Thursday, May 01, 2008

Harm reduction or enabling? No easy answers.

If there were simple answers to the scourge of substance addiction, then society would be virtually paradisical. There would be little crime, little domestic abuse, rape would be rare, and our highways would be devoid of much vehicular mayhem. Everybody would get clean, sober and functional.

But, the problem with the ‘problem’ is that everybody has an opinion and in the recovery biz it’s often a case of that old Jimmy Durante cry of despair: “Everybody wantsta get into da act!”

That problem is, too many people with not a clue about the process of addiction or the realities of addicts’ lives, think they have an ideal solution. And, rest assured, opinions abound. Including many invalid opinions.

In this regard I find myself being highly conflicted. The trend of the moment via various health authorities is the process known as ‘harm reduction’ – not ‘harm elimination’, but merely reduction. You know, sort of like a philandering spouse suggesting that “Yes, I still am unfaithful, but not as much as I once was.”

Health authorities, by the way, are often populated by doctors, clinical sorts who bring all sorts of theories along with them. In my dealings with doctors as an addictions counsellor is that I’ve found that the average doctor knows unspeakably little about the nature of addiction. There are exceptions, of course, but that lies only with those who specialize in the field. Dr. Gabor Mate, whom I interviewed a little over a month ago knows a lot about addiction and addicts, and is also an advocate of harm reduction. As much as I respect his wisdom, we philosophically part company at that point. Harm reduction to me (and I could easily be wrong) smacks of enabling.

See, I’m old-fashioned enough that I have no idea whatsoever who or what a Miley Cyrus is, and I happen to believe in the so-called abstention model in dealing with substance. If some shit or other that you are drinking, smoking, injection is causing you or other\s grief, then you quit doing that – or not. If you do not choose to quit, then I guess you bear the consequences. But, I balk at the idea of helping you to keep doing what you’re doing if it is antithetical to the general weal of society.

I’m also old-fashioned enough to believe that people are much tougher and more determined than we give them credit for; especially if we demand that they be tough and determined and give them the tools and support needed to be tough and determined.

I only say this because over the years I have run into many people who have successfully kicked huge addictions are now leading fulfilling and productive lives. Was it hard for them? You bet. It was gruelling and brutal, and probably continues to be in certain regards. But, so is life. But, maybe it’s better to look at life face-on rather than escape via substance and artificial euphoria.

So, now that I have re-entered the counselling realm on a part-time basis, I am somewhat restricted in calling a spade-a-spade, a drunk-a-drunk, or a junkie-a-junkie. I can only suggest that there “might be a problem” and hope that the client has enough grip on reality to recognize that there ‘is’ a problem. As I have suggested before, if you have ever thought you ‘might’ have a problem with a certain lifestyle, then you ‘do’ have a problem. Those whose behavior is not problematic never think it might be.

So, while I might want to advise a client to get to AA or NA or some other abstention advocacy organization, I can merely suggest such a course as a possible option.

So, do I do much good? Is it of benefit to listen to a client with a significant alcohol problem who advises me that what he wants to do is really cut down on his drinking? My impulse is to say: “What you must do is cease drinking alcohol period, ASAP.” Even Dr. Mate agrees on abstention for boozers.

Such thoughts cross my mind because I have to go and deal with that alleged ‘problem’ drinker this afternoon. Nice guy, truly, who has lost his job, lost his home, lost his wife, lost his kids, but thinks he might be OK if he just limits his alcohol intake. Hmm.

Labels: ,

14 Comments:

Blogger Echomouse said...

You're a wonderful soul. I have no idea how to help these people. I just know I always feel terribly sad for them.

11:52 AM  
Blogger thailandchani said...

Well, I'm a former drunk. Abstinence is the only thing that worked for me. And the only thing that keeps me from drinking is the knowledge that I get to choose.

A lot of the current recovery literature leaves me a bit cold for a variety of reasons - too many to cite in a comment forum on a blog.

Suffice it to say that I agree with you.

12:25 PM  
Blogger Ellee Seymour said...

You are right Ian, I'm an all or nothing person too. I often think I would like to give up drinking for good, though I don't have a problem, but the older I get, the less I like it and it is just a habit.

12:45 PM  
Blogger Tanya Brown said...

