Sunday, May 11, 2008

Happy Mother's Day, y'all

Cynical sentiment holds that Mother’s Day was merely a marketing invention of the Hallmark Card Company.

I don’t care. For those mothers deserving of high praise for their stalwart efforts at what is often a thankless job, then I think they deserve whatever laurels they get.

For those not so skilled at the task, the results can be unfortunate. But, we offspring survive if we have an ounce of gumption that might have originated somewhere. If we don’t, then that is unfortunate for the individual and for society at large.

But, for bad mothers, all I can say is that some people just aren’t well-suited for the task. Mine wasn’t. So, MD was always a commemoration that left me with mixed emotions. “What should I thank her for?” I once said to a former wife. Well now, in retrospect, I can think of a couple of things, like food on the table and a roof over the head and clean clothing.

When she was sober I ‘liked’ my Mom. When she wasn’t, I loathed her. So, I don’t know if I could go so far as to say I loved her, so ‘like’ (part of the time) will have to suffice.

So, Happy Mother’s Day, Mom.

And for the rest of you out there:


Happy Mother’s Day!

I am sure you deserve it. I have nothing but respect for good mothers. Even for my ex-wife who, despite our disputes, was just a terrific mother to her daughter, which is why I always send her a Mother’s Day greeting each year.


Labels:

10 Comments:

Blogger Janice Thomson said...

Good on you Ian for sending a card to your ex and appreciating her talent as a mother.

5:20 PM  
Blogger Tanya Brown said...

I will state the obvious: you're a brilliant, charming man and I'm sure you were an engaging, bright child. Your mother's addiction, if that was what she had, cheated both of you. You deserved better, and she missed out. For these things I am sorry.

However, I'm glad that she brought you into the world and that time has brought a measure of peace. Here's hoping that your Mother's Day was a good one.

9:50 PM  
Blogger jmb said...

What a nice thing to do Ian. But you must be very nice since you manage to stay on relatively good terms with your exes.

I was going to write something about my mother that was a bit negative but changed my mind and went with a happy photo of us together instead.

Her legacy to me was to try to be a better mother to my children.

11:41 PM  
Blogger riseoutofme said...

Hi Ian ... regular stints on the computer are like goldust for me at the moment! So just trying to catch up here!

Our mothers did the best that they could so for that we acknowledge them. But really, I'm of the cynical, hallmark baiting tradition ... why just one day? What if you don't care for flowers and cards? What if you are filled with regrets for the mistakes you made?

Yes, I think I'll stay with the unspoken acknowledgements for a job done to the best of my ability.

1:20 AM  
Blogger laughingwolf said...

no quarrel from me on any point, and good to see you support the ex for her 'mothering'....

4:29 AM  
Blogger Tai said...

Well, I love my Mom every single day of the year, and I try to make sure she knows it. One more day that I can say 'thank you' to her and tell her I love her is gravy.

8:39 AM  
Blogger meggie said...

I feel I tried to be the best mother I could. I tried not to repeat mistakes I felt my mother had made. But I suppose I made my own. I do love my children- perhaps to smother point!
It is a day for thought, for reasons other than happy families.

1:00 AM  
Blogger Dr. Deb said...

I agree that certain remembrance days can be too corporate.

10:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's a lovely tradition of sending your ex a card.

7:30 AM  
Blogger Eastcoastdweller said...

I like that tradition of sending your ex a card, too. My blog buddy at chasemarch.blogspot.com wrote a post recently about the need for people to get along in such a manner, even after their relationship has ended.

9:19 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home