Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Here come de judge


Judge not lest ye be judged,” goeth the Biblical admonition. Wow, just like following all of the Ten Commandments to the letter (I know I’m not supposed to covet my neighbor’s ass, but she's so damn cute – Oh, you mean her ‘donkey’, well that’s not so difficult), it’s a tall order, human nature being what it is.

The truth of the matter is, we all judge much of the time. In fact, our whole social fabric, not to mention our system of jurisprudence are based on judgment of others. I mean, we have people called ‘judges’ whose role is to ‘judge’ their fellows. Judges aren’t ordained by God, either, but originate in the temporal realms of a lot of sycophantic ass-kissing, voting in the prescribed manner, and having very little conscience one way or the other.

Do I unfairly malign judges? Probably. Just a judgment call on my part, I guess.

But, you know how it goes. Some absolutely nefarious knave or knave-ette who can afford to hire the best legal assistance and who has good connections is either given a walk or sent to a cushy club-fed for a brief stay; or, on the other hand, a poor sod with no good connections gets an interminable sentence for a minored infraction.

But, that’s how judgment goes.

Anyway, like Jimmy Swaggart, I too am a sinner. I have indeed sinned. I judge and likely will continue to judge my fellows. Bet you do, too. I bet the Dalai Lama does. I’ll wager he’s had the odd negative thought about the Chinese government and its policies. Will we all burn in Hell? Hope not because it will be a mighty highly populated place if that’s the case. Maybe we’ll just be sent to ‘Heck.’

Here’s who I judge:

- the oozingly politically correct. The fussbudgets who deem their lives to be so perfect that they feel it is their bounden duty to take simple pleasures away from others.

- Those in the ‘entertainment’ field who suffer under the delusion that life is not vile and vulgar enough and must carry on further in the direction of utter tastelessness.

- Pretty females who seem to think defiling their bodies with tattoos is somehow appealing.

- Those who believe implicitly that racism and bigotry are confined solely to people of northern European extraction and those of such extraction must all feel guilty.

- Judicial systems that subscribe to the theory that punishment must revolved exclusively around rehabilitation and that there must be no room for that very human need for retribution.

- In similar context, those who believe a mere apology is sufficient punishment for any crime or transgression.

- The dishonest (in a host of areas) that call upon friends to cover for them, in the name of friendship. I say, in the name of friendship: ‘Screw you.”

- Child molesters.

- Spousal abusers.

- Sexual assailants.

- Those who would be cruel to animals.

- Trophy hunters.

- Vandals.

- Graffiti daubers. They are not ‘artists’. Real artists do not defile the property of other people. You want to do public art, then be a pavement artist in chalk.

- Apologists for hideous regimes in foreign countries because such countries are such inexpensive places to vacation in.

- Litterers.

- Sports ‘so-called’ fans that boo the national anthems of other countries in international competitions, including hockey and baseball games.

- Abusive kids’ athletic coaches.

- Those of either sex who believe that sweat pants are acceptable garments to be worn in public places.

- In similar context, those who believe bluejeans and sweatshirts or T-shirts are quite OK to wear to a wedding, funeral, or fine-dining restaurant.

I think I could manage about 500 such items, but will refrain. I also judge those who go on and on interminably. So, come clean, who do you judge?




Labels:

15 Comments:

Blogger Dreaming again said...

The true interpretation of that scripture is ... in plain english ... that with the same measure that you judge, you'll be judged. So ... whoever decided that we can't judge was just trying to save their own self righteous hide from something.

The reality is ... We do need to judge ... to protect us ... to keep an even keep ... however ...if we judge harshly we can expect to be judged harshly ...if we are merciful, we can expect mercy.

If we don't use judgment at all ...we can expect chaos.

4:36 PM  
Blogger Leslie Hawes said...

Pobody's nerfect.

4:51 PM  
Blogger jmb said...

Those of a different ethnicity who play the racist card if you disagree with them.

Why does my mind go blank when you can go on forever?

7:18 PM  
Blogger thailandchani said...

