Wednesday, March 12, 2008

To die, to sleep, to sleep perchance to dream ...

Winston Churchill, Margaret Thatcher and Thomas Edison were noted insomniacs. Churchill was given to wandering the corridors of his large house, reposing in beds in various rooms. If one room didn’t bring a visitation of Hypnos, then he would move on until blessed slumber overtook him. Needless to say, around about 1939-45 the geezer had a lot on his mind.

The sleep fanatics of the scientific world tell us that sleeplessness is a very bad thing and leads to all manner of dysfunction. Yet, considering the aforementioned – Mrs. T. maintained she only got about 3 hours a night – and their accomplishments, I sometimes have to wonder just how important it really is. I also think that if we obsess about its importance, we end up spending further disrupted nights due to worrying about it.

“Oh no – I can’t sleep. I’m going to die!”

“Well, if you’re dead, then you’ll really sleep, me bucko.”

Anyway, I don’t normally suffer from insomnia. Well, I do, of a sort. I awaken early, and if I am very stressed, then I awaken very, very early, like around 3 a.m.-ish. That’s not nice. There isn’t much to do at 3. I mean, I could tap my wife on the shoulder but, affectionate soul that she is, such an invitation at such a time would be unwelcome, especially if she has to get up and go to work.

Last night I had the other, and more common type of insomnia. The beginning-of-the-night sort. As I say, more common for most, but relatively rare for me. It was not an agreeable night.

First my nose got stuffed up, and then I began to sneeze. Welcome to springtime allergy season, folks. Then I had to pee. Then I told myself I mustn’t look at the clock because that would stress me once I saw what time it was. Then I just lay there and ‘thought’. Thinking is a bad thing if insomnia has visited. Then I told myself again not to look at the clock. And then I did. And that was stupid. And then I had to pee again. Or, thought I did. And that thought wouldn’t go out of my mind.

Finally, for fear of disrupting the sleep of the memsahib, I went to the other room. I didn’t do much better there. I felt like the folks in that wonderful Hopper painting, Nighthawks (shown above). I thought, I'm doing little of worth here, so I think I'd like to join those folks. I could sit next to the babe in the red dress because she's looking bored by suit-guy's conversation. Or, I could join other suit-guy who is sitting on his own. Why are they in suits at 3 a.m.?

Normally, I have some techniques to control any possible insomnia onset. I drink no coffee after 6 p.m. When I go to bed I get comfortable and I read. I read a book that isn’t entirely exciting. If it is too exciting, I get adrenalin pumped and that is counterproductive. I read until I start to nod, and then I douse the light. Sleep comes quickly – normally, that is. If it doesn’t come quickly, I have a sort of self-hypnosis technique that I have mastered and that is the ability to make my mind go completely blank. That means, no meanderings about past or present injustices, the state of the world, scummy politicians, or sexual fantasies. The latter are especially disruptive. No, I think exclusively about ‘nothing’ and it almost always works. Last night it didn’t. At 2 a.m. I still felt more wide-awake than I had at noon. I thought of giving Lady Thatcher a call, since she’d probably be up, but I refrained.

At some point Morpheus prevailed and I obviously had nodded out. Having gone back to the bedroom at one point, the clock now read 5:25. I could have slept for days at 5:25. Fat lot of good that did me.

Do you suffer from insomnia? How do you thwart it?

Labels:

19 Comments:

Blogger thailandchani said...

It's a miracle if I sleep for more than two hours at a time. I don't do anything to thwart it. It is what it is and I just get up and do something until I'm tired again.

10:28 AM  
Blogger Leslie Hawes said...

I do not keep a clock in the bedroom.
Lying awake is not a bad thing.
To be or not to be...now THAT...

10:38 AM  
Blogger Tai said...

I'm SO lucky I don't suffer from it in any form. So so so lucky. Wish I could help!

12:31 PM  
Blogger dragonflyfilly said...

yes, i am a long time "sufferer", on and off...however the past 2 weeks, all I do is sleep...i can't seem to stay awake! - don't know what that's all about.

