Friday, April 18, 2008

It may not be much, but this much I do know

For most of us, life has been a pastiche of good and bad decisions. Some are probably still feeling the residuals of their bad decisions and faulty judgment calls. But, there is Balm in Gilead, and that balm is to be found in our good decisions. I’ve had a few of those. So have we all. Mine are as follows.

The best things I ever learned:

1. To read. I cannot begin to assess the value mastery of this skill has given me at so many levels. I once learned that one of my journalistic heroes, the ‘Sage of Baltimore,’ HL Mencken suffered a stroke in his later years and for the last decade of his life he was unable to read and comprehend a word on the printed page. I’d rather have died.


2. Never to take up heroin or cocaine.

3. Don’t really like acronyms, but have come to fully appreciate the virtues of KISS as a mode of living life.

4. Like Jimmy Carter I have lusted in my heart (oh, too many times to be counted), but I have in later years come to realize that emotional infidelity is probably just as dishonest as actually doing the dirty.

5. Realized we are the products of personal history. Personality quirks can often be explained. I have an inordinate fear of somebody I love dying in a traffic mishap. My beloved grandmother was hit and killed by a car. I now realize that has impacted me throughout my life. That realization was a good thing for me to arrive at.

6. Learned (the rudiments at least) of a different language. It not only broadens one’s horizons, but it facilitates ease in dealing with services in a country where that language is spoken. The French might have regarded with curled lip my attempts at their language (they’re like that), but it made me feel good to have ‘tried’ at least.

7. Realized that whatever personality or even sexual quirks I might have are not really abnormal. Most people have ‘stuff’ that they wouldn’t necessarily want revealed if they were, say, running for public office.

8. The laughter of children keeps a fellow going at a time when life might be bogging him down.

9. That my father had many virtues that I didn’t really come to appreciate, alas, until after he was gone. If yours still lives, make your peace with him. Unless he’s a complete prick, of course.

10. If you’re hosting a cocktail party or ‘at home’ and are planning to serve devilled eggs as one of your hors d’oeuvres, make twice as many as you think you will need. That still won’t be enough.

11. How to change a tire.

12. How to change a diaper.

13. How to sew on a button.

14. How to iron a shirt.

15. How to prepare the best damn potato salad on the continent (hint: It has something to do with horseradish.)

16. Being prepared to concede an argument (even if I know I’m right) for the sake of maintaining domestic harmony. Nothing is that damned important.

17. If you suspect that you might drink too much; you do.

18. To never hold the gaze of an attractive stranger for more than three seconds unless you are planning to do something about it.

19. To never eat ‘fresh’ seafood in Mexico.

20. What the ‘stinkeye’ means in Hawaii and how to avoid it.

I could keep going with this for much longer, but I have also learned that everything has an optimum limit. It’s the lesson learned from the film It’s a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World. Too many comic geniuses carrying on for far too long do not make for an uproarious movie.




Labels:

19 Comments:

Blogger Dreaming again said...

"15. How to prepare the best damn potato salad on the continent (hint: It has something to do with horseradish.)"

HEY!!! Don't give away my secret ingredient on my potato salad!!!!!!

3:36 PM  
Blogger Tanya Brown said...

I knew I liked you. This list helped me quantify why.

4:10 PM  
Blogger Janice Thomson said...

Good list Ian.
So how do you avoid 'stinkeye'? By looking away or giving one back?
I agree reading is so important - I learned that especially when teaching
Grade 6 students. I found a lot them were not stupid at all - they just couldn't read and once they took summer courses for this their marks AND behavior increased greatly.

6:52 PM  
Blogger Hermes said...

And here's to many more lessons for us all. There are a few on your list I need to pick up.

7:19 PM  
Blogger Ian Lidster said...

Message for Janice: No, you definitely look away to avoid stinkeye. To give one back is an invitation for a plummeting of 'aloha spirit' and possibly a knife in the ribs.

7:37 PM  
Blogger geewits said...

This was a good post. I do your #16, but in my brain at the time, I just say, "Let it go, it's not worth it." But not just with loved ones. I do that with anyone. Life's too short to spend too much time on a "debate" that in the long run doesn't add up to a pile of beans. This doesn't make me the "good guy" though. In my head, I'm thinking, "What a f..." okay I think you get my drift.

12:36 AM  
Blogger laughingwolf said...

good points... to the reading ability, i'd add drawing and playing music

and KISS is the only way to go....

4:44 AM  
Blogger Dumdad said...

Great list, Ian.

Some observations:

1. This would be top of my list as well.

3. If you don't like acronyms then use Occam's Razor instead here!

4. Actually, I don't agree with this. I fancy about five different women every day (more in the summer) but acting out on my emotions would be worse than just day-dreaming!

6. Yes, been there - still am!

21. Your last point should have got its own number. I remember being so excited to see this movie thinking it couldn't fail. But it did. (I also remember that Mad magazine published a book afterwards entitled It's a World, World, World, World Mad).

Have a great weekend.

9:38 AM  
Blogger Synchronicity said...

i love lists and this is a great one...so um...what IS the stink eye?

12:13 PM  
Blogger Tai said...

I never did figure out the diaper one.
Last time I tried (years ago) I traumitized not only myself but the poor little tyke I was trying my skill out on.
Pooh. Everywhere.

3:01 PM  
Blogger Laura Jane Williams said...

And here is to having the learning never, ever stop!

girlinthemask x

2:50 AM  
Blogger riseoutofme said...

You sound just about as handy as a small pot to have around!

I like you.

More and more.

1:17 PM  
Blogger Ellee Seymour said...

Thanks for the tip about Mexican fresh food.

I've learnt how to give in to arguments for the sake of peace, btw, and, for reasons which you know, you are absolutely right about the booze.

2:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was nodding to so many of these. And that is so weirdly true about devilled eggs.

8:14 PM  
Blogger Marianne said...

Thank you for number 16. I am about to embark on 2 weeks confinement with my mother, and this is something I'm going to have put into action! M

2:55 AM  
Blogger Groanin' Jock said...

I suppose mine boils down to "Do unto others", which tends to sound rather biblical for a non-believer, but it's as good a creed as any other I've lived.

3:21 AM  
Blogger Jazz said...

[I]have come to fully appreciate the virtues of KISS as a mode of living life

So true. Ever so true...

12:34 PM  
Blogger heartinsanfrancisco said...

Ah, the stinkeye. God, I love Hawaiians.

With apologies to Jimmy Carter, I still think that doing the deed is worse than lusting in ones heart because we cannot control our feelings. We can only control our actions, and that is quite enough.

7:49 PM  
Blogger jmb said...

More things about Ian.
1 is for me above all else the most important thing I have learned and I dread losing my sight for some reason.
16 is also a good lesson for us all to learn.

10:32 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home