Oh, gosh. I'm not sure I want to put it out on the internet.

I'll just say that one of my character flaws is that I can be a bit of an intellectual snob.

7:45 PM  
Blogger Tanya Brown said...

Oh, what fun! Hmmm. (Licks lips eagerly, tries to distill list down to a length suitable for a comments section.)

People who are willfully stupid.

People who believe that facts take a back seat to opinions.

People who are divisive, purposefully sewing seeds of discontent and recounting unpleasant third-hand comments so as to damage relationships.

People who relish controlling others, and try to obtain embarrassing and/or private information so as to further this goal.

People who enjoy others' misfortune.

People who are so insecure that they foil their own children's success, lest they be surpassed.

Gosh, I could go on like this for hours, but I should really let someone else have a turn.

7:46 PM  
Blogger Ellee Seymour said...

People who always say: "I can't do it," those that give up hope rather than inspire.

12:10 AM  
Blogger meggie said...

I find I judge many you have mentioned, & possibly a few more, relevant to where we live. I sometimes berate myself for being judgemental, but can happily make exceptions for the child molesters, the abusers etc.

I judge arrogance harshly.

Thank you for your kind words & thoughts.

2:40 AM  
Blogger beachgirl said...

Wow, where to start.

People who put others down to boost themselves up.

Liars.. Can't handle them. Can't handle being lied to.

Rude people.

People who go up to others and say "Your so skinny you make me sick". Excuse me. I don't go up to anyone and say "Your so fat, I want to vomit" I work hard to look like this, I eat healthy, and good genes. And my Mom weighed 300 lbs. I got lucky.

Ignorant people who have no tolerance for others cultures and beliefs. If you don't know, learn. Expand your mind a little. It won't kill you.

People who think anyone who goes to a nude beach and is a naturalist is a total pervert. Sorry. Not so. We just like no tan lines and the freedom to get them. There are perves around, but it's a safe beach to be on. I get harassed less naked then on a beach wearing a bikini. It's not sexual. You can get arrested for sex in public. And they will arrest you.

Angry people.

Have an awesome day.

5:03 AM  
Blogger laughingwolf said...

to your list i add: the self-righteous 'holy' men who turn out to be the worst of the worst

tanya and beachgirl have nice additions, too....

10:50 AM  
Blogger Marianne said...

Very good question, and people who wear sweatpants and criminals in the same list is hilarious!

I have to admit I do judge people with bad grammar, even though I can be terrible myself when I'm tired. Those apostrophes always get me! x M

11:26 AM  
Blogger Jazz said...

Oops I guess you judge me. I've been known to go to the opera in jeans...

12:24 PM  
Blogger Liz Dwyer said...

I co-sign on your list! Especially the sweatpants! :)

Can I add:

People who don't spay or neuter their pets.

People who don't read and just watch Fox News for information.

People who don't say "please" or "thank you".

People who have horribly bad table manners. Not just bad, but excrutiatingly bad.

Gosh, we a judgmental lot, aren't we!

5:07 PM  
Blogger geewits said...

I agree with your whole list, but in Texas jeans are acceptable almost everywhere if they are nice and the rest of the outfit is dressy. I also like all of Los Angelelista's list. I would add:
People who insist on something as a fact when they are wrong like that broad I used to play poker with that insisted, insisted that the Mason-Dixon line was the border of North Carolina and South Carolina. That was really annoying.

11:05 PM  
Blogger Echomouse said...

Heh. My list matches yours. I've got more too.

6:06 AM  
Blogger Echomouse said...

One more...when this happens online, fine. But when somebody does this in a real life conversation, I can't stand it. I have ended a newly forming friendship partly over this....

Grammar police.

It bugs the hell out of me because
1. It's rude
2. It's arrogant
3. For those of us with an illness, struggling to survive is more important than good grammar
4. I used to have excellent grammar and english skills. I've lost a lot of abilities and skills mostly due to #3, but shouldn't have to clarify that everyday. I would hope anyway.

6:11 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home