BUT..an old Doc once told me that we were traditionally "nappers", that is to say we did not sleep 8 hours in a row, as we would have to be on the lookout for the dreaded sabre-tooth tiger [and by that i don't mean the 55+ female on the prowl for a youngermate - hah hah]...

so, do not fret, simply embrace a new sleep pattern 4 hours sleeping, 3 hours awake then 4 hours sleeping etc.

see how that works for you.

in the meantime, "come up and see me sometime," whydontcha?

cheers for now,
pj

3:01 PM  
Blogger Vic said...

It is a pernicious problem for me. The more I don't sleep, the worse I feel, and the worse I then sleep. Reading is the only solution for me - if I do anything else, my mind gets locked into circular patterns and I am lost. However, finally getting to sleep at 4:30 or 5 a.m. is not a great recipe for scintillating conversation (or even standing upright) during the day.

I empathise!

4:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've had insomnia as far back as I can remember. I don't have many tricks that work, except when I am desperate I use ambien.

7:13 PM  
Blogger heiresschild said...

i blog, like now, or do dishes (did them earlier tonite), if there are any to be done. that usually helps.

8:12 PM  
Blogger Rositta said...

Insomnia started right around the time of menopause and there's not a whole lot I can do about it. I won't take sleeping pills, just a personal preference. I read, I wander the house, I knit and surf the net and finally I sleep in another room so not to wake my spouse who has to get up early. I can't make my mind go blank like you can, sadly...ciao

8:15 PM  
Blogger meggie said...

I don't have much success with tecnigues for getting off to sleep. I usually wake around 2-3am & toss & turn for the remainder of the night. Sometimes I get up & read.

10:10 PM  
Blogger Janice Thomson said...

I sleep good but not for long. 5-6 hours is perfect. Anymore and I get a severe headache. Any less and I'm not approachable in the morning :) The only time I don't sleep good is if it is very hot. Then I take a cool shower and that seems to help.

10:34 PM  
Blogger kimber said...

I go through bouts of insomnia from time to time -- the first time I had insomnia, I took to leaving the house and jogging a few kilometers around 3am. Not that I'm recommending that, mind....

11:48 PM  
Blogger Casdok said...

A massage helps!

12:51 AM  
Blogger Liz Dwyer said...

I suffer from it quite frequently, which is why it's almost 2 AM and I'm commenting on your blog. I have no solutions for it. I think I'm like you in that I'm moving closer to just accepting that it is what it is.

2:00 AM  
Blogger laughingwolf said...

lately i'm not sleeping like i used to... blame advancing age?

sometimes i get 6 - 7 hours, other times only 2 - 3... i'll take the former, any time

5:07 AM  
Blogger dee said...

The full moon makes me wake either several times during the night or be so restless I really just get up to put my husband out of the misery of having me tossing and turning all night. I'm almost 60 and find that sleep problems come in waves. If it goes on for more than a couple of nights-I take a Benadryl and it usually breaks the cycle. Not recommended for everyone but that's what works for me. Looking at the clock is deadly. Might as well just give it up then. I read do needlework or surf.
Love your writing

7:34 AM  
Blogger Jazz said...

I rarely suffer from insomnia - and when I do I work myself up to a total panic, which is not good for getting rid of said insomnia.

Luckily, it happens only once every few months. Usually I sleep the sleep of the... i was going to say of the just, but somehow that doesn't seem to work... the sleep of the cyincal perhaps?

9:50 AM  
Blogger Dr. Deb said...

Was it Da Vinci who took only twenty minutes naps instead of a full on sleep cycle? I can't recall.

11:20 AM  
Blogger Angela said...

ARG. I am only just beginning to know this world, and *believe* me, it is NOT okay with me! I used to be one who would be out by the time my head hit the pillow. Now, getting a good night's sleep seems/feels like a luxury. If I come up with any tips, I'll be sure to pass them along.

9:28 AM  
Blogger Angela said...

p.s. Before I go, here's wishing you a lifetime of good sleep!

9:28 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home