Oy vey. Best of luck to both you and the client.

12:48 PM  
Blogger Jazz said...

To the guy you're seeing this afternoon I say: Bullshit.

You stop or you don't. I'm with you on this one.

1:18 PM  
Blogger laughingwolf said...

i used to smoke, a lot... started to hack blood, made up my mind to quit, cold turkey... so far so good, 30+ years later

to my mind, one must WANT to break a habit, not just substitute another one, which may or may not be 'better'

3:41 PM  
Blogger Janice Thomson said...

I admire and respect you Ian - I do not have your patience. I could not be a counselor.
My answer to any addiction, drugs, booze, TV, food, or otherwise is if you want to quit you will - No amount of talking, cajoling, anger or sympathy gets a person to stop. They must feel the absolute gut-wrenching need themselves first. Then I could counsel them - till then I feel it is all hot air - just like I've seen in myself over much less abusive things that I wanted (but not really) to quit doing.

9:39 PM  
Blogger beachgirl said...

Hi Ian,
I quit my addictions because I had to and had the desire to quit. It was tough. I have also realized that the Doctors in al their infinite wisdom gave me the ammunition to get out of control.
mine was xanex and booze. What a great combination. And the lexapro. I quit the xanex and booze cold turkey. Not easy. I still took the lexapro. So I didn't have my brain back yet. I still drank sometimes. But when I got off the lexapro. Any desire to drink or get drunk went out the window too. Amazing.
So maybe if the Dr's got people off the drugs, maybe people would give a shit again and realize that they have to stop in order to get well.
But thats my point of view and I've talked to many recovering addicts. There seems to be a pattern in the use of alcohol and anti depressants. You just don't care.
My family loves me now. I love me now. And I have my brain back. I am strong enough to stay away.
My best friend is still an alcoholic and doesn't seem to understand she has to stop and stop for good. Why anyone would voluntarily go thru the DT's all the time is beyond me. Plus she has seizures. I sometimes think she wants to die like her sister.

Good luck with your patient and hopefully some day he will be willing to help himself. No one but he can do it.

1:46 PM  
Blogger Hermes said...

The community in whicj I live has decided to live without alcohol or drugs... officially, anyway. THe by-law prohibiting alcohol is largely ignored. Even the police have been known to stock their fridges with beer. The argument I have heard is this: "Why can't I enjoy a beer with the hockey game just because someone else can't handle it?" Now we all know prohibition doesn't work. But, simple question: do you need it? If yes, get help. If no, why disrespect the wishes of the community? My years here have changed my perception of alcohol and drug use dramatically.
Thought provoking post.

6:35 PM  
Blogger Liz Dwyer said...

I totally agree with you. For an alcoholic, "limiting" the amount of liquor you consume is a impossible because judging a a moderate amount is impossible. He's deluded and hasn't even accepted Step 1. Admitting you're powerless over an addiction means you can't be around it. I feel for you and so admire what you're doing because how to make someone stop when they don't really think you should? The truth is, you can't.

11:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This topic fascinates me, Ian. There have been times when I felt like I might have a problem with drinking but looking back on it, I realize that I never did. I just didn't like that I drank (leftovers from childhood religious upbringing). So I have a strange attitude now about what we *think* we might be addicted to versus what we actually are. And perhaps our addictions morph? Now, alcohol doesn't seem to be a problem but a certain person from DC is. Fuck me. Thanks for writing about this. I truly am fascinated by those inner longings/urgings that are deeper than our conscious thought.

1:10 PM  
Blogger yanmaneee said...

balenciaga trainers
golden goose
mlb jerseys
air jordan
nike epic react flyknit
michael kors
nike air max 270
air max 97
off white clothing
fila shoes

3:18 AM  
Blogger yanmaneee said...

moncler outlet
kobe shoes
jordan shoes
converse outlet
air max 90
air max 270
supreme
nike air max 270
golden goose
balenciaga shoes

4:24 AM  
Blogger Darren Demers said...

So, while I might want to advise a client to get to AA or NA or some other abstention advocacy organization, I can merely suggest such a course as a possible option.
salwar suit piece wholesale ,
cotton printed salwar suits wholesale ,

1:51 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home