Monday, March 31, 2008

Oh, there was once a time, children

The year 1956 is more than a half century ago. I find that realization a little bit chilling.

Nothing all that notable about 1956, aside from the Hungarian revolt and also the fact that a 21-year-old sallow faced truck driver from Memphis, late of Tupelo, Miss., the only son of a sharecropper/moonshiner and an overprotective mother came under public scrutiny for the first time and, quite simply, changed the mores of society – forever.

Elvis Presley made his first national television appearance early that year on the Dorsey Brothers TV show. Nobody knew what the hell to make of this kid back in the days of Perry Como. The crying plaints of Johnny Ray had been hard enough to deal with, but who was this weirdly dressed white kid with the greasy ducktail, sideburns, who was singing raucous versions of what, in that day, was known as ‘race’ music.

Around that same time his recently acquired manager/mentor, one old carny conman named Col. Tom Parker, bought out Elvis’s contract with Memphis-based Sun Records for a paltry 40 grand and signed the kid with RCA. It was the big time, and Elvis’s slow segue into a premature death had already begun.

I only mention this because our nearby PBS affiliate in Seattle ran an offering Saturday night which was a documentary of Presley’s 1956 performances at various venues including the Louisiana Hayride program, the Dorseys, Steve Allen and ultimately Ed Sullivan, which was the true diamond show amongst the zircons. Once you made the Sullivan Show you had made ‘it.’

I loved the PBS offering and it took me back to the degree that I almost got misty at moments. I was just a young kid at the time, but I remember my father decrying this aberration and him suggesting he was an addled drug addict because of the shadows under his eyes. Little did he know that this was actually the dawning of the age of Aquarius, not all that hippie crap that came later.

Presley, meanwhile, saw himself as a kind of natural successor to the recently deceased truly cool cat of the era, James Dean. James Dean with a Tony Curtis hairstyle.

Of course, it is really the 1956 version of Presley that always had allure for me. He was unspoiled, relatively innocent – didn’t smoke, drink or cuss, and always called his male elders ‘Sir.’ And the music of the Sun Collection is proto-Presley, with such gems as Blue Moon of Kentucky, That’s All Right Mama, Milk Cow Blues Boogie, My Happiness (his Mama’s favorite), and a few others. Pure gems are they in their mixture of rhythm, blues, rock and boogie. And, in those days, while the guitar was his primary axe, he also pounded out a mean piano. He was no Jerry Lee or Little Richard in that regard, but he wasn’t bad. Especially when the musically astute Jordanaires were still backing him up. Presley was always a quartet in those days, never the solo act he later became.

And never the bloated, and uninspiring Vegas lounge act he ultimately became, sporting his black-dyed Wayne Newton hair (he was actually blonde in those early days), and sweating profusely into those silk scarves, which he pitched to orgasmic matrons who should have been ashamed of their histrionics. As a kind of ironic aside, his first Vegas show in 1956 was an utter bomb.

What he became was a sad reminder of pathetic mismanagement and advantage taking by city slickers, and his demise was kind of a tragedy.

But, by golly, there was a time.

Labels:

16 Comments:

Blogger meggie said...

I was never taken with Elvis, & could never see the attraction. I never did get crushes on singers or movie stars- too much of a realist I suppose. I did like his later music, before the rot set in. It was sad to watch him disintegrate so publicly & it was a relief when he died, I felt.
Whatever else he did, he certainly changed the face of music.

4:33 PM  
Blogger Angela said...

I'll always remember Elvis' death the day after my birthday. My parents weren't even fans, but for some reason, the day really struck me. I think that's how tragedy is, really, and I do think it a tragedy that his life ended the way it did -- wish for so much more for people.

6:46 PM  
Blogger geewits said...

Sometimes we forget that he started out as a nice polite country boy. Although I'm a strong believer that every adult person is responsible for their own actions, it's easy to see that he was mucked around with by all the people he trusted. Oh well, it is what it is. I'm just jealous that he got to sleep with Ann Margret and I'm not even gay!

11:26 PM  
Blogger heiresschild said...

i never did, and still don't understand all of the hype about Elvis Presley.

12:48 AM  
Blogger Casdok said...

Im too young to remember?! Cough.

2:30 AM  
Blogger laughingwolf said...

i first saw him on 'the big shew', and agree with your assessment....

7:31 AM  
Blogger Janice Thomson said...

I'm like Meggie - never did get crushes on singers or actors but I do remember seeing his last performance and thinking to myself that this man is very very ill. Perhaps too he was spared the humiliation of a long spiraling downfall, like that of most rich and young pop stars, by an earlier death.
The drugs these people consume in order to deal with such high-level stress is absolutely horrendous.

8:43 AM  
Blogger Ellee Seymour said...

I could listen to Elvis all day long, he was fantastic. The worst thing he ever did was sign up Col Parker.

9:17 AM  
Blogger Dr. Deb said...

I am a big fan of Elvis'. My black cat is named after him. And the Elvis connection threads through my literary agent, Victoria Sanders, whose father, Denis, did the documentary "That's the Way It Is". I didn't know about that connection when I chose her to represent me, and finding it out recently made me smile.

I first saw him on Ed Sullivan, and remember buying my first record with my own money, which was Jailhouse Rock.

There was once a time, for sure, Ian!

4:12 PM  
Blogger Echomouse said...

My sister had such a thing for Elvis. When he died, she cried and cried.

I liked his early stuff better too.

5:38 PM  
Blogger jmb said...

I'm sorry I missed that program. It was a tragedy how success brought him all those problems.

12:43 AM  
Blogger Ellee Seymour said...

My favourite Elvis song was Suspicious Minds. I remember all his songs, or most of them, were relevant to his life at that moment.

12:53 PM  
Blogger Hermes said...

No question about his talent or about his influence on culture around the world. I was only a kid when he died but my friends and I still regarded him as the best ever. We were blissfully unaware of his bloated vegas self until much later. Man that cat could sing.

7:42 PM  
Blogger Jazz said...

Elvis should never have gotten old. The bloated Vegas version just wasn't Elvis...

In a strange way, Janis and Jim sort of had the right idea. They are forever young and at the height of their glory.

1:15 AM  
Blogger Hageltoast said...

Elvis died the year i was born, loved his music!!

12:18 PM  
Blogger andrea said...

Darn, and I thought maybe you were talking about Elvis Costello, THE real Elvis. And hippie crap!! I resemble that remark.

Yes, it took a handsome white boy who loved his mama and the grand ol' US of A to get people listening to the most exciting music of the era -- that "nigra" music. But it was the hard drinking, drug abusing, inmate loving Johnny Cash that I admire more.

6:24 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home