Sunday, April 06, 2008

What are you doing after you ditch Sarkozy, babe?

First Lady of France strikes a regal pose
I was just reading in a British newspaper how the good citizens of the UK have gone ga-ga over pretty French First Lady, and Sarkozy’s former No. 1 concubine, Carla Bruni, who is now his missus. Even the old Duke of Edinburgh was so charmed by the jeune-ish fille that he ended up in hospital after her visit.

Well, there is no doubt about it. She is kind of cute in a supermodel sort of way. Indeed, throughout her grownup years she has charmed (and bedded, it is reported) a lot of mighty powerful dudes aside from shrimpish Sarkozy, such as Mick Jagger, for example. Although, in the case of Mick I think a mark of distinction for a woman might be that she has ‘not’ done the ‘horizontal tango’ with old Flabby Lips.

But, what her presence on the world stage, as it were, suggests is that we are all suckers for a Princess. Diana left the scene in a tragic way more than a decade ago and since her time there has been a vacuum in babes sufficiently charismatic to charm the world. Indeed, comparisons have already been made between Carla and Diana in the belief that there is such a vacancy of high-end pulchritude.

Before Diana Spencer there was Jackie Kennedy. Personally I always thought she was kind of creepy looking, and about as deep as a sheen of rainwater on a pavement, but she seemed to have some sort of charisma that even charmed Nikita Kruschev. Of course, looking at Mrs. Kruschev you could understand why anybody female not wearing a babushka and army boots would have caught old Nik’s fancy.

Prior to her there was Princess Margaret, the Queen’s sister. Margaret, aside from being a rather wild child, also was quite sporting in showing off her D-cup accoutrements to fine advantage in very low-cut frocks, and thus charming all sorts of men who suddenly found themselves professing staunch monarchist sentiments.

But, what is the appeal of any princess? Why is she needed? Purely and simply, I think she just brings a bit of glamour into an international theatre that is fraught with nastiness and ill-spirit. Princesses featured prominently in fairytales and mere mortals could enter flights-of-fancy in just wondering what it would be like to – well – you know.

I must confess, I fell madly and besottedly in love with the very pretty and very young Diana back in 1981 when I was living in England. To me she was all that a princess should be – one part dignity – the other part an object of healthy lust.

I suspect Carla, considering her background, offers much the same.

Labels: ,

13 Comments:

Blogger jmb said...

This one is more like a Cinderella than a princess. Mind you she looked pretty good in the tour photos. The one above does lack a little dignity however.

4:03 PM  
Blogger Janice Thomson said...

I'm with JMB - in fact I'd add this pic is a touch um...sleazy? We part ways here my friend LOL

8:06 PM  
Blogger meggie said...

Must be 'cause we are females, but I am with jmb & janice. Tad too brassy for me!
I do agree with your assessment of Jackie Kennedy- to me she looked very odd, & was creepy indeed!

12:19 AM  
Blogger geewits said...

I'm still trying to figure out how you are comparing a sweet young naive English girl to an Italian rock groupie model. Not even apples and oranges. More like apples and snails.

2:24 AM  
Blogger laughingwolf said...

geewits, i agree....

4:18 AM  
Blogger Ian Lidster said...

I was actually trying to be ironic here, folks. In all honesty I was kidding in that the 'lady' pictured above does not appeal to me at all in the same context as Princess Diana. What I was trying to point out was that in our currently and thorougly crass world that even our images of princesses has gone down market. Sorry if it didn't work in quite the manner I'd intended.

5:07 AM  
Blogger Ellee Seymour said...

Trust you to get round to healthy lust Ian. A pity her husband lacks the same glamour.

7:19 AM  
Blogger Tai said...

I was going to respond, but I had to go to the Monster Mass. LOL!!!

Jancie has a point, she's looking a little sleazy there. At least Diana only posed in see-through dresses by accident.

9:23 AM  
Blogger Leslie Hawes said...

Isn't pulchritude a dandy word?

5:00 PM  
Blogger heartinsanfrancisco said...

She brings back memories of the rawther uninhibited Margaret Trudeau who was photographed without panties before Britney Spears was out of diapers.

12:53 AM  
Blogger Echomouse said...

I always empathized with them, the regular people propelled into royalty and trying to adjust under the glare of the world.

The only princess who I really find interesting and will read about is Princess Caroline of Monaco. That woman is a tower of strength, beautiful, defiant, yet graceful, smart and cunning. Diana and even Jackie, on the other hand, to me, don't hold a candle to Caroline.

4:56 AM  
Blogger Echomouse said...

oh yeah, Carla Bruni...all I think of with her is "she was having an affair with Donald Trump!" So, you know, any chick who'd be interested in that dude is so nothing to me. Woman has no class and no taste. She's just in this for the money. Ick. lol

4:58 AM  
Blogger Marianne said...

Hello - just found your blog - this made me laugh, it is very true I'm afraid that the British love nothing better than a pretty face married to a man of power - they went crazy for Carla when she visited the Queen in her 60s outfit with pillbox hat. The French seem less enthusiastic....

1:41 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home