Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Fair's fair, Kim, so you're off my list

Now, I am a kindly man. Some might even be driven to say generous, and indeed always tolerant and forgiving.

But, with the foregoing positive attributes understood by my readers, I am driven to say that Kim Cattrall is now ‘off’ my Christmas card list.

My pique stems from a rather fawning article in a daily newspaper in which it is noted “Cattrall … left Courtenay at age 16 to attend New York’s American Academy of Dramatic Arts.” That much is utterly true, and I remember it like it was yesterday.

What was not mentioned, however, was the role of her English teacher in her actually getting to the AADA in the first place. I mean, she had the talent, and she had been awarded a bursary to attend, and deservedly so; no doubt , the kid was good.

However, she wanted to bunk off school a couple of months early without having completed her English requirements to graduate. Consequently, I received no small number of plaintive and cajoling telephone calls from Miss Kimberly and her father, pleading with me to give her some crash studies and to spring her for her forthcoming brilliant career.

I acceded, mainly because I genuinely liked Kim, and I also thought she deserved the shot. What would it really hurt? I didn't want it to be said I had stood in the way of her career. So, Kim, how come no mention of that? Hmm? How come no mention of your first film, either, the execrable Rosebud, which I believe was seen by at least 17 people. I’m sorry. That’s mean. We all have to start somewhere.

I have another quibble with the article and that is that the writer makes regular reference to Kim’s hometown of Courtenay. In fact, her hometown is Comox, which is another community in the general collective conurbation of the Comox Valley. Hey, Comox people got feelings too, Kim. And, if somebody wants proof she was from Comox I could – for a small fee, of course – take you right to her family home and even park in the driveway. A family home that is in rural Comox, not Courtenay. Hey, I even drove her to that family home when she was back for a visit in the early 1990s after she was a big star.

Oh, and something else. A statement made by Miss Cattrall, or at least attributed to her was not, I hope, as hubristic and patronizing as it reads,

She states, in reference to her hometown fan folk: “People, especially in my hometown and surrounding areas, feel they have a personal stake in what I do. It’s lovely.”

Shucks, Kim, you noticed. Yep, none of us have anything much else to do, so we avidly follow the career of Kim and just darn well feel we’re a part of the dazzle and glitz, since our lives are so hollow and shallow. She adds that she was home over Christmas. “We went to the Best Western for New Year’s.” Dagnabit, girl. Just like regular folks do in this jerkwater burg.

Don’t get me wrong in this. I genuinely like Kim. I liked her when she was a weedy, cheerful kid, and I’ve liked her the few times I’ve met her again in her adult career.

I must confess I was never a fan of Sex and the City. I thought it was boring and slutty and vaguely offensive. More important, it was rarely funny. But, I never understood why Will and Grace existed either, so that’s just me. I do believe, however, that talented Chris Noth has always been much better served by the L&O franchise.

Anyway, I wish my old student lots of continuing success, but don’t necessarily be expecting that card from me come next Yuletide, Kim. I have feelings too, you know. And, I bet not many people know, as I do, that your dog when you were first in LA was named Rupert, after Rupert Bear.

Labels:

13 Comments:

Blogger Leslie Hawes said...

Namedropper! :)

11:08 AM  
Blogger Dita said...

Sorry, I was a fan of Sex and the City. After all, Kim is not Samantha, but did play a good role.

I'm taking her off my Christmas card list too. My sister always says, two years in a row of not getting a return card, and wham...you drop from the list.

12:34 PM  
Blogger Sugar. said...

All these years I thought she was from Courtenay. I myself am a Comox girl and they are definitely two separate communities. :)

12:42 PM  
Blogger Tai said...

But all I do is wait, breathlessly, to find out what move Kim is going to make next. I mean, what else do I have to live for?
(Well, besides Pam, of course.)

12:48 PM  
Blogger laughingwolf said...

you may think what you want of her 'talent', i just don't 'get' her, nor pam anderson, for that matter....

1:14 PM  
Blogger Marianne said...

Oooh, interesting, I love a bit of "where it all began".

This is really sad actually, it's horrid when people change and forget that having a good memory is good manners.

I have to admit to not having loved SATC either (apart from the outfits) but I was definitely more of a Charlotte than a Samantha!

3:23 PM  
Blogger Hermes said...

All I can say is that I hope I'm never famous. I say a lot of stupid things and, when famous, everyone will report everything to everyone. I value being allowed to be inappropriate in the privacy of my own friends. I'm not a SATC fan either but have always liked Cattrall's work. But, despite the fact that I too grew up in Comox, I don't know her any more than I know Chris Noth. I am therefore as apathetic about her personally as I am any other famous person.

6:53 PM  
Blogger Liz Dwyer said...

Wowzer, Ian. I can see why you're upset. But maybe the reporter just left out some of the other nice and more accurate things she said? And I positively loathed SATC. I've only seen it once and that was more than enough for me.

12:01 AM  
Blogger Janice Thomson said...

I really dislike both those shows - can't really say much more than that as I am not up on movies or their stars - except for some of the oldies .

1:00 AM  
Blogger meggie said...

SATC was hideous to us. That horse faced woman...ummm oh yes SJP! Just one look & off we went.
I hate when people refuse to acknowledge their REAL roots!!

2:13 AM  
Blogger heartinsanfrancisco said...

I went to AADA too, but didn't know she was an alumna.

So they changed the name of her hometown but not her own name?

She's VERY pretty. I guess Canadians are like that.

11:56 PM  
Blogger Jazz said...

Damn, all those stars you BC-ers have!!!

1:22 PM  
Blogger Tom Regehr said...

To understand the appeal of SATC one must understand women, somewhat. I feel that SATC brought balance to the universe in that we had The Red Green Show to mock men the way that men mock men and then SATC came along to mock women the way women mock women.
I did like the hair, shoes, and shopping and natter.

5:19 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home