay big bucks to hear you speak. I bet you'd be witty and full of great stories!!

6:30 PM  
Blogger Hermes said...

You should go the Sylvia Brown route. I'd come to hear you talk to the spirit world. I bet Brown is worth more than Stewart. Historically, snake oil has always sold well.

12:03